Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wind Buffeting

Spyder Garage

Default Wind Buffeting

I've just completed my first ever trike trek on my 2015 RT, and had a wonderful time. http://triketrek.com/?p=220

But....

I hated being on the freeways. I was being thrown about by every gust of wind. Even a passing VW bug, yes, I drive like an old man, threw me about. At about 55 is was fine, except for all the trucks that had to keep passing me. At 60 and above, I simply hated it.

So... my Special Series has that cut down windshield and a large proportion of my 6 feet is in my torso. My head and shoulders were well above the windshield.

That's it, isn't it? THese Spyders don't suffer from wind buffeting issues, do they? It was just my upper body being well within the blast zone... right?

2015 Spyder RT Special Edition

http://triketrek.com A website dedicated to the Spyder RT.

Farkle:
    Utopia backrest
    Garmin cheap ass GPS
    Some canned sparkling water in trunk.
    Intense Red Pearl/Steel Black Metallic
    Travels so far:

Spyder Garage

Baja Ron's sway bars took care of that issue for me. Nice pictures! Penny

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by webweaver View Post
    Made all of the difference in the world. Now I don't drive like an old man, but wind and Semis don't blow me around anymore even whir we meet on a two lane highway
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

sounds like you need a taller shield

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While that the Anti-Swaybar will help; try tucking your knees in against the tank...
    If you're getting blown around in the saddle; you might be adding some unwanted steering inputs.
    The handlebars on the Spyder are like the steering wheel in your car: They're not designed for holding you in place!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree with both Penny and happyspyder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Vented windshield?

With a vent!!!

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

we see a lot of posts on this subject. I get confused if one is talking about the body or the bike. The BajaRon sway bar is great to cure the spyder but I think most are talking about the body. We have a lot of high wind (roads are closed to truckers when the winds blow) and I gotta tell you there is little you can do for that other than get an elio... I learned to just have fun with it like a flag blowing in the wind. The spyder will track well you just have to do some extra leaning. Keep your eyes on the approaching traffic so your ready. Forward wind hitting you on the upper body you can handle with windshields..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I had very little wind buffeting before I added the sway bar upgrade and have none at all now. When I first bought the Spyder in 2011 and again in 2014 I did notice buffeting but it turned out to be bad front alignments. Once I had it setup properly it was gone. My tires were toed out if I recall, and it made steering overly sensitive.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    I had very little wind buffeting before I added the sway bar upgrade and have none at all now. When I first bought the Spyder in 2011 and again in 2014 I did notice buffeting but it turned out to be bad front alignments. Once I had it setup properly it was gone. My tires were toed out if I recall, and it made steering overly sensitive.

I agree. My first question was gonna be whether the "op" had a laser alignment performed. I noticed a significant difference with respect to semi's, buses and car haulers after having my laser alignment. I'm sure the sway bar helps as well.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Sidecar, I believe there could be several things that can be done to limit the buffeting

No Mechanical Modification Needed:
    - Riding technique - as mentioned, using you knees to keep your upper body still during the buffeting
    - relax your hands on the grips

Modifications:
    - taller shield
    - after market sway bar
    - Laser alignment (or if done recheck)
    - aftermarket shocks or adjusters

You can come by anytime if you would like to check out the taller shield that I have on my Limited. I'm 6'
    and raise the shield on the major highways to limit the buffeting.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

Chupaca makes a very good point, is it body or machine buffeting we're talking about, or both? Thanks to my research hereon before buying my Spyder, a Baja Ron sway bar and laser alignment were part of the OTD package so I don't know how my Spyder would handle without them. What I do know is that with the two mods and with my windshield just off the bottom stop but not really raised I do feel some buffeting on my body but it has no effect on the handling or movement on the road of the Spyder. I feel no helmet buffeting because the stock windshield forces the wind up and over my head. In serious crosswind situations, ones where I've seen two wheel riders get pushed to the side so strongly they must make a significant steering correction to maintain their line on the road, I too feel the wind against my torso but the Spyder tracks straight as an arrow. I also do not need to tighten my grip on the bars. They are my two best farkles.

When you're pushing a big machine through the wind without a cage around you to shield your body there are situations where you're going to feel torso buffeting but, that's part of life in the open air and the fun of being out there -- just like sailboating. Yes, it will over time contribute to fatigue but that's what periodic break stops are for. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sidecars View Post
    I've just completed my first ever trike trek on my 2015 RT, and had a wonderful time. http://triketrek.com/?p=220

But....

I hated being on the freeways. I was being thrown about by every gust of wind. Even a passing VW bug, yes, I drive like an old man, threw me about. At about 55 is was fine, except for all the trucks that had to keep passing me. At 60 and above, I simply hated it.

So... my Special Series has that cut down windshield and a large proportion of my 6 feet is in my torso. My head and shoulders were well above the windshield.

That's it, isn't it? THese Spyders don't suffer from wind buffeting issues, do they? It was just my upper body being well within the blast zone... right?
    I have the exact same as you, and I don't get any wind buffeting at all from bad air. Of course, I don't let Volkswagens pass me either

The BajaRon Sway bar helps of course. If you don't have one, you should get one.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    sounds like you need a taller shield
    I have a 2014 RTs and I am amazed at how stable and wind free the bike is at 70+ mph. I do have the BajaRon sway bar but even before the bar change, the air flow was very small.

Spyder Garage

No problem with wind buffeting here. I have the standard windshields on our RT 2011 and RT-S 2014. I put the windshield up on the highway (55 and higher) and leave it down at other times.

Recently had laser alignments and find there is less fighting the going down the road.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if any of the problem is in the short windshield that doesn't have any cutouts in it? I am with Chupaca in that I enjoy a good windy ride every now and again.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Get the standard 25" windshield. Stay away from the vented as it is narrower and has more buffet. I had the vented and replaced with the Oem 25". Much much better.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Agree......

I consider the Bajaron sway bar a must have...definitely stop the wind buffeting...but when ma nature has a wind tantrum it is my body (head neck the most) that gets "trashed"....trucks no issues...enjoy your ride...luv your picks. dang I have got to learn how to post pics to SL...this being techie challenged has got to end. OLD dogs can learn new tricks!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Get the standard 25" windshield. Stay away from the vented as it is narrower and has more buffet. I had the vented and replaced with the Oem 25". Much much better.

Jack
    That is exactly opposite of my experience but mine is a 2011 RTS and did not have the holes cut in the bottom at the bracket.

If your OEM shield does that might be the difference.

My OEM without the holes was the worst at buffeting or having that lurching feeling in the wind.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
    Jack,

Just so I understand, when you say "vented" are you referring to the cutouts at the bottom of the windshield? Or was it the kind with the adjustable vent?

I'm in the market to replace my sport windshield, that's why I'm curious.

Thanks

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I concur with all of the above. In addition, take a look at the CalSci windshields. Their windshield design helps with buffeting.....it is wider and has a vent without louvers (more efficient to reduce buffeting). Check out the second link and it will tell you all about the science behind their windshields. Great customer service and are very helpful if you call with questions.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/SpyderRTprod.html

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCACOIDILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNENVNMNCOHORPASDTNUTVA  WAWVWIWYmed.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    That is exactly opposite of my experience but mine is a 2011 RTS and did not have the holes cut in the bottom at the bracket.

If your OEM shield does that might be the difference.

My OEM without the holes was the worst at buffeting or having that lurching feeling in the wind.

Bob
    The stock windshield on the 14 & 15 has cutouts that greatly eliminate the buffeting but the shorty SS windshield does not have these cutouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Jack,

Just so I understand, when you say "vented" are you referring to the cutouts at the bottom of the windshield? Or was it the kind with the adjustable vent?

I'm in the market to replace my sport windshield, that's why I'm curious.

Thanks

Pam
    Pam, I believe that he is referring to the BRP Vented Windshield and not the stock one on the 14 & 15. I had the BRP Vented windhsield and found it to be ineffective. The new stock windhshield with the cutouts is really good. Or you could always have someone put cut outs in your shorty shield. I'm thinking about doing that with the shorty that I bought.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Bob
    Which helmet are you using Bob? That's a super quiet ride! Thanks for the video.
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The stock windshield on the 14 & 15 has cutouts that greatly eliminate the buffeting but the shorty SS windshield does not have these cutouts.

Pam, I believe that he is referring to the BRP Vented Windshield and not the stock one on the 14 & 15. I had the BRP Vented windhsield and found it to be ineffective. The new stock windhshield with the cutouts is really good. Or you could always have someone put cut outs in your shorty shield. I'm thinking about doing that with the shorty that I bought.
    I don't have one bit of buffeting with my shorty windshield, I don't understand why the OP is having that problem. My reason for wanting a taller windshield is because of winter riding. December, January, and February mornings can be quite nippy, and I'm sure the shorty would be inadequate to block the cold air from my face.

I'm leaning toward the F4 Customs windshield with the Goldwing style adjustable vent.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass