Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out of control!

Spyder Garage

Test drove a Tri Glide back in 2010 before I bought my first Spyder. When I got back to the dealer, the salesman had all the paperwork filled out. I handed him the keys and got in my truck and left. Next week I drove the Spyder, signed on the dotted line and the rest, as they say...

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Test drove a Tri Glide back in 2010 before I bought my first Spyder. When I got back to the dealer, the salesman had all the paperwork filled out. I handed him the keys and got in my truck and left. Next week I drove the Spyder, signed on the dotted line and the rest, as they say...
    I demoed the Tri Glide also. It would have been my first ever Harley. I felt like I was operating a bulldozer. The salesman thought he had the sale in the bag. He was pissed when he found out a bought my Spyder.

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacemaker7 View Post

Yep, saw a harley trike go off through the corner and down into the woods. Kinda looked like the goldwing trike before she lost total control. The attached photo, both spyders are in the oncoming lane of travel. Got to stay in your lane

Yeah, and like SpyderAnne pointed out, wearing shorts. Figures! The guy on the motorcycle behind them is probably going, "Look at those idiots wearing shorts and riding in the oncoming lane."
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 07-21-2015 at 08:12 PM.

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

When I was at the Dragon last year I tried like hell to pull a front wheel off the ground. I dont think I did, or did I and I just could not feel it. My significant other was on the back and she is a real leaner, I mean she really leans on sharp corner, because she knows I am not slowing down. So maybe she helped to kept the front wheel down?
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can go around the block and raise the wheel on the corner. But, I have my bike really tight. I have 2 spring stiffeners on each side and 2 on the rear spring, a bar that runs across from one side to the other for my hiway bars (you can stand on these they are so strong), and attached to the bump skid and the bar I have a large screen that ties the whole thing together. Not much flex in the frame on my bike. I like it tight! The neat thing I have learned is that even though it is as tight as it is, the nanny still does her job when absolutely needed!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    a dealer told me one of their service techs did it -- backwards through their parking lot with a hard turn at the end.
    Riding a Spyder in reverse gives it the same disadvantages as a standard trike.

Lifting a wheel on the Spyder is not really that big a deal. But on a Goldwing trike, it is very NOT GOOD! It's a lot like high siding 2 wheels. Once that inside wheel starts to come up there isn't much to stop it from going all the way unless you have room to steer into the roll and get that thing back down on the ground.

Looks to me like those Spyders on the Dragon are just being lazy. But you play like you practice. Getting lazy and running in the wrong lane when you can get away with it teaches you bad habits that can get you in big trouble. Even when you can see and 'Cheat' safely. Take the opportunity to do it right anyway. It could save your bacon down the road.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Riding a Spyder in reverse gives it the same disadvantages as a standard trike.

Lifting a wheel on the Spyder is not really that big a deal. But on a Goldwing trike, it is very NOT GOOD! It's a lot like high siding 2 wheels. Once that inside wheel starts to come up there isn't much to stop it from going all the way unless you have room to steer into the roll and get that thing back down on the ground.

Looks to me like those Spyders on the Dragon are just being lazy. But you play like you practice. Getting lazy and running in the wrong lane when you can get away with it teaches you bad habits that can get you in big trouble. Even when you can see and 'Cheat' safely. Take the opportunity to do it right anyway. It could save your bacon down the road.
    I just about ate a Harly in my truck today. Guy come around a corner too hot and jumped into our lane. I swerved and barely missed him, but a split second earlier and he would have been toast. Nothing I could have done.

Spyder Garage

I've never been to the Dragon but I've ridden plenty of curvy roads where I could find them (on two wheels, nothing major on the Spyder yet). There are idiots on every brand and every type of bike. Learn to ride what you're on.

Saw a video of a guy with skill on a Goldwing riding the Dragon behind two sport bikes a few years ago. The wing rider knew his machine and the sport bike riders did not know theirs. The wing was tight and fluid and the sport bikes were all over the place...puts things in perspective. I'm sure it's somewhere on youtube but I couldn't find it.

My favorite is still the Harley (and to a lesser extent Victory and other larger cruiser) riders who would talk smack to some crotch rocket owner and then walk their own bike through a U-turn or drag their feet on stops and starts. I was always proud of the ground down feeler bars on my floorboards when I owned a cruiser.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I demoed the Tri Glide also. It would have been my first ever Harley. I felt like I was operating a bulldozer. The salesman thought he had the sale in the bag. He was pissed when he found out a bought my Spyder.
    Similar story . . . was drawn by the Harley, rode it, and never went back . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    . . . Looks to me like those Spyders on the Dragon are just being lazy. But you play like you practice. Getting lazy and running in the wrong lane when you can get away with it teaches you bad habits that can get you in big trouble. Even when you can see and 'Cheat' safely. Take the opportunity to do it right anyway. It could save your bacon down the road.
    Well said.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have had a wheel in the air a few times on some of the twisties I like to ride. But I was wearing jeans and a jacket at the time so the fashion police at least will be happy!

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

In Washington state, you have to take a trike/side car class to be legal to drive one. A motorcycle endorsement isn't enough. I took the class last Thursday and Friday. One of the instructors ask me to try and get a front wheel off the ground in one of the practice exercises. I told him sure thing. First curve on the course, I brought the left front wheel up for a second or two before the nanny kicked in.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A couple of weeks ago I was with several 'wing riders on a short twisty hill called Greer Grade west of Kamiah, ID. I went into a curve signed at 15 mph as fast as I dared. Front tire squealed so loud the guy in front of me heard it. No idea if the inside tire lifted or not but Nanny sure kicked in quick! Actually she kicked in, then out, then in again all in just a couple of seconds or so.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

A couple mentions of the very old ATC Honda's. I rode a Big Red (250) with a CB 750 engine in it. Scary but ride-able. Made for copletely different then on road.

Without getting in the war on Honda Trikes, it has to be remembered they are all conversions, not factory. Rear suspensions/axles vary widely. Harleys have both conversions and the Factory Tri-Glide. Not sure about their kits for conversions.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default I too tried a TriGlide

I test drove a Harley Tri-Glide in 2014. Loved it, bought it, ride it. It is a little rougher riding and my wife needed a softer ride so we bought her a Spyder. I relate the two as she drives a caddy and I drive a Mack truck. I love my Mack Truck but maybe someday a shiny black Spyder will be in my garage to go with her white one. I hope we can tell them apart.

=bob=
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spirited ryde

Early on when I bought my 1st Spyder, a 2012 RT A&C, I went on a group ride with a bunch of guys on "Bama Rides". Mixed bag of bikes from pure crotch rockets to dual sports and adventure bikes. I was the only spyder. They would accelerate away from me on the straights sometimes but in the corners I held my own. I lifted a wheel on a couple of occasions but Nanny did her job and set it back down..... After the ride the guys all were amazed that an old man on a spyder could not only keep up but actually lead the parade at a couple of points. The point is, A spyder WiLL excel on the curves if you learn to brake going in, grab the apex and nail it on the way out.

MT
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike