Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Weird, has this happened to anyone? Check engine light come on then disappear

I met wife for dinner Friday night, when I started up my '13 RT Limited the check engine light came on. Trike was running and drove it home with no issue expect for the light. About a 1hr later went to check the code and there is no code or check engine light. Went out for a ride tonight and noticed the clock is off by 2hr, but no engine light or issues. I plan on taking a ride this coming week for work driving from Dallas to Tulsa should I be worried?
    2013 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Check that your battery connections are tight
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

What was the temperature like Friday evening? It's been pretty hot up here!

Had a similar thing happen to me a couple years back. Was a particularly hot day. Spyder was sitting in the lot of a local restaurant while my wife and I were in eating. Went to leave, started the Spyder and got the check engine light. Pulled the code (immediately) and found P0127. No surprise really that the intake air temperature had exceeded the ability of the sensor to read since the Spyder had time to sit and soak up the heat not only from the headers all confined within the tupperware but also heat that had accumulated in the black asphalt the Spyder was sitting on. The ambient temperature was no help either.

Rode it home, turned the Spyder off and let 'er cool down. Never saw the code again. I imagine the code would have been stored even though not viewable via the three finger salute. You might ask your service department to look next time B.U.D.S. is connected.

Of course this doesn't account for your clock being off two hours. It's always good to make sure the cables on your battery are tight. They will work themselves loose. Been there, done that. Star lock washers resolved that problem for me.
    Last edited by 2 Cruysyn; 07-26-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The temp was hovering close to 100 at the time and it was parked in full sun. Will double check the connections. Thanks for the input.
    2013 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

When the check engine light comes on and is not flashing, there is a non critical engine management system fault. As others have said may be heat related in your case. Active faults can only be retreived by you when the faults are active. So of course the active faults will not show when they are gone. Now the dealer can see the faults that have occurred when connected to the diagnostic computer. So not weird at all.

Drive on and don't worry about it. Mention it the next time it goes in for service.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine light

OK---take this with a grain of salt because I don't now own a Can AM----but I am aware that on some of the Polaris machines that are equipped with a 'throttle position sensor" the check engine light will come on when that is malfunctioning. Most often the 'fix' for that is to turn off the key----put the gear in neutral---then turn on the key (but do not start the engine) and simply push the accelerator pedal to the floor and back a few time until the light goes out. Evidently this procedure resets the computer somehow. When the check engine light goes out----start it up and drive away. I don't know that this will work with your machine-- can't hurt?

Spyder Garage

Heating issues from the sun can screw up the electronics as well as loose battery connections. IMO: it is sounding like either/or in this scenario.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine Light

We had the same thing two weeks ago while in the smokies. After a morning of driving through elevations at slow speeds and it being hot, the check engine light came on after we had eaten lunch and was ready for another treck into the mountains. With some assistance over the phone from the owner of PitBull Power Sports and his tech team, I was able to pull up the code which was P0175, "system too rich". After the tech explaining what it was and that it wouldn't hurt to drive it, I felt a liitle more comfortable about continuing. Twice after that the light came and went but never showed the code again. The morning we left Gatlinburg TN, to head back to Illinois, the light was off and never came back on. Needless to say I am having it checked this weekend.A big thank you to Len and his crew at PitBull for helping us through it.

Spyder Garage

I had the check engine light come on this year at spyderfest and took the bike (2013 RT) to Pitbull. the BRP tech worked on it and told me it was the purge valve. He fixed it and explained that to help keep the purge valve clear it in future, to ride in the 5500 to 6000 rpm range for a few miles every now and then.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Check engine

I picked up my in Grand Rapids, Mi. heading to Adrian, Mi. having gone 30 yrs. without riding a motorcycle... went 2 miles before the check engine light came on... <ready to fill britches> pulled over looked at manual and it said "turn off engine, pull key, reinsert key and restart" which was great advice... I have not seen the check engine light since.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cybrj View Post
    I picked up my in Grand Rapids, Mi. heading to Adrian, Mi. having gone 30 yrs. without riding a motorcycle... went 2 miles before the check engine light came on... <ready to fill britches> pulled over looked at manual and it said "turn off engine, pull key, reinsert key and restart" which was great advice... I have not seen the check engine light since.
    How hot was the weather? If the sun is out and hot, the temp is north of 100, and the Spyder is sitting in the sun, the temp sensor can easily go above 120°F. You'll get a check engine light at a sensor temp over 120. Ride the bike long enough to get the sensor cooled down, stop, turn it off, restart, and the check engine will go away.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)