Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Full or Half Cover?

Hello All,

What are some advantages and or disadvantages to a full or half cover for the RT?

Does the half cover protect all you need?

Is the full over hard to get on/off?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I've found that the half cover is adequate for my needs when on the road. It covers the windshield, seat areas and top box sufficiently. It's easy to store also.

Spyder Garage

Default Full cover for storage

I have the full cover and have only used it once. I'm looking for a half cover to use on a daily basis as I think it would be much easier to get on and off at work and when I park for short time periods.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobgeorge View Post
    Hello All,

What are some advantages and or disadvantages to a full or half cover for the RT?

Does the half cover protect all you need?

Is the full over hard to get on/off?

Thanks!
    I use BRP half cover all the time & it covers the seat-windshield area. Full cover I found was a pain to remove if you want to ride frequently. But long term storage is good. I also did some after market covers & found you get better quality with the BRP covers.

Spyder Garage

Default No Cover

I have never used a cover. The Spyder is built for weather so I don't worry about it. Do others use them just to keep people from sitting on them? Other reasons?
    -iSpyder
    2014 Spyder RTS - Cognac

2012 Spyder RTS - Blue (17,700 miles)

Current Mods:
    BRP Backrest

ISCI Hand Brake w/ cup holder

ISCI center screw RAM mount w/ universal holder

ISCI driver and passenger floorboards

FZ-1 fuse block

Powerlet 12-volt socket installed in front speaker grill

Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn

Hopnel dash bags and saddle bag nets

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iSpyder View Post
    I have never used a cover. The Spyder is built for weather so I don't worry about it. Do others use them just to keep people from sitting on them? Other reasons?
    Sun fade/rain

Spyder Garage

I currently live in a townhouse without a garage. I would probably use the cover on rainy days or winter. I will probably be moving to a house with a garage within 6 months.

Do you guys put the covers on at your workplace? I walk by motorcycle lots & rarely if ever see a cover on them.

My RT is pearl white....do they really fade?

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

I currently live in a townhouse without a garage. I would probably use the cover on rainy days or winter. I will probably be moving to a house with a garage within 6 months.

Do you guys put the covers on at your workplace? I walk by motorcycle lots & rarely if ever see a cover on them.

My RT is pearl white....do they really fade?
    Full covers are more for storage (longer periods of time). Half covers are for traveling overnight stays etc. As for fading....all the controls and black matte finish parts dry out and fade. If you park in direct sun during the day a pull over cover is best....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have a full cover for my RT which I only use when we travel. For example, when we go to the beach house, I take the full cover to keep the pine needles off of the. Cover the trailer as well. Last September, we went to Spyderquest 2014 in Lake George NY & it rained every night. Used the cover every night for 3 nights. Glad I had it.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by edbremer View Post
    I've found that the half cover is adequate for my needs when on the road. It covers the windshield, seat areas and top box sufficiently. It's easy to store also.
    +1! It also may deter eyes from prying or paws from fingering. I think if I was still working and commuting on it I'd probably use it daily mostly to protect the seat.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The half cover is fantastic for traveling. If it doesn't rain, it still keeps the dew off the seat and windshield.
    My Spyder doesn't sleep outside except when we are traveling. Visited my mother-in -law for a week and the garage was off limits to our Spyder. I used the half cover every day because it rained everyday while we were there. No problems with using the half cover.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the Alaska trip I think I was the only one who didn't cover their Spyder at night. I had to wipe off the dew but that wasn't necessarily a problem since I also got to wash off the bugs and dirt at the same time. I have a full cover, from my 2010, and it is nice but it takes up valuable space so I don't take it with me.

If I were going to buy one for the first time I think I would go with the half cover.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I use my half cover at work. Protects the seat from rain and sun. Don't like to sit on a wet swede seat. Goes on and off easy. Also keeps people away.
    2015 F3S SE6
    You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

2015 F3s , Orange/black

Spyder Garage

OEM or aftermarket?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2015 Can-Am RT Limited Pearl White
    Farkle: Laser alignment, Bararon sway bar, Bump skid with LED, Tri Axis adjustable handlebar, BRP heated comfort seat, Utopia backrest, Kott grills, Tailgunner Black Widow exhaust, BRP adjustable side wind deflectors, and Upper wind deflectors.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have both an aftermarket(Nelson Rygg)half cover and a full cover. I use the half cover during riding season both in the garage and when travelling. Once I put my RT into winter storage, I put the vented full cover on. Hope this info helps.
    OEM or aftermarket?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I have both

A full Tourmaster cover for home and longtime storage or traveling in inclement weather. I also have a BRP half cover for traveling in good weather and or long stopovers. Both work well and serve their intended purpose. When stowing away the two, the full cover takes up a lot of space. Obviously the half cover stows away in less space.
    What the heck...............get both. You'll do it sooner or later.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought an after market 1/2 cover for my 14 RTL. I use all the time and store it in the frunk. Works great. Highly recommended.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got three covers:
    The BRP full-cover
    The BRP half-cover
    Spyder Sisters seat cover

The full-cover is almost a two-person, fifteen minute job, and it takes up a HUGE amount of space.
    The half-cover is great for when you're on the road, and just want to keep the overnight weather off of the bike.
    The seat cover from Spyder Sisters is a great one for daily parking lot use. It loops over the bar ends, and then back to the passenger grab rails. It'll keep folks from sitting on your bike, and takes maybe a minute to deploy...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users ScreaminMeanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine came with a BRP full cover, and I am highly impressed with the quality. It is a bit much, however, for daily use. I contemplate that it will end up being used primarily for long-term winter storage. It takes at least 10 minutes to put it on, and at least 5 to take it off. It also takes up too much space in the luggage for toting around full-time.

I just ordered a Nelson-Rigg half cover that I intend to keep on the bike all the time, so that for stops in the heat/rain, overnight trips, etc., I will have a way to keep the seat and controls from becoming soaked and/or blazing hot, or, in the case of overnight night stops, keeping dew off. I expect it will also take up way less luggage space.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

IMO, the full cover is a PITA. I bought one and rarely use.

Spyder Garage

Default I have both full and half BRP covers

I have both full and half BRP covers.

I only used the full cover for winter storage. Full cover is large and takes time to put on and take off. I store it in my garage when not in use during the riding season. Way too big to carry with you on a trip IMO.

The half cover fits nicely in the saddlebag cover in the recessed area as we have the netting that holds it in. We always carry the half cover and rain gear on one side (right) on our bike.

The half cover is great and easy to put on and take off. I use it for overnights when the bike is outside during travelling. Also, it works absolutely great if you get caught in a downpour and quickly can put it on. We did this in Keystone, SD when visiting the Black Hills. We put our helmets under it (on the seat) and put the half cover over the bike in about 30 seconds...then ran for cover as the rain started coming down hard! Worked well.
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 07-27-2015 at 11:04 AM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have the full cover and never used it yet.

I did not like the half cover as it does not breath and gets the seat hotter than without it covered (think of leaving your dog in a car for instance).

This was my solution and I have been using this for 3 years now.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 07-27-2015 at 06:07 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default I have both Full and Half Cover

I have/ and use the BRP Full cover( my spyder stays out side all summer long) I like it and it covers my ( I have an 2014RTS-SE6).

Also, I have the BRP half cover, it is easy to store in the Frunk at the bottom ( it gives my helmet some cushion when my spyder is the yard) and it covers the headlights, handle bars, windshield, Seats, part of the back trunk) and it keeps people from sitting on it/ and prying eyes when I am @ work. I secure it with the 2 straps that it comes with ( 1 on each of the floor boards). I like both Full/ half covers that I have. They are both easy to remove( on/off) Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 07-27-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Ultraguard
    Amazon
    Great 7 min on off
    Very little space
    Gooood quality!!

Then Wal-Mart touring cover for big bike
    30 buks

Perfect for day trips

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

The can am factory half cover is what we have for both Spyders. It works well for over the road trips
    Bryan