Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Many modern auto oils have molybdenum added and with motorcycle engines having a wet clutch, moly coats everything with a slippery concoction. As the oil is shared between the engine and the clutch, the clutch becomes infected by it and slips accordingly. In that case you have to strip it down and wash all the parts and reassemble, a buddy of mine suggest using diesel for a few miles to flush it out then fresh oil for a day or so then another change to seal the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by colm54 View Post
    Many modern auto oils have molybdenum added and with motorcycle engines having a wet clutch, moly coats everything with a slippery concoction. As the oil is shared between the engine and the clutch, the clutch becomes infected by it and slips accordingly. In that case you have to strip it down and wash all the parts and reassemble, a buddy of mine suggest using diesel for a few miles to flush it out then fresh oil for a day or so then another change to seal the deal. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many diesel oils contain Moly, Rotella T for example that is rated Jaso MA. Of the cycle oils I've tested, Valvoline contains the least and Mobil 1 the most. I noticed that Jaybro's lab report of BRP oil contained no significant amount of Moly.
    I guess the question is, how much is too much? I've never read the answer to that.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And while diesel is an old school trick for trying to clean sludge out of an engine (most times it does more harm once the sludge cuts loose), I would never, ever, run it in an engine that also shares the oil with the trans and clutch.....no way!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Here is an interesting read for you from S.A.E. http://www.sae.org/search/?qt=Motorcycle+oils&x=0&y=0
    and Cal-sci on oil filters http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html
    The A.P.I. Site isn't as easy to navigate as the S.A.E. Site, plenty of reading for .. years..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by opiewhan View Post
    Just did switch over to Mobil 1 4 stroke 10/40..Engine runs smooth and tranny is very quite..Thinking its also easier to find should you be out in BFE.. price BRP 12.99 qt. Mobil 1 $9.67 qt..
    Mike(blueknight) posted yesterday that WalMart has Valvoline Full Synthetic 4T 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil @$35.00/6pack($5.83/qt) +tax. Shipping either to your house or your closest WalMart is FREE. I decided this was too good a deal to pass up, especially when my servicing dealer was cool with it. I'll be joining the Full Syn 10W-40 oil club @my first service at the end of September.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited