Spyder Garage

Default Help! New owner/Spyder off but hear a faint continuous tone?

Good Morning Spyderlovers,

Just pulled my new 14 ST-S SE5 from the garage to the driveway for it's first wipe down/wash.

All I did was start it, pull it out and shut it off, the Spyder was only started for less than 30 seconds

As I was wiping it down with plastic polish and microfiber I can hear a very faint, continuous electronic tone, almost like one of the higher frequency tones you hear during a hearing test, only its non-stop.

The Spyder is off, the kill switch is in the off position, the key is removed, and the electronic parking brake is on.

The sound is not the fan, and I've not noticed this this tone before. It is very faint and distant but definitely there.

I've finished wiping it down 210 plastic cleaner/polish, and now 30 minutes later I can still hear the faint tone.

I've worked in a helicopter for over 20 years and have some mild hearing loss, but I don't think I've heard this before.

Now I'm wondering if something is wrong, and if the tone is going to drain the battery.

Any insight anyone?

Thanks

Wilson
    Last edited by ViperWolf; 07-29-2015 at 08:10 AM.

ViperWolf (work ryde & play ryde)
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac

Spyder Garage

This is normal... Don't remember what causes it, but you'll hear it for up to 20-30 min. after shutting the Spyder off..
    Kagey

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Spyder RTS SE5 - Quantum Blue Metallic - LED RT HMT Brake Light W/Dual Converter Unit - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs
    SpyderPops "Missing Belt Guard" - "Butt Buffer" Butt Pad - Utopia Backrest - Original Grip Buddies - Digital Volt Gauge
    Analog Clock - Shark LED Light Kit - BajaRon's SwayBar - Mud Flap - Custom Dynamics Radiator Inlet Covers
    Seal FloorBoards
    - Baker Air Wings - SpyderPops BumpSkid

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

perfectly normal...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ViperWolf View Post

Just pulled my new 14 ST-S SE5 from the garage to the driveway for it's first wipe down/wash.

All I did was start it, pull it out and shut it off, the Spyder was only started for less than 30 seconds

As I was wiping it down with plastic polish and microfiber I can hear a very faint, continuous electronic tone, almost like one of the higher frequency tones you hear during a hearing test, only its non-stop.

The Spyder is off, the kill switch is in the off position, the key is removed, and the electronic parking brake is on.

The sound is not the fan, and I've not noticed this this tone before. It is very faint and distant but definitely there.

I've finished wiping it down 210 plastic cleaner/polish, and now 30 minutes later I can still hear the faint tone.

I've worked in a helicopter for over 20 years and have some mild hearing loss, but I don't think I've heard this before.

Now I'm wondering if something is wrong, and if the tone is going to drain the battery.

Any insight anyone?

Thanks

Wilson
    I think a good test would be for you to grab your polishing cleaner and cloth and come demonstrate exactly what you were doing at my house on my Spyder. I'm thinking with repeated tests here, we'll eventually figure it out! I use the 210 also ever since I bought my Tulsa windshield for my Goldwing in 2003 and ordered the cleaner kit from them. Windshield still look near new.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't worry

Any insight anyone?

Thanks

Wilson
    That just the nuclear reactor cooling down, you are wearing the led apron while you wash the Spyder aren't you?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Relax. .!!

This is a normal procedure the spyder has to shut down the throttle bodies. They need to cool down so times may vary with the ryde so don't worry if it not always the same...they could have made it a bit more musical...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    That just the nuclear reactor cooling down, you are wearing the led apron while you wash the Spyder aren't you?

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mr. Cognac does it too. I went to my psychiatrist and talked about it. Mr. Cognac still does it but it does not bother me now.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

The only thing I hear when I turn my off is my 2 passengers saying Woof Woof [meaning "not yet lets go"]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    This is a normal procedure the spyder has to shut down the throttle bodies. They need to cool down so times may vary with the ryde so don't worry if it not always the same...they could have made it a bit more musical...
    x 2. The "scientific" answer to the situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for your replies and easing my worries

Continuous tone is throttle body action to prevent a hot restart, perfectly normal as you all reported.

thank you

ViperWolf (work ryde & play ryde)
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac

Spyder Garage

Continuous tone is throttle body action to prevent a hot restart, perfectly normal as you all reported.

thank you
    This is covered on page 45 of your owner's manual.

2018 F3 LIMITED