Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default More spare key chatter

I've seen several good ideas on taping or securing the "valet" key (without the chips) in places from your wallet to spots on the bike (recently the glove box or behind the mirror - good idea!). All for emergency access to a hidden working key elsewhere on the Spyder.

I am gearing up for a 5000 mile trip in the fall on my new 2014 RT S. Already thinking about where to hide the working key in case of problems. I'm sure there are little hiding places in the storage areas I am not familiar with that can be accessed by the valet keys.

So any recommendations? Not where you hide YOUR key as I don't want to put any Rydes at risk. But any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks...
    SpyderWalter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which bike do you have?
    Throw it under the Funk liner... if your bike has one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Which bike do you have?
    Throw it under the Funk liner... if your bike has one!
    Big +1. That would be my first choice. You might also consider taping it to the underside of the seat pan or somewhere else under the seat.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

dumb question.. if you hide a chiped key in the bike, won't it be close enuff to actavate the start cercit with anyother key???

Spyder Garage

Default Not dumb...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    dumb question.. if you hide a chiped key in the bike, won't it be close enuff to actavate the start cercit with anyother key???

Be wise to have it in one of the pouches electronics come in...ezpass, hard drives etc. This will keep it from communicating...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Maximum range of the key to the antenna in the Ignition switch is about 1 inch. So not a concern.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Be wise to have it in one of the pouches electronics come in...ezpass, hard drives etc. This will keep it from communicating...
    No need unless you are planning on taping to the side of ignition switch as your hiding spot.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was able to start my bike with a "Dummy" key...

...By holding the chipped one right up against it! If it wasn't touching; nothing would happen!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How bout this

I hang it around my wife's neck!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I hang it around my wife's neck!
    So now you lose a wife and a key???
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

In my wallet.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    In my wallet.
    I've thought about that option...

And who among us hasn't spent what seems like hours looking for their lost wallet; at least once?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've thought about that option...

And who among us hasn't spent what seems like hours looking for their lost wallet; at least once?
    The only wallet I've lost in 67 years was while SCUBA diving in Hawaii. I had shorts on over my bathing suit, with my wallet in my back pocket. Somehow, as we suited up, I forgot to take off my shorts, and rolled into the water with my wallet still in the pocket. Pretty good current that day. I expect my wallet turned into fish food, a long time ago!

If you lose your wallet on a trip, there isn't much difference than losing a key, anyhow, because it is really hard to buy gas without it!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBud View Post
    And she took the with her
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

The only wallet I've lost in 67 years was while SCUBA diving in Hawaii. I had shorts on over my bathing suit, with my wallet in my back pocket. Somehow, as we suited up, I forgot to take off my shorts, and rolled into the water with my wallet still in the pocket. Pretty good current that day. I expect my wallet turned into fish food, a long time ago!

If you lose your wallet on a trip, there isn't much difference than losing a key, anyhow, because it is really hard to buy gas without it!
    I think you could beg for money at the gas stations some one will help
    But No one will have your spare key but you
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Default spare key

Some interesting ideas, but unless I'm crazy, you need a key to open the frunk and raise the seat. So I don't see how those ideas would work....

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ravseren View Post
    Some interesting ideas, but unless I'm crazy, you need a key to open the frunk and raise the seat. So I don't see how those ideas would work....
    We're talking about using a non-chip key in an accessible place to open up the seat, frunk, or trunk, where a chip key is hidden.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWalter View Post
    Already thinking about where to hide the working key in case of problems. I'm sure there are little hiding places in the storage areas I am not familiar with that can be accessed by the valet keys.
    Just sent a PM about where I've mine hidden. Hint: It's not the trunk or frunk or under the seat!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The dummy keys do not take up much room in your wallet. Let your riding partner if you
    have one have a dummy. You might be able to secure a dummy in some cell phone case. Real key could hidden in stuff in any of "trunks" on the RT.

I am also a fan of a real key never leaving the house, except to go buy new keys to replace ALL the others I lost I lost.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I have two dummy keys on my RT, one is tie wraped close to a place near the oil stick the other one I took the black top off and is taped to another spot that it can not fall down from unless the Spyder is turned upside down and stepping on it wont hurt the key any <hint> on my 13 RT Limited. The spare chipped key is in the trunk in case I loose the chipped key when out and about. I also have a third key at home just in case.
    Forgot to mention that id you do use tie wraps make sure they are the black UV Stabilized nylon so that 6 months later wont rot off on you.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT necessarily

Quote Originally Posted by ravseren View Post
    On my RT I can open both my seat and frunk ( with hidden wire )........I feel the Key should only be used for starting the Spyder.....It's too easy to break it or the switch........either case it's very expensive.................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBud View Post

I am gonna miss that key.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

Cruzr Joe
    Maybe you shouldn't have used your real name, in the signature for this post...

Spyder Garage

The only wallet I ever lost was when I was in college at UC Irvine. We had gone to Tiajauna for a little college age fun. Lost my wallet somewhere in TJ. A week later in the mail, there was my wallet! The most unbelievable thing was that all of my money was still in the wallet. Unfreakingbelievable!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

Cruzr Joe
    ....it was a really good key too! Fit just right, never talked back, didn't spend money! damn good key!