Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP are you listening?

Okay how do I say all this without sounding like a complainer? In my opinion it seems like the more enhancements BRP tries to make the further they get from their roots.

I had an 11 RT and now have an original 08 GS so I feel somewhat qualified to make that statement. Granted, the three cylinder 1330 engine seems to be a real upgrade. Hands down, no argument here on that (even though I've heard people here make the case that the original twin is actually more fun to jump on from a dead stop).

I am of the opinion that the original Spyders were sportier, handled better and had fewer maintenance issues than anything BRP has put on the market since. Yes, a touring model was needed so I get it. But the problems all seemed to snowball when the RT was introduced - don't even get me started on the model year 2013 - and again it is my opinion that over the years the RTs and the problems associated with them have resulted in BRP drifting from their original mission of building a fun and dependable three wheeler that will appeal to the masses.

So now we sit and eat our popcorn waiting for the 2016 unveiling at Sturgis. If this were 2010 I'd be excited to see what's coming. But after the disasters of the last few years I'm thinking 2016 will be another big yawn. Come on BRP let's show em what you're made of. Let's cut down on the glitz and glamour and get back to making a good ole down and dirty, dependable three wheeler.

Less is definitely more in this business. That's our opinion. We welcome yours.
    Bill H.

Spyder Garage

I look at the whole picture a bit differently.

I have had two of the original versions of GS/RS. 2008 and 2009

I have had three RT's. Two with the 998 and one with the 1330.

No ST here (an RS with possible extra side bags and no rear trunk).

No F3--a styled RS with a 1330 engine in it.

I see each version as a bit of a tweek and an improvement over the previous iterations.

O yes, 2013 RT was a model that most would like to forget. It took a long time--but the fix seems to be in--for the good--IMO.

Speculation is rampant for 2016--and about three more days will have some of that mystery solved.

With all the money spent on R & D, most companies are going to go very slow like we have seen. The fact that 2014 introduced the 1330 on two different models (RT and F3) is pretty much amazing to me. Here we got a new engine and a new model, as well as a major model upgrade.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Bill:

I wasn't interested at all in the Spyder line in the early days. Once they released the touring model the RT was the machine for me. So, IMO they didn't lose their way at BRP... they just opened another market and I think it has been quite a lucrative one for them. You still have the '08 so you can say you ride a vintage Spyder.

I don't look for too much in 2016... they have quite a few models now that they can tweak and I expect that the tweaking will carry through for a couple of years anyway.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

But then again there have not been any problems, to speak of, with the original all through the changes upgrades and additions other than they have done nothing to it. New colors... I agree they should..like a bigger twin, the nanny changes they gave the F3, the better suspensions etc. Instead we got less horsepower, giant cat and heavier muffler and some colors they ripped off a clowns back (RSS) ah well, the 16's will all be the same but with new colors..nothing new maybe an engine upgrade for the ST hoping it can pull up its numbers...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry, nothing personal, but you sound like a complainer. I like my 2014 RT, but maybe I am the exception. Heck, I even like my dealer, lol!

Spyder Garage

I have a 13 RS SM5.
    NO glitter only the farkles I added. No special electronlcs.

I belive in keeping it simple (less problems)

Love my RS

Spyder Garage

Have had three RTs in the family. The 2010 RTS was our first Spyder. It was fun, but alas, it died a premature death. Which resulted in the wife getting a new 2014 RTS. I still had my 2012 RTS. I really liked it. Had a lot of fun on it. Rode it to Spyderquest and back. No issues. But the 1330 bug bit me. So now I have an F3S. I like it. I miss the storage on the RT, and the windshield. But the F3 is way more comfortable for me. My legs and hips don't ache as much on the F3.

I am anxious to see what BRP has in store for the 2016 model year. The F3 will have a change in the nanny, only because it will be able to tow a trailer, and I'm guessing a radio too. Maybe some new colors and color combinations across the model spectrum. The clown colors will go away. The RS may go away but I doubt it. I think it will retain the 998 and be an entry level only bike. If the ST is still in the stable, it will probably have an upgraded drive train. I won't say it will have the 1330, but it might. I kind of have a feeling that the ST will be discontinued. The ST and F3 are too much alike. To me it wouldn't be good tactics to have both of them competing for customers. That's my 2 cents worth.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhfromme View Post
    I had an 11 RT and now have an original 08 GS so I feel somewhat qualified to make that statement. Granted, the three cylinder 1330 engine seems to be a real upgrade. Hands down, no argument here on that (even though I've heard people here make the case that the original twin is actually more fun to jump on from a dead stop).

I am of the opinion that the original Spyders were sportier, handled better and had fewer maintenance issues than anything BRP has put on the market since.
    Guess you weren't around when the original 08 GSs came out. There were fires and DPS issues (the GS would go where It wanted to, not where You wanted it to go.) Not a good feeling. Use search and learn about the early years.

BRP has worked the bugs out of the originals now and they're running great. Each new type Spyder has had their quirks that needed working out...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default Listening

I have had a '12 RT Ltd since '12. Only 1 minor issue with the air ride that BRP helped out with. I can say the V has been a great engine, would like to have a 6 speed, but once I got used to the elevated revs, it is great. I think they have done a great job with all things considered. Hell Chrysler, Ford and GM have cerrtainly had their issues and they keep on rolling along. Lets face it, machines are just that, machines and they all have some issues. All in all, got to say BRP has done it right. Think about the changes to the icon cars, 'vette, Mustang, Camaro, 'Cuda etc... we all bitched, but... they all have worked out and been improved. So to, I submit, will BRP and the Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Guess you weren't around when the original 08 GSs came out. There were fires and DPS issues (the GS would go where It wanted to, not where You wanted it to go.) Not a good feeling. Use search and learn about the early years.

BRP has worked the bugs out of the originals now and they're running great. Each new type Spyder has had their quirks that needed working out...
    There were DPS issues; but, I don't remember the fire issues on the GS. Some felt there was too much heat on their right foot, and still others had the Y gaskets go early. The only safety recall was for the DPS.
    Last edited by wyliec; 07-28-2015 at 09:50 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ENGINES & SPYDERS

I've said this many many times ......The RT should NEVER have had the V-twin. But it was all they had at the time. The V-twin does not work well in a Tupperware covered Motorcycle....at least not our Spyders.........jmho.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    There were DPS issues; but, I don't remember the fire issues on the GS. Some felt there was too much heat on their right foot, and still others had the Y gaskets go early. The only safety recall was for the DPS.
    There were two or three fires on early GS models. Some interesting threads. One of the early fire victims is still around today. He will surface if he wants to.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    There were two or three fires on early GS models. Some interesting threads. One of the early fire victims is still around today. He will surface if he wants to.
    What did they find was the problem? I don't remember any safety recall relating to fires.

My memory is coming back. Is this when BRP extended the vent tube based on VIN. I talked to Carlo at the time b/c my VIN wasn't on the list, and he contacted my dealer to have the new vent tube installed.

Thanks for reminding me.

I also remember having a problem no one else ever had, and having to agree to a non-disclosure clause, and then receiving a reimbursement. Wow, I had completely forgotten. I still have my 2008 GS, SM5.
    Last edited by wyliec; 07-29-2015 at 06:42 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you disclose it now??
    You've piqued the curiosity of a lot of us!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cleg View Post
    I have had a '12 RT Ltd since '12. Only 1 minor issue with the air ride that BRP helped out with. I can say the V has been a great engine, would like to have a 6 speed, but once I got used to the elevated revs, it is great. I think they have done a great job with all things considered. Hell Chrysler, Ford and GM have cerrtainly had their issues and they keep on rolling along. Lets face it, machines are just that, machines and they all have some issues. All in all, got to say BRP has done it right. Think about the changes to the icon cars, 'vette, Mustang, Camaro, 'Cuda etc... we all bitched, but... they all have worked out and been improved. So to, I submit, will BRP and the Spyder
    Curious! Why the heck would you want a 6th gear with the v-twin? I spend most of my ride time in 4th to keep rpms over 5K. When I do go to 5th it is usually when I am over 65 mph. If they went 6 speed, they would have had to change the gearing completely.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why do you need to keep the revs up over 5K?
    As long as the clutches are fully locked-up; the bike is happy.
    (That happens over 1,000 rpm earlier)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Why do you need to keep the revs up over 5K?
    As long as the clutches are fully locked-up; the bike is happy.
    (That happens over 1,000 rpm earlier)
    To keep the engine in its sweet spot in the power band. At 4k, if you are riding in 5th, the bike is lugging. I ride in 4th from about 50 mph (appx as I can't recall exactly) to about 60 mph.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Red face Cudos

I am new to the Spyder but have ridden two wheelers for over 20 years and thought I was happy with my last two wheel bike. But after a test ride on the RT I was very happy and brought one. I can't speak for others but I expect good things in the future for BRP.

Blade

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can you disclose it now??
    You've piqued the curiosity of a lot of us!
    Short story- I have a 2008 SM5, and someone forget to torque (or forgot to lock-tite) the bolt that holds the clutch basket to the crankshaft. Let me just say I was able to avoid stalling on a busy highway; made it to the shoulder just in time.

Oh yeah, while the gf, I, and our dog were waiting for a flat bed, of all the vehicles passing us by, cars and bikes, two Harley riders at different times stopped to offer assistance.

Spyder Garage

My Buell has the Rotax, too...hates being below 4k on the RPMs, worse than the Spyder.

It would be nice to see a CVT option on the SE, as opposed to semi auto shifting. Many cars and most of the SidexSides have CVT and more are coming out with turbos, too. 144hp on the new RZR turbo. If they can handle the CVT, the Spyder definitely could. It would really simplify things (P R D D1)and make it easier especially for those that really need it to become part of "enabled" group.

Otherwise, I really think they need consider looking at some of the naked bikes out there(Triumph Triple, KTM Duke, Ducati Motard/Street Fighter)...missing a BIG market, not having a simple naked sport trike. One of the biggest complaints about the Spyder and definitely not eveyone wants a Frunk or luggage on it. Many just want a simple frame to ride. I don't see any other manufacturers making tour bikes ONLY...
    Last edited by AMTJIM; 07-29-2015 at 09:34 AM.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Damned if they do, damned if they don't...

Personally, I'm very glad they continued to improve on the RT for 2010 to 2014, because my 2014 is a far better machine.

The F3 seems to have made a lot of people happy, and adds something new to the lineup.

Yes, we all agree that the 2013 RT was a huge problem, but you don't make progress and grow without making mistakes (although it could and should have been handled far better). I also can't imagine that they don't need a reasonably sized market to make it profitable to continue to produce and maintain our Spyders.

These, also, are not two wheeled motorcycles, and had they approached this by simply trying to add a third wheel to what already exits then I have a strong feeling that they would be far less than they are. From a design point of view, I think it makes a lot of sense that they believe they are something different than a motorcycle, because that perspective opens up creativity and possibilities.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT

The RT version was the first i ever seen and what attracted me to the Can Am Spyder line up. I didn't know about the RS/ST/GS versions until i started researching the RT. I was hooked on the RT's style. I had to have a and it had to be the RT without a doubt. I have read about a lot of problems with the but i guess that's with anything . I'm still a fan of the RT more than any other model.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    What did they find was the problem? I don't remember any safety recall relating to fires.

My memory is coming back. Is this when BRP extended the vent tube based on VIN. I talked to Carlo at the time b/c my VIN wasn't on the list, and he contacted my dealer to have the new vent tube installed.

Thanks for reminding me.

I also remember having a problem no one else ever had, and having to agree to a non-disclosure clause, and then receiving a reimbursement. Wow, I had completely forgotten. I still have my 2008 GS, SM5.
    There was no answer to the problem that I know of. Speculation was about evap canister getting full of gas and causing the fires.

And yes, Carlo was involved. One of the victims wanted them eat the 2008 and give him the new red 2009 SE5 that was sitting on the dealers showroom floor. Lots of discussion over that one.

Memories?????
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-30-2015 at 10:43 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    Otherwise, I really think they need consider looking at some of the naked bikes out there(Triumph Triple, KTM Duke, Ducati Motard/Street Fighter)...missing a BIG market, not having a simple naked sport trike. One of the biggest complaints about the Spyder and definitely not eveyone wants a Frunk or luggage on it. Many just want a simple frame to ride. I don't see any other manufacturers making tour bikes ONLY...
    Um, pay attention here y'all. He is onto something here............the F3 took us in this direction, but not far enough....

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

OK, so maybe now is the time to bring this one up again. Back about 2004 or so when we were riding some of the Spyder prototypes and then de-briefing afterwards, I brought up the subject of the dual-sport Spyder. One with more ground clearance that could be ridden on forest roads. The Spyder team looked at me like I was high or something. They said that ATVs or side-by-sides could do that, to which my response was "only on designated trails". They asked why I wanted such a crazy thing. Simple, was my response, I wanted a Spyder that we could ride on all of the gravel forest roads, or on paved roads, like a dual sport bike. I was asking for a street-legal Spyder that would also be legal on ALL roads open to a plated vehicle. I wanted a Spyder that we could drift through the gravel roads on, like a rally car. One that we could ride on all of the state and federal forest roads that our snowmobile trails were on in the winter. They were thinking street bike, I was thinking dirt bike (or snowmobile).

The dual sport adventure bike market is exploding right now. I own a Kawasaki KLR 650 just for the purpose of being able to ride on pavement, on gravel, on forest roads, even on the single track dirt bike trails. With the popularity of dual sport adventure bikes, maybe the time has come to explore such a "crazy" machine once again. Maybe not what this crowd here would be looking for, but there are a good number of potentials out there that would see the benefit of such a crazy machine. Every ATV, side by side and snowmobile owner would jump at the chance to ride legally on any right of way that a plated vehicle can drive on. Paved or not. This custom Spyder here from Italy is the closest I have seen....
    Attached Images Attached Images

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD