Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTS, BT, and "on the cheap"

I have searched and read lots on this site and the other about the Sena BT options as well as Dongle vs Headsets and I am
    needless to say very confused as to what I should initially go with for my spyder.

I'm picking it up in about another week and driving it about 13 hours home from a dealership. I have blown most of my money
    on the down payment to get my monthly in a range that my wife is not in the soon-to-be-ex category.

I have already bought the $29 adapter for my iPhone 6 plus to hook into the 30-pin adapter...I assume this will allow me to charge
    it as well as control the tunes coming out the onboard speakers...control being through the onboard display.

I have a definite need to be able to hear my iPhone GPS(Waze) to make sure I can find my way back home...lol.

I don't care if I have BT FM radio as the RTS built in FM is fine for me...I understand at speed I won't hear it as well but then at
    speed I would rather pay attention to the road(at least for my first couple thousand miles).

With my iPhone I also have a BT paired LG headset for normal tunage and have used it for hearing GPS.

I intend on buying a half helmet at the dealership so I don't have to play with my full helm through airport TSA.

Sorry for long winded above details but...my question is:

To get the GPS to work should I stick initially with my LG headset and shop Sena 20s Dual later? I will eventually want to
    be able to have helmet to helmet with my wife and probably group riders so if the best suggestion is a single Sena 10 to get
    me through this ride and then hand that off to the wife and buy a 20s(works with her 10?) then I may go that route. Add in
    the confusion of what a BT dongle will do for me(?) and I am flip flopping like a stranded fish...

I am a tech geek so the benefits of the 20s down the road won't be wasted but not up for paying $300+ for any addons for
    this trip.

Suggestions? Why? Am I missing something on the tech side of my assumptions above? Thanks in advance for any assistance
    in this sea of BT...

Gary
    1984-87 Kawasaki GPZ750(1983)
    2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 800(2005)
    2012 Victory V92SC(2009)
    2013 Harley Davidson Road King(1999)
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT-S SM6(2014)
    2014 RTS , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default JUST A SUGGESTION

I can't say about the Sena headset thing.............However the radio sound / quality thing is actually a low cost fix.....I use JBL -2 OHM speakers and they can play at highway speeds with clean ,clear, volume........I have posted lots of info on this already, so I'm not going to repeat it. look in the ADVANCED SEARCH function.................................Mike

Spyder Garage

At a minimum you will need a BT headset for your helmet. It has to be able to bind to your phone as a phone and not just a music or streaming type of bind like home BT headsets or BT ear buds do.

A little knowledge.
    Home headsets are meant to hear music or other audio sources. They do not have a MIC and thus do not bind as a two way communication device. Thus you might be able to hear a phone call but you still need the phone at your mouth to speak and the screen available to your finger to control the phone call.
    These type of headsets bind as A2DP protocol. Basically it is for audio and control of that audio (music).

A phone and the ability to communicate both directions AND control the phone call is bound as HFP (Hands Free Profile).

Now you can bind to a phone as a A2DP+HFP. This gives you phone control and media or music control.

So I am telling you this because not every BT headset does this. Some do but many do not. So you don't have a mess trying to figure all this out, I suggest you purchase a headset made for A2DP+HFP.

Now with your further questions on how you use it..... In this video I show you how to do things on your phone with a BT headset.
    Should help you understand.

BUT here is a catch 22. you cannot BT to your phone AND have it plugged into the connector in the trunk. When you plug your phone into that connector all media and media control (music) is routed to that! So while music will come out your speakers it won't come out in your BT headset.
    BUT you can still do phone calls if you bind to the phone as HFP only which some headsets provide as an option like the Sena 20S or SMH10.

Hope this helps.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 07-22-2015 at 12:57 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTS, BT, and "on the cheap"

I will check out the video later this afternoon as I work in a hospital.

The LG Headset that I have is for handsfree phone so from that perspective it can work
    but if you are saying that I can't have it plugged into the 30 pin and have it paired via
    Bluetooth then that will suck. I will have to not use the 30-pin and plug into the Cig lighter
    plug in the trunk to keep it charged. I just won't be able to manage playlists etc from the
    Spyder display. Otherwise I won't have sound from the GPS without slowing down to hear
    it from the built in speakers...lol, that would be funny. Think I have that right. Let me know
    if I missed something.
    1984-87 Kawasaki GPZ750(1983)
    2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 800(2005)
    2012 Victory V92SC(2009)
    2013 Harley Davidson Road King(1999)
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT-S SM6(2014)
    2014 RTS , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thunor View Post
    I will check out the video later this afternoon as I work in a hospital.

The LG Headset that I have is for handsfree phone so from that perspective it can work
    but if you are saying that I can't have it plugged into the 30 pin and have it paired via
    Bluetooth then that will suck. I will have to not use the 30-pin and plug into the Cig lighter
    plug in the trunk to keep it charged. I just won't be able to manage playlists etc from the
    Spyder display. Otherwise I won't have sound from the GPS without slowing down to hear
    it from the built in speakers...lol, that would be funny. Think I have that right. Let me know
    if I missed something.
    So to be clear but I DO need to test this myself to be sure.
    In theory you should be able to have the phone plugged in the iPod connector and be able to handle calls on your BT headset.
    For music it would come out the speakers and you can control it from the dash. However you will only hear music out the speakers not in your headset.
    For phone ONLY you bind the headset as HFP profile only. Now you can do phone calls in the headset and in theory calls won't come out the speakers just the headset.

Now if you plan to use your LG headset, it must be able to bind as HFP only and not HFP+A2DP for what I am saying to work. This is why many of the helmet BT headsets have these "selective pairing" options so you can do things like this! I am pretty sure most home headsets do not allow you to do this. They either bind as A2DP only (only music) or A2DP+HFP like your LG headsets do since you can take calls with it.

Give me a day or two and I will test this theory. I am pretty sure it will work this way. But let me test it to be sure. If it does work as I am suggesting then you can try your LG headsets in the same way and see if it will do it or not.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

My my, you ARE a techie !

Remind me to stay out of your way on the road.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post

Remind me to stay out of your way on the road.
    Ummmm.....why? What does being a techie have to do with the road?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black