GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Pairing Sena SMH10 to radio and Sirius XM

I have installed a BRP dongle in my 2014 RT-S and installed the Sena SMH10 headset to my helmet. I only want to listen to my radio and Sirius XM in my helmet/headset. I do not need the boom attached as it is just myself riding. I do not own a smart phone. All the directions in the manual for pairing the Sena SMH10 involve a step with searching bluetooth devices on your smartphone and selecting SMH10 in the list of devices on a smartphone and entering 0000 for the PIN.

Anyone know how to pair the headset to my radio and Sirius XM?
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCACOIDILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNENVNMNCOHORPASDTNUTVA  WAWVWIWYmed.jpg

Spyder Garage

You pair you SMH10 helmet headset to your SM10 (BRP dongle).

For the SMH10 you pair the SM10 to it like you would pair to a phone. So press the buttons on the SMH10 following the process to pair to a phone.

Procedure to turn on pairing for the BRP dongle (Sena SM10) so it will pair to your headset is on page 13 in the SM10 manual.
    5.1 Bluetooth pairing with the first headset

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You pair you SMH10 helmet headset to your SM10 (BRP dongle).

For the SMH10 you pair the SM10 to it like you would pair to a phone. So press the buttons on the SMH10 following the process to pair to a phone.

Procedure to turn on pairing for the BRP dongle (Sena SM10) so it will pair to your headset is on page 13 in the SM10 manual.
    5.1 Bluetooth pairing with the first headset

Bob

Bob, I do not have a paragraph 5.1 in my manual. All I have is a paragraph 5 that is titled Volume Adjustmet. Could you please tell me the steps for 5.1?
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCACOIDILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNENVNMNCOHORPASDTNUTVA  WAWVWIWYmed.jpg

Spyder Garage

Oh good grief......I'm either so confused right now as I have been trying to figure out how to pair this headset for the last 2 days w/o a smart phone......or else a light bulb just went off. I reread your reply Bob and saw they difference where you said step 5.1 in SM10 manual. I have been looking at the directions in the SMH10 manual all this time. Let me go back outside and see if I can do what it says in the SM10 manual.

Spyder Garage

OK, I am so flustered. I am now reading page 13 in the "SM10" manual. I went out and tried and can't get it to work. Can you look at my steps below and tell me where I'm going wrong? thanx

1. it says to turn on the bluetooth headset....I know how to do that

2. Place the bluetooth headset in pairing mode (is that where I push the phone button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue?)

3. Turn on the SM10 (do I just start my Spyder for this to happen?......how do I turn on the SM10?)

4. Press pairing button for 5 seconds until the blue LED is rapidly flashing. (is that the phone button again?)

Spyder Garage

I went out and tried a couple more times and am just not getting it to work......here is what I'm doing

1. turned on the head set

2. put the headset in pairing mode by holding the phone button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue

3. turned on the SM10 (i found the on off swith on the side of the unit, duh)

4. held the pairing button on SM10 for 5 seconds until the blue LED flashed rapidly

5. i heard the voice in the headset say.....pairing to phone complete

I still cannot hear the music in my headset. wondering why it keeps saying that pairing to phone is complete when I'm trying to pair it to my dongle.
    Last edited by cohoff; 07-23-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

If it is paired with if the headset, which it said it was, you should hear music.

Who installed the SM10 dongle? It could be it is not connected to the radio or the audio jack is not plugged into the SM10?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

When the headset says paired voice, do the pairing lights on the SM10 stop rapid blinking?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default SENA Pairing from Sena Tech Rep - easier to follow than manual!

Here's the pairing process broken down easier than the manual....fyi...hope it helps.

You can call them (I think they are in California) for help as well....be prepared to wait 10-15 minutes until the Tech gets on the line (that was my wait time). It's worth it as they helped me a couple of times and sent me this easier to understand pairing instructions vs. the manual.

SENA Tech Service number is: 866-300-1235

Good luck!

Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

When the headset says paired voice, do the pairing lights on the SM10 stop rapid blinking?

Bob

after the voice says pairing complete the blue light still flashes quickly

Spyder Garage

If it is paired with if the headset, which it said it was, you should hear music.

Who installed the SM10 dongle? It could be it is not connected to the radio or the audio jack is not plugged into the SM10?

Bob

My dealer installed the dongle. There is a plug that just hangs/dangles from the outside of the zippered pouch in my front trunk. does that need to be plugged in to something?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cohoff View Post
    My dealer installed the dongle. There is a plug that just hangs/dangles from the outside of the zippered pouch in my front trunk. does that need to be plugged in to something?
    Yes, that is why your not hearing music! There should be 2 plugs that plug into the SM10. The 3.5mm head phone jack plugs into the audio input port on the SM10 (not AUX). The Micro USB plug plugs into the USB port on the SM10. This plug charges the SM10.

Seems your dealer did not plug the thing in! Sheesh!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, that is why your not hearing music! There should be 2 plugs that plug into the SM10. The 3.5mm head phone jack plugs into the audio input port on the SM10 (not AUX). The Micro USB plug plugs into the USB port on the SM10. This plug charges the SM10.

Seems your dealer did not plug the thing in! Sheesh!

Bob
    Oh for cripes sake !!!! I'm gonna have a talk with my dealer the next time I'm there.

Thank you so much for all of your help and patience Bob !

Spyder Garage

Default Sm10 pic

Here is my sm10. The left wire is the power and the right wire, which is plugged into the center port, is the audio in from Spyder stereo.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the pic Brent......that helps me a lot.

Spyder Garage

Default Is stereo on?

Just an FYI, you won't hear the spyder stereo unless you have gone past the startup nag screen as well and are sitting at the dashboard screen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Just an FYI, you won't hear the spyder stereo unless you have gone past the startup nag screen as well and are sitting at the dashboard screen.
    Correct and you will hear the music from the speakers as well as in your helmet! If your not hearing music from the speakers then you wont hear it in the headset.

You will notice a slight delay in your headset vs the speakers. To get rid of that turn down the speakers but NOT all the way. Turning them down all the way is "mute" mode and will also mute the music in the headsets.

Also do not expect the volume control on the handlebars to control the volume in the headset. As I said above mute works but not volume. To adjust volume you use the volume dial on the headset.

Final tip. If you have your headset volume all the way up and it still not loud enough. There is a "boost" function on the SM10.
    On the SM10 you double press on the center button and it will turn on audio boost.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Correct and you will hear the music from the speakers as well as in your helmet!

Bob
    Once you have everything working properly, you can turn off the speakers if you wish, thru the preferences menu.

If you do that, the volume control on the handle bars will no longer work but you can still mute the sound to the headset.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    Once you have everything working properly, you can turn off the speakers if you wish, thru the preferences menu.

If you do that, the volume control on the handle bars will no longer work but you can still mute the sound to the headset.
    The volume control on the handlebars does not work to the headset regardless if the speakers are on or off through the preferences setup. Only the mute function works either way as I said above.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Correct and you will hear the music from the speakers as well as in your helmet! If your not hearing music from the speakers then you wont hear it in the headset.

You will notice a slight delay in your headset vs the speakers. To get rid of that turn down the speakers but NOT all the way. Turning them down all the way is "mute" mode and will also mute the music in the headsets.

Also do not expect the volume control on the handlebars to control the volume in the headset. As I said above mute works but not volume. To adjust volume you use the volume dial on the headset.

Final tip. If you have your headset volume all the way up and it still not loud enough. There is a "boost" function on the SM10.
    On the SM10 you double press on the center button and it will turn on audio boost.

Bob
    Great information Bob. You have been very helpful on this thread. Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Default smh10 with dongle

The volume control on the handlebars does not work to the headset regardless if the speakers are on or off through the preferences setup. Only the mute function works either way as I said above.

Bob

Hi Bob, Just wanted to ask a quick question, is this system able to have intercomm between two helmets and music at the same time. Will it dumb down the radio while talking and go back up when no longer speaking? Seem to be having trouble with that.

Thanks

Lili