Thread: Tires: Again !!

Spyder Garage

Default Tires: Again !!

At 8000 miles on my 2014 RT the front tires are cupping starting to vibrate. Local tire dealer refused to try to balance them, said it would be a waste of money. Found some new Federal 165/55/R15 EVO's on ebay for about $71.00 each. Anybody used these ? Should I buy these or go with the Kendas ? Thanks for your advice in advance. Dale

Spyder Garage

Default Just a thought...

find out why your tires are cupping first..throwing new tires on without knowing may be a waste more so than balancing and alignment...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Once the cupping wear has got to the stage of causing vibrations that you can feel as you ride, even flipping the tires on the rims & trying to 'wear' the cupping out by running them the other way around isn't going to stop the vibrations (altho if you flip them early enough, you can sometimes even out the wear & then fix the wheel alignment/tire/pressure issues causing the cupping) So the tire dealer is right in not wanting to balance them, that wouldn't really do anything for you or the tires, except make you think he'd suckered you into spending money on doing pointless work!!

But Chupaca is right, there's no point in fitting new tires without fixing the issue that's caused the cupping/wear first, & that cause is most likely going to be poor wheel alignment &/or incorrect tire pressures, possibly compounded by running crap tires....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Once the cupping wear has got to the stage of causing vibrations that you can feel as you ride, even flipping the tires on the rims & trying to 'wear' the cupping out by running them the other way around isn't going to stop the vibrations (altho if you flip them early enough, you can sometimes even out the wear & then fix the wheel alignment/tire/pressure issues causing the cupping) So the tire dealer is right in not wanting to balance them, that wouldn't really do anything for you or the tires, except make you think he'd suckered you into spending money on doing pointless work!!

But Chupaca is right, there's no point in fitting new tires without fixing the issue that's caused the cupping/wear first, & that cause is most likely going to be poor wheel alignment &/or incorrect tire pressures, possibly compounded by running crap tires....
    The bike has been laser aligned and has always handled great. Pressure kept at 20 psi. The wear IS even across both tires. I called Pittbull and he said it could possibly be bad tires. Kendas ?? Imagine that. Sent pics to Pittbull. Will wait to see what Pittbull says before buying new tires. If I do have to buy should I go the Federal EVO's or stick with Kendas ? Already replaced the rear with a General Altimax.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It could be bad tires, try to get a new set for free, there have been some that have accomplished that. If not, the Federal Evo is a good option. I got over 29,000 miles on my last set of them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Federal Evo's

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    It could be bad tires, try to get a new set for free, there have been some that have accomplished that. If not, the Federal Evo is a good option. I got over 29,000 miles on my last set of them.
    Ann that's what I will be getting when I replace the stock ones, what pressure are you running in them. Also what pressure are you going to run in your new General Altimax RT43, thats what I just put on and am currently running 24 per some of the folks on here's recommendations.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cupping comes from alignment and/or suspension, if it is suspension fix the problem before you replace if it is alignment the do so
    after replacement

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check your A-arms, and make sure that the bushings in the mounting points are okay...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black