Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New to Spyder World - Looking for some advice

First a little about me. Ride a FJR right now. Do a fair amount of multiple day trips, but generally under 4 days now. Use to be on the road for 17+ days at a time. Ride 2 up. GF can no longer mount the FJR, she can't swing her leg over. Oh age me 64 and generally out of shape. I do a lot of Grand Tours. For instance on Friday and Saturday did a 850+ loop stopping at 37 towns for a pic of a sign with the town name, my grand tour flag and a substantial part of the bike in the pic. This was solo and GF wants to come along.

That's is kind of a summary of how I ride. For farkles (I assume that term transfers over here) I run dual GPS's and that's about it. No heated vests, no music, tank bag for carrying my cameras and we do have an in helmet Bluetooth communication.

I have narrowed the Spyders down to the ST or the RT. I will probably go with the semi automatic. Not interested in the Zumo or mount. we over the top for cost. For the ST we will order a back rest and at a minimum the rigid side bags (unless there is an aftermarket soft bags available).

With all of that said, what are y'all's recommendation. I think this is essentially working down to the difference between the 998 and 1330 motors. I did like the seat on the ST-S a whole lot better than the RT.

Greatly appreciate the responses.

Willie
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

For the long rides I would go with the RT and there are some great deals on the new ones right now. Plus the 1330 is a lower RPM motor with more torque and fuel mileage plus it runs cooler for the rider. The base RT is a fine machine and there are many seats available to change the feel. The storage on the RT is also great.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RT might be your better choice, if you like piling on the miles.
    It'll give you much better fuel economy with the 1330 triple, and the maintenance routine is significantly reduced as well.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FIRST THING

Because of your main concern, you need to go to a showroom with your GF and see if She can get on any Spyder......If not your search is to find something else.........and if money is a concern check with IMotorsports they have an AD here and are currently selling 2015's at very very good prices and they will ship it to you for free.....................jmho, Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's time to try out some saddles...
    Happy Hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Because of your main concern, you need to go to a showroom with your GF and see if She can get on any Spyder......If not your search is to find something else.........and if money is a concern check with IMotorsports they have an AD here and are currently selling 2015's at very very good prices and they will ship it to you for free.....................jmho, Mike
    We have been to the show room and sat on both. She did as well. Yes she can easily mount the Spyder. Much easier than mounting a FJR. Where do I find these ads. New to this site.

Willie

Edited...found IMotorsports...google is a very good friend...thank you
    EndEdit
    Last edited by Fjrwillie; 07-28-2015 at 08:38 AM.
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Default Advice

For touring it's hard to beat the RTs, they have plenty of room for storage and with a trailer you can bring everything she needs to be comfortable,
    My wife felt so secure and safe on one she went out and bought her own and this was the first bike she ever rode by herself , she has 18,000 miles on it in the last 7 months.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    For touring it's hard to beat the RTs, they have plenty of room for storage and with a trailer you can bring everything she needs to be comfortable,
    My wife felt so secure and safe on one she went out and bought her own and this was the first bike she ever rode by herself , she has 18,000 miles on it in the last 7 months.
    Thanks for the response. As far as traveling and what we bring...we are able to travel on the FJR with the 2 side bags (about the size of the ones on the ST Touring one and a Givi trunk for well over 3 weeks. Actually our space requirements for packing is the same no matter how long the trips are. Our mantra if we really need something we can buy it at a Walmart while we are traveling.
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds like the ST with the side bags would work for you as well as the RT. Then I'd compare the two for other features. For me, the 1330 triple would seal the deal for the RT.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

It sounds like the ST with the side bags would work for you as well as the RT. Then I'd compare the two for other features. For me, the 1330 triple would seal the deal for the RT.
    I thought I was all set on the ST but then I got to thinking since we need a backrest and the larger engine just might be more suited for our trips. While I am not an over the top speed rider on the bike, I am not a turtle either. I have priced out the RT with the accessories I would want and it is a very attractive option. The St is sexier looking but I will never see it since my eyes will following the curves

Willie
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE 1330 MOTOR

Bob D. likes the " v-twin " for touring but I dis-agree big - time.......And if you option out an ST with cases etc.....It's going to cost quite a bit more than an RT and you are going to give up a bunch of other stuff to boot......IMotorsports is selling BASIC RT's with semi-auto trans for $ 19,000 shipped to your door.........that's un-believable...............and it has the 1330 .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

The RT might be your better choice, if you like piling on the miles.
    It'll give you much better fuel economy with the 1330 triple, and the maintenance routine is significantly reduced as well.
    Why is maintenance significantly reduced?? Hmmm you said routine...does that mean scheduled maintenance ??

Willie
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Bob D. likes the " v-twin " for touring but I dis-agree big - time.......And if you option out an ST with cases etc.....It's going to cost quite a bit more than an RT and you are going to give up a bunch of other stuff to boot......IMotorsports is selling BASIC RT's with semi-auto trans for $ 19,000 shipped to your door.........that's un-believable...............and it has the 1330 .......Mike
    I saw that...tried calling them, however they don't open til 10...hey hey its 10:30 EST...they gotta be centrai. eh??

I see you are from Vermont...I was in your neighborhood for the 850 miler. Worked my way up RT 9 in NY and cutover to Starksboro, then Charlotte. Spent the night in South Burlington, grabbed the Whispering Giant in Battery Park and worked my way south bobbing and weaving on your back roads.

Willie
    Last edited by Fjrwillie; 07-28-2015 at 09:29 AM.
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Default Choices choices..!!

Welcome to the best place to get an answer or very confused... I see you went to the showroom and sat on some spyders but the best test is the ryde. Test ryde them both to better see the difference. The different models all have their purpose to suit the many ryding styles. From what you posted it would seem the RT would work out best and you would probably save that step from the ST to the RT that many make. Happy hunting is is fun finding out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    Why is maintenance significantly reduced?? Hmmm you said routine...does that mean scheduled maintenance ??

Willie
    The 2014 or later RT maintenance is 3000 miles before the first oil change and then every 9600 miles thereafter. For the v-twin models, it's 600 miles for the first and then every 3000 or so miles after that.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default But

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    Thanks for the response. As far as traveling and what we bring...we are able to travel on the FJR with the 2 side bags (about the size of the ones on the ST Touring one and a Givi trunk for well over 3 weeks. Actually our space requirements for packing is the same no matter how long the trips are. Our mantra if we really need something we can buy it at a Walmart while we are traveling.
    Admirable but then yiu have to go to a Walmart! Yuk!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    The 2014 or later RT maintenance is 3000 miles before the first oil change and then every 9600 miles thereafter. For the v-twin models, it's 600 miles for the first and then every 3000 or so miles after that.

So if I go the IMotorsport route, I'll ask for some more money off and fly out there and ride home..It would be less than 3000 miles One the bike it would a SS1K in the IBA world. Well it is shy by about 30 miles to my home.

Willie
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Admirable but then yiu have to go to a Walmart! Yuk!
    I did say I was a minimalist (sp?). Target is lit to brightly for me and the people are no where near as interesting.

Willie
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

After some thought...Is it possible for you to hold off until Can Am 2016 models are shown at Sturgis in about 10 days.

I have not been reading the "speculation" posts here, but personally could be patient and see what will be 2016.

If they do discontinue the V twin series or have the ST become a 1330 triple powered machine, it may be a good choice based on what you are leaving with the Yamaha.

If there is nothing spectacular except Bold New Graphics, find a deal and go with it.

In our house, I truly would have wanted the ST series. In the end, we got an RTs. Granted the riding position is different. The overall RTs is more Goldwingy to me, but no doubt still kind of cool.

I have no time on an ST series. I will ask others though. Since we don't lean, is an ST the type of riding a passenger would enjoy on longer runs?

My wife always says she is fine with the machine and her comfort. I have thrown the BS flag on her several times and if I were tell her I was removing the Corbin seat and armrests I suspect she would show teeth as if I taking a bone from a dog...a mean old dog.

Good luck on deciding. Sorry I don't have an answer. But again, I would be patient to decide for at least a week.

Maybe they will come out with a newer 1330 based on the F3 style but set it up more ST purpose. Don't know but then again anything is possible.

PK

Correcting my dates, it's this Friday...Open the thumbnail to see what was posted for date and time.
    Last edited by PMK; 07-28-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Spyder Garage

I am sure you have done it, but go on the can am web site and compare the two side by side to see if there is a option on one of them that would strike your fancy, like the GPS, extra lights, shocks etc.

Good luck

Spyder Garage

The 998 V-Twin has some significant heat and range issues. The radiator is mounted just forward of your right leg and will blow hot air on your leg & into the body. The exhaust system also routes under the body panels and is another source of significant heat, enough to boil the gas in the fuel tank. The 1330 moved the radiator to the front of the Spyder, splitting it into two radiators, one on each side of the front trunk ('frunk'), by the front wheels. No radiator heat now hits the rider or blows into the body. The exhaust now runs down and under the Spyder, so no heat coming from it either to boil the fuel tank. The 1330 also have a 6-speed transmission and runs at much lower RPMs than the 998's 5-speed. On my 998, I'm starting to look for gas at around 110 miles on the tank. The 1330 can go over 200 miles before fill up.

1330, without a doubt.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

For all the long distance riding you do, and two up at that, I would sure recommend the RT since it has the 1330 engine. Many advantages for touring and comfort.

Quieter, more torque, less maintenance scheduled, and even better mpg--by about 10 mpg over the 998 engine.

Semi-auto is also good. You will not miss the clutch at all.

A test drive of flavors is still recommended--just to make sure which one you ultimately like.

Let us know, and post a picture. I have a feeling you are going to get one or the other.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As most Spyder riders on this site have RT's then I can guarantee that's what most will recommend:-)

I do similar journeys to you on a standard RS without issues, however I'm in my 40's and I don't do those with a pillion. A very rough comparison with 'normal bikes' would be:

• RS - Yamaha FZ
    • ST - Yamaha FJR
    • RT - Honda Goldwing
    • F3 - Yamaha V Star

An ST would perhaps be the closest match to what you ride at the moment but if comfort, particularly for the pillion, is becoming more of a factor then RT sounds a better bet.

The 998 engine, surprisingly for a V-twin, likes rev's. The 1330 engine has a smoother power delivery and it produces a little bit more power but that's offset by the weight so the RS/ST 998 are actually quicker than an RT 1330.

Personally I'd say the RT 1330 is a more comfortable ride but the RS/ST 998's are more involving.

Tank range on an RS/ST 998 is a pain for long distance touring. Here in NZ I carry petrol cans when doing long journeys at night as the gap between open petrol stations can exceed the tank range. No idea what it's like on an RT 1330 but I'm guessing with the improved fuel economy would make this better.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 07-28-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

to this site!

I would go with the RTS- SE 6 it is great for long distance traveling, Excellent gas mileage( after the 3,000 mile break-in) Higher Torque, smoother ride, less fill- ups, 1330 Ace Rotax engine, quiter engine, 1200-W Alternator, 6 Speed Transmission, Adjustable suspension, Comfortable, less trips to the dealership for maintance, new Sach's shocks, a lot of room for storage. Hope this info helps.

My first spyder was a 2012 RTS-SE5, last year I upgraded to the 2014RTS-SE6, and I love it, because what I listed above + many more reasons. Keep us posted on which model you end- up getting.
    I am also from Vermont Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Test Drove at RT-S

Well the results are in. I am convinced that the RT versus the ST route is the way to go. MeAsWe (GF and her nick name, real name Crystal) test rode a RT yesterday. The dealer had prepared one for each of us to take out on the road. MeAsWe has her cycle license as well. She fell in love with the RT and felt far more relaxed on a Spyder than a bike.

Like everyone says this is not a 2 wheel motorcycle. Forget what you know about riding 2 wheels, it just don't apply to 3. I can confirm this is true and the ride is different. We rode of about 40 minutes on some back road highway here in Mass. I experienced the twitchy straight line that some folks have spoke about. By the end of the ride, that was pretty much gone, as I loosened the grip on the handle bars. It became quite intuitive that there was only a foot brake and no hand brake, except for when I was coming to a full stop I still reached for the hand brake at times. Sharp cornering will take some time to (maybe a day) to get a good handle on. It is different, much different than the bike. Let me just say I was NOT expecting this to handle like my FJR. Initial impression is after a 400 mile day of riding my shoulders will feel worked until they get in shape. While I have old torn rotor cups in one shoulder this was not effected by steering, which is a big phew. Compensating for the shoulder rebuild will be less hand cramping from braking and clutching. I really enjoyed the electronic clutch and might consider one on a future FJR purchase. Yamaha had one as well that did not go over well in the US market.

Other observations, the Spyder was definetly not a rocket like the FJR off the line, but this is not a big deal. I never do burnouts, lift a wheel or race away from lights on the FJR so why would I do this on the Spyder. Also during the test ride I really did not get on the throttle that much.

Now for where the RT excelled way over the FJR. I do a lot of national Grand Tours, which are national scavenger type hunts. This year one of them is the Pirate Tour, where you seek out towns with AR, AHOY, AYE or AVAST in the name, ride to the town, find a sign with the name of the towns, take a picture of the sign with your bike in it and rally flag. I no longer have to worry where I can pull over, will the tilt of the bike on the kickstand be ok and what I am pulling over on the road into. I can do dirt, gravel, grass and gravel, soft stuff, wet grass, the surface doesn't matter as long as it is not more than 4 inches of water. How do I know this, because MeAsWe kept asking me why am I pulling over on the side of the road. I said I was testing. At one point I headed off the road to a old cement like platform with lose pebbles. MeAsWe said I don't think you can go this way, but I did. Viola there was a section of grass and a lip to a paved drive way and we headed right for it. Not a lot of speed but nothing I would have tempted with the FJR. Then there was the dirt road with eroded washed out spots with larger rocks exposed. Not a lot speed but navigated that with ease, steering the bike around the really bad spots. THIS IS WHAT IS SELLING ME ON THR SPYDER. Now I can pickup those spots with ease.

So with all of that said, I will end up with a RT in the barn, I just gotta find a price I can live with. MeAsWe can't wait to have one so she can bop around town in. Me too, she can drive now when I simply don't want to and I can ride pillion and enjoy the scenery too. WOOHOO Willie
    2015 RT-S , White