Thread: Gold Plugs..

Spyder Garage

Default Gold Plugs..

Has anyone else had any problems with the Gold Plugs? I'm changing oil in my 2012 RS and the engine plug went right in fine. The oil reservoir however only goes in about 3 threads and that's about it. I've even used a cheater on my 3/8" ratchet and its tight!!
    I've checked the threads with the old plug and they are the same and the right part number but it won't go in any further and I'm afraid to force it anymore.. Any suggestions???

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

only thing that comes to mind is that it is cross threaded. If you take it back out and the threads are messed up you will know. Try putting the old one back in and if it does the same thing you will need to clean up the threads with a tap and die set...have not heard of this before...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CROSS- THREADED

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    only thing that comes to mind is that it is cross threaded. If you take it back out and the threads are messed up you will know. Try putting the old one back in and if it does the same thing you will need to clean up the threads with a tap and die set...have not heard of this before...
    I don't think He will see any evidence of cross threading on the PLUG......it's made of much harder metal than the engine ( un-fortunately in this instance ) if the threads are messed up they are going to be inside ................and is it the SIZE ???.....My RT has size M-12 and M-14............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't think He will see any evidence of cross threading on the PLUG......it's made of much harder metal than the engine ( un-fortunately in this instance ) if the threads are messed up they are going to be inside ................and is it the SIZE ???.....My RT has size M-12 and M-14............Mike
    Could be but the engine plug went in fine. I think the oil tank one has a brazed on metal thread... your right in that they are M12x1.50 and M14x1.50 on the engine with a cheater bar it would probably cross thread all the way in then leak. On the tank more than likely bend the tank or crack the brazing...hopefully a greased up tap will clean it up and hold the shavings....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys.. I screwed it in several times by hand the first few threads but then it wouldn't go any further. I finally used several crush washers that I had and got it in tight. I'm going to order a M14x1 tap and clean it up. Its in the reservoir, not the engine so its a little tougher than the aluminum.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

Quote Originally Posted by amusher View Post
    Thanks guys.. I screwed it in several times by hand the first few threads but then it wouldn't go any further. I finally used several crush washers that I had and got it in tight. I'm going to order a M14x1 tap and clean it up. Its in the reservoir, not the engine so its a little tougher than the aluminum.

The tap you need is M14x1.50....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

You are correct... I double checked it... Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Rinse/flush

Buy a gallon of kerosene. After you chase the threads, flush the oil tank several times with kerosene. Let dry, then flush again. Let dry, refill with oil after new plug installed. Good Luck! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joe, good idea. If I had those special clamps and clamping tool, I'd just take the tank off and tap it out. Its good so far. Next oil change we'll work on it.