Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

As far as steering is concerned, there's a reason it is different than your 2-wheeler. On 2 wheeler, you steer using a technique called 'counter steering'. That means to turn right, you actually nudge the handlebars slightly left to initiate a right hand lean, which then results in your right hand turn. Over the years your brain no longer has to tell your arms how to do it, they already know. Brain says 'turn right' & the arms take it from there. On the Spyder, when your brain says 'turn right' & your arms do what they have always done, you end up going left, which can spook you. I know when I first rode a Spyder, I hadn't considered the difference in turning technique required and had a very difficult time with it. even going straight was a challenge since that involves constant course corrections. I finally pulled off the road to think about what was happening and why. I figured it out and then began thinking about how to make the turn instead of just assuming I knew how already. With a little thought and retraining, all came together. Now I can switch between my Spyder and Goldwing and have no problems steering each.

Now, remembering to put my feet down at a stop on the Goldwing is another story...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

I think you will be very satisfied with your choice. Now, do yourself a big favor and do two important things: RTFM and watch the videos. There is a wealth of very good information in both mediums. Good luck and have fun.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I think you will be very satisfied with your choice. Now, do yourself a big favor and do two important things: RTFM and watch the videos. There is a wealth of very good information in both mediums. Good luck and have fun.
    Can you broadcast the manual thru Bluetooth radio while riding ???? So I can LTFM it

Willie
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    ...I do a lot of national Grand Tours, which are national scavenger type hunts. This year one of them is the Pirate Tour, where you seek out towns with AR, AHOY, AYE or AVAST in the name, ride to the town, find a sign with the name of the towns, take a picture of the sign with your bike in it and rally flag. ...
    I did the TT2000 in Feb this year which is the New Zealand version of one of those. Did 54 checkpoints (photo of bike, rally t-shirt and landmark) and 1,353 miles in little over 32 hours - obviously did stop to sleep:-). The Spyder was fantastic for that, just ate up the miles and was so comfortable - and that's on a standard RS. My stop times at the checkpoints was much shorter than on a bike and it's surprising how much time that saves you overall.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 07-30-2015 at 12:23 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Pulled the trigger

Yesterday at 6pm I put a deposit down on a RT-S, a white one. Why white, because it matches our helmets. MeAsWe is really really REALLY!! excited about the new bike. She gets to go on the treasure hunts again. I didn't realize that she enjoyed the journeys so much. So sometime in the next 2 weeks we fly into Chicago from Massachusetts and ride the 970 or so miles home. What a great way to break in a new bike. Of course we will be capturing the Whispering Giant in Ottawa IL and then the one south of Akron OH, which is right next to the one in West Middlesex, PA. Unfortunately the one in Williamsport PA, rot has taken its toll and they had to take it down and store it sometime after May. Filling in the journey to home will be umpteen Pirate towns. This will keep us off the interstates, which is the way we like to roll (3 vs 2 wheels).

Pretty excited about the new acquisition and looking forward to becoming a regular here. If ya in the New England area give a holler and we will meet up for coffee, maybe some breakfast or you can hit on one of our great diners out here. I don't live very far from the old Worcester Lunch Car Company factory and the Miss Worcester Diner right across the street has killa food.

Now to get some posts up on how to route some wires for my GPS's. Doesn't have to be neat, just needs to work.

Willie
    2015 RT-S , White