Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Would you recommend RT for single rider?

Hi there:
    I test drove an RT limited last weekend and loved it! I am a beginner rider and probably won't be making any long distance trips with it any time soon. I was originally thinking about the ST semi-automatic but my husband thinks the 1330 is a far superior motor. However, I don't plan on having a passenger on most rides so the seat will be empty most of the time. He will be on his Yamaha. For whatever reason, having that back seat and storage behind me makes me feel more comfortable and safer... Any thoughts on this? Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

i only ride single also and have a 14 rt. i love the size of it and it has plenty of storage if you need it. but the most important this is your pocket book
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I have been riding single for the last few years and I can tell you that you will love the RT, especially so if you feel more secure. The 1330 IS superior in many respects and is probably the future for BRP. Unless you REALLY love the riding style of the ST, go for the RT and enjoy! Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Think of the RT 1330 combo as getting started out in a Cadillac. You will not be disappointed. If you need to carry a passenger you are covered. If you don't, you have the sofa to yourself.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I love my RT and mostly ride solo.Mine is the 2012 Vtwin. Having said that, go with the 1330 if you can afford it.If you aren't going to do any touring in the near future look at an F3. I rode one while they were doing an oil change on mine and it is a blast to ride. If you want to make it more versatile you can add bags,racks backrests etc as time need and money demand.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My wife and I each have our own RTas nether one of us are good passengers and when we go shopping we can strap down extra things(that won't fit in frunk,thunk or saddlebags) to the passenger seat.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ride single on the Beast all the time, and it doesn't compromise the ride at all. I still pound it on the turns and go plenty fast when I need it. Or just want to fly. I have had it up to 109mph and it gets there easily. Then when my wife rides with me, it is very comfortable for her and we have plenty of room if we take a weekend at the beach. Best of both worlds.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I ride my RT solo almost all of the time. As it's also used as a commuter to get to/from work, and the extra storage is absolutely essential.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

I would also consider riding posture in your purchase. The RS, ST, RT, and F3 all have different riding positions. Therefore, you should consider what YOU are most comfortable riding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    I would also consider riding posture in your purchase. The RS, ST, RT, and F3 all have different riding positions. Therefore, you should consider what YOU are most comfortable riding.
    Bulls-eye!!!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Bulls-eye!!!

Besides; the extra storage room in the RTs is rarely wasted!
    Think; "Shopping Trips"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may want to "wait and see" what BRP is going to unveil @Sturgis this Friday afternoon. There are all sorts of rumors floating around about what the big reveal might be. The ones that have the most traction are:
    1. The elimination of the 998 V-Twin for the 1330 in all models, and
    2. An intro level Spyder similar to the Spark in the Sea-Doo lineup. ??? 900cc triple.
    If it is point #1, you would have an even harder decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbee93003 View Post
    Hi there:
    I test drove an RT limited last weekend and loved it! I am a beginner rider and probably won't be making any long distance trips with it any time soon. I was originally thinking about the ST semi-automatic but my husband thinks the 1330 is a far superior motor. However, I don't plan on having a passenger on most rides so the seat will be empty most of the time. He will be on his Yamaha. For whatever reason, having that back seat and storage behind me makes me feel more comfortable and safer... Any thoughts on this? Thanks!!
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    This is the reason I bought the RT to start with. I had a 2010 RTS SE5 and traded it in on a 2015 RT Limited. The 1330 motor and the SE6 transmission are awesome. The improvement is a 110% better than the 998 motor and the SE5 transmission. If you want a sportier ride I would buy the F3 because of the motor and SE6 transmission. I rode an F3 for about 250 miles and I felt very comfortable while riding it.
    I have a neck problem so that is my reason for buying an RT to begin with because of the riding position and also I have my wife riding with me from time to time but mostly I ride solo.
    The F3 is a comfortable riding position but there is more wind and less storage for tourng but for one up solo day tripping it is a great spyder. You can also get a set of saddle bags to carry when touring.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I ride single on the Beast all the time, and it doesn't compromise the ride at all. I still pound it on the turns and go plenty fast when I need it. Or just want to fly. I have had it up to 109mph and it gets there easily. Then when my wife rides with me, it is very comfortable for her and we have plenty of room if we take a weekend at the beach. Best of both worlds.
    . Plus I have loaded a full week's worth of groceries in the luggage compartments and still had room left.

When I feel really reckless though I ride the wife's F3s.

Spyder Garage

I too have a 2015 RT limited, and ride single most of the time. I love it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I traded my 2011 RT for the 2015 RT Limited and just got back from a trip to the Tail of Dragon
    My hubs rides a Kawasaki Voyager. When we are on trips and get to our destination, we hop on the Spyder for touring around the town because it is easier to maneuver and park. The '11 came with luggage in all 4 compartments which I never used because I could get more stuff in the compartments without the luggage.
    2015 Spyder RT Limited, Red Pearl
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Contigo Cup
    Cup Holder
    Cargo Nets
    Additional turn signals mounted behind speaker grill
    12v cable for heated clothing
    Sheepskin seat cover
    Baja Ron Sway bar

Myles of Smyles!!

2011 Spyder RT
    Viper Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Charlotte,
    When you ride together on the Spyder; do you put him in the rear seat?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If you go with the RT, you will be thankful, the first time you go on a long trip and everything fits in your Spyder, rather than on your Spyder!

Just because you don't have a passenger is no reason not to get an RT. Look how many people drive cars with empty back seats!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default single rider

Go for the RT my wife loves hers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I vote for the RT as well, my wife loves hers.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I would also wait a while to see the New Models and with that comes Bigger Rebates for the One you may want???
    I Love my RT because I can fly through my little twisty backroads Faster on it than I can on my GS because I can muscle the RT around corners with BajaRons sway bar and be in complete control while the GS keeps trying to toss me off the side?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think you should make up your own mind. Ride them all. Then you can make an informed decision. I love my ST Limited. I can keep up with anyone through the twisties ( and I don't even have the BajaRon sway bar ). My husband has the RTS and loves it (He has the Ella shocks, the sway bar....all of the goodies). We travel on our Spyders more than anything (no just riding to the store, et) I have never had a problem with running out of room for all of my gear. I can ride as far as he can an am quite comfortable. I also like the sporty look of my bike compared to his......To each his own......
    Last edited by 03hdjill; 07-30-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also vote for going for the larger engine. I ryde solo and have the 2014 RTS. Cover and tire kit in the left saddlebag, rain gear in the right saddlebag. Helmet, gloves, etc, in the frunk. Purse and other miscellaneous in the rear trunk.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default She drives it better than I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Charlotte,
    Yep - Sometimes I drive - sometimes she drives. It sure made for a few Photo Ops with the other Vulcan Riders at the motel when we left for dinner. She has more miles of experience on 3 wheels than I ever want to have.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Charlotte,
    Most of the time... sometimes I let him drive so that I can decide where to stop to shop!
    2015 Spyder RT Limited, Red Pearl
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Contigo Cup
    Cup Holder
    Cargo Nets
    Additional turn signals mounted behind speaker grill
    12v cable for heated clothing
    Sheepskin seat cover
    Baja Ron Sway bar

Myles of Smyles!!

2011 Spyder RT
    Viper Red