Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    The birthing riding position (feet foward) just does not cut it when one rides the twisties. Feet forword may be ok for the polker run crowd but not for any aggressive riding.
    Don't know what the roads are like in North Carolina but in Idaho we have far more "twisties" than anything else and speaking from experience with both the RS and F3 the F3 does just fine when riding aggressive.

Spyder Garage

The birthing riding position (feet foward) just does not cut it when one rides the twisties. Feet forword may be ok for the polker run crowd but not for any aggressive riding.

Well said sir!!

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    In reality I'm sure the RS and the F3 can power through a corner at the same speed before the nanny kicks in if the rider will allow himself/herself to push the bike to that limit.
    Not true, The F3 comes with a more relaxed "nanny" that allows more before it decides you have had enough fun.

Didn't you list that as a positive?

Spyder Garage

Power to weight and 0 to 60 times, I believe the RS-S is Tops, "RS-S the fast one"
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

I wonder what I was doing then between Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek (twisty mountain road)....being in the birthing position and all that. Granted, I've done the route faster on my FZ1, but that's a 2 wheeler. Maybe I need to take the F3 out to Deckers (even twistier mountain road in Colorado) so all the people who don't own one can tell me I didn't do that either.

Have you ever actually ridden an F3 in twisties? Looks like an RS in your avatar, but perhaps I missed your tales of experience on the F3.

Spyder Garage

Power to weight and 0 to 60 times, I believe the RS-S is Tops, "RS-S the fast one"
    According to BRP the RS-S is listed as 798 pounds dry weight and 100 horsepower. The F3 is 840 dry weight and 115 horse power. I have not seen any real 0 to 60 times so can't comment but will say my RS was quick but my F3 is faster and handles better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ard View Post
    Not true, The F3 comes with a more relaxed "nanny" that allows more before it decides you have had enough fun.

Didn't you list that as a positive?
    I believe the more relaxed nanny is so you can spin the rear tire (burn it a bit) and break the rear loose a bit (slide it) off the line or turning while starting from a stopped position. Relaxed a lower speeds so you can play a bit. That is a positive. I don't think its relaxed when corning at speed. I could be wrong?

I'm glad you like your F3. I know that I would not. The seating position(s) just don't work for me. I'm hoping the RS sees some upgrades for 2016.

Spyder Garage

According to BRP the RS-S is listed as 798 pounds dry weight and 100 horsepower. The F3 is 840 dry weight and 115 horse power. I have not seen any real 0 to 60 times so can't comment but will say my RS was quick but my F3 is faster and handles better.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post964931

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post965037

The RS was 106 hp up until (I don't know); I have a 2008.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Looks like .3 faster for RS-S. more than likely very close. BRP may have done it on purpose. Great discussion. Love forums. Makes folks think.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thebrainn View Post
    I wonder what I was doing then between Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek (twisty mountain road)....being in the birthing position and all that. Granted, I've done the route faster on my FZ1, but that's a 2 wheeler. Maybe I need to take the F3 out to Deckers (even twistier mountain road in Colorado) so all the people who don't own one can tell me I didn't do that either.

Have you ever actually ridden an F3 in twisties? Looks like an RS in your avatar, but perhaps I missed your tales of experience on the F3.
    Sorry Mate, with 58 years of two wheels behind me, I could never get anywhere with my legs out front. We slid the mockup F3 all over the place and could not get comfortable. It is me, lots of spine dammage from two DEER wrecks. I wish you luck with your F3.

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't want to ride twisties with forward controls on a 2 wheeler either, but it works for me on the F3. Might be the center of gravity issue...don't know, not a scientist. I like the F3, you like the RS, good thing they make both right?

You should try a rifle for those deer kills, might hurt the shoulder a bit but the back doesn't feel much pain.

Sorry Mate, with 58 years of two wheels behind me, I could never get anywhere with my legs out front. We slid the mockup F3 all over the place and could not get comfortable. It is me, lots of spine dammage from two DEER wrecks. I wish you luck with your F3.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thebrainn View Post
    I wouldn't want to ride twisties with forward controls on a 2 wheeler either, but it works for me on the F3. Might be the center of gravity issue...don't know, not a scientist. I like the F3, you like the RS, good thing they make both right?

You should try a rifle for those deer kills, might hurt the shoulder a bit but the back doesn't feel much pain.
    Thanks ole man, we had the left shoulder put back together last January. Ride safe see ya on the road.

Spyder Garage

Perhaps when they are shipped from the factory the front end is partially removed, wheels fenders, plastic, battery and handlebars for more compact shipping and then reassembled at their point of sale.. Where realignment is omitted!
    At one time I assembled and prepared various machines for sale and the front end, is usually removed and packed packed separately. This allows for smaller shipping cases and cheaper shipping.. Careful assembly fluids and a short test to finish!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I also posted this in the F3 forum but thought it would be good here as well.

I dropped my 2012 RS off at the dealer for an oil change and while I was waiting they let me take their F3 demo out for a ride. It was about a 25 mile ride and in that time I think I have a pretty good sense of what the F3 is and isn't. I thought I would share my thoughts here for other RS, RS-S riders who are thinking about an F3.

Pros:
    Electronic parking brake......My 2012 RS has a manual parking brake and the electronic one is so much nicer.
    Exhaust sound.... The triple makes a nice throaty exhaust note that I really liked
    Relaxed Nanny....The relaxed nanny lets you burn the tire a little and even get a little sideways. Nice, should be like that for all Spyders.
    Brakes......The brakes were excellent, just excellent

Cons:
    Seating position..The seating position on the F3 is all cruiser and almost identical to my Harley. If you like that position its great but personally I don't. I find this position to be uncomfortable for long rides (more than 100 miles). I also find that when the road starts getting rough this seating position puts that rough road jolt right into your butt and lower back. Very uncomfortable. Its one of the reasons I sold my Harley and a VERY BIG reason I would not buy an F3
    Bodywork....I haven't heard this mentioned before but when sitting on the F3 it feels to me like there is a whole lot of long, wide bodywork in front of me. The RS does not have this. On the RS is feels just the opposite, like nothing is between you and the road. The F3 just feels like a whole lot of bike between me and the road.

Overall the F3 is a nice bike. The 1330 engine is nice although personally I don't see it as a major (maybe even no) performance improvement over the 998. It sounds nice but I'm not sure its any faster than the 998 and while driving it I had hard time "reading" the engine. "Reading" the engine meaning is the RPM to low, to high, is the power band where I need it to be to pass, etc. It reminded me a lot of the 4-stroke engines BRP is putting in the sleds. There is this on/off quality about it. It did seem to have a bit more pull than the 998 but without lining the 2 up side by side I don't know if its true. The relaxed nanny is super nice. I'm not sure why BRP didn't do this a long time ago. With a smooth road the ride quality is fine but once the road gets a little rough you immediately feel it right in the seat of your pants. The RS rides better over more road conditions I think. I also thought the F3 required much more handlebar movement for turning than the RS does. If your a "cruiser" bike type of rider I think the F3 is what your looking for in a Spyder. It you are more of a sport bike, straight bike, cross over bike, dual sport type bike rider I don't think you'll be happy with the F3. It was fun to demo the bike but I certainly wouldn't buy one. I'm hoping BRP has something in store for the RS, RS-S in 2016.

A side note. The F3 I demoed had 359 miles on it and the front end without a doubt was not aligned properly. It wandered all over the road. How is it BRP still can't provided a properly aligned bike from the factory. There really is no excuse for this.
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I've seen one in the crate. The front wheels were off. Didn't see if any other front end parts were off.

Quote Originally Posted by colm54 View Post
    Perhaps when they are shipped from the factory the front end is partially removed, wheels fenders, plastic, battery and handlebars for more compact shipping and then reassembled at their point of sale.. Where realignment is omitted!
    At one time I assembled and prepared various machines for sale and the front end, is usually removed and packed packed separately. This allows for smaller shipping cases and cheaper shipping.. Careful assembly fluids and a short test to finish!

Spyder Garage

I respectfully disagree, I went riding with some friends that I ride with a lot, they are mainly RS and ST riders.
    We went for a ride through one of our favourite twistie areas, I was up front on my F3 and there was no-one sitting
    on my tail like has happened in the past when riding my RSS or my ST that both had the Fox Shock and Swaybar upgrade.

Have you ridden an F3 through some decent twisties?
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I respectfully disagree, I went riding with some friends that I ride with a lot, they are mainly RS and ST riders.
    We went for a ride through one of our favourite twistie areas, I was up front on my F3 and there was no-one sitting
    on my tail like has happened in the past when riding my RSS or my ST that both had the Fox Shock and Swaybar upgrade.

Your delusional if you think you can ride harder sitting on your ass with your feet out in front of you vs. being able to use your legs for body control....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Your delusional if you think you can ride harder sitting on your ass with your feet out in front of you vs. being able to use your legs for body control....
    I guess I must be doing something wrong then?? Or my riding buddies are trying to make me look good.
    And to be honest, I haven't been delusional for at least a couple of months
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[emoji1] [emoji106]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Still Shopping

I haven't bought my Spyder yet, but am doing my research. I currently ride a Suzuki Boulevard c90t, so I am quite used to the cruiser style set up. That is why I am looking at the F3. I have always ridden cruisers except for my first bike way back in the 80's (Honda V65 Magna-a standard). I have been of the opinion that the RS set up would not suit me, because of WHY I am looking at the Spyder. See, my knees are getting worse, seemingly by the month. I am predicting that in a year, 2 at the outside, I will HAVE to give up 2 wheels and go to 3. All that being said, I am a long distance rider, state coordinator for Run For The Wall, every May I do several days of 300+ miles. I always thought it was my seat, but after reading these posts I may have to say it is the cruiser "stance" that has been causing my tail-bone issues. I may have to forego the F3, and start focusing on the ST. I would say RS but, I really don't think the sitting on my heels thing will work for me, especially with knee issues. I am not a fan of the RT either, just TOO big. I will try them all eventually though and posts like this are making me THINK, which is always a good thing before spending that much $$$. BTW, I ride most of the time, regardless of weather. My bike currently gets in excess of 20k miles per year, vs. my car getting less than 10K.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    I haven't bought my Spyder yet, but am doing my research. I currently ride a Suzuki Boulevard c90t, so I am quite used to the cruiser style set up. That is why I am looking at the F3. I have always ridden cruisers except for my first bike way back in the 80's (Honda V65 Magna-a standard). I have been of the opinion that the RS set up would not suit me, because of WHY I am looking at the Spyder. See, my knees are getting worse, seemingly by the month. I am predicting that in a year, 2 at the outside, I will HAVE to give up 2 wheels and go to 3. All that being said, I am a long distance rider, state coordinator for Run For The Wall, every May I do several days of 300+ miles. I always thought it was my seat, but after reading these posts I may have to say it is the cruiser "stance" that has been causing my tail-bone issues. I may have to forego the F3, and start focusing on the ST. I would say RS but, I really don't think the sitting on my heels thing will work for me, especially with knee issues. I am not a fan of the RT either, just TOO big. I will try them all eventually though and posts like this are making me THINK, which is always a good thing before spending that much $$$. BTW, I ride most of the time, regardless of weather. My bike currently gets in excess of 20k miles per year, vs. my car getting less than 10K.

I wouldn't give up on the F3 just yet. Most of the people who are commenting in a negative fashion really don't have enough experience on it to be credible. I have found the F3 to be exceptionally confortable especially compared to the RS style riding position.

Try them all and make up your own mind. These fourms are fine and a lot of good information can be found on them but you still need to consider that the negative seems to bubble to the surface and is not necessarily representive of everyones experience.

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't give up on the F3 just yet. Most of the people who are commenting in a negative fashion really don't have enough experience on it to be credible. I have found the F3 to be exceptionally confortable especially compared to the RS style riding position.

Try them all and make up your own mind. These fourms are fine and a lot of good information can be found on them but you still need to consider that the negative seems to bubble to the surface and is not necessarily representive of everyones experience.
    I had 33,000 Miles on the RS/GS I traded for the F3 and there is No comparison. The F3 corners way better and faster "Without" you feeling like your going to be tossed off the side AND it can also limp along like a Sunday cruiser in real comfort AND I can get Much more pressure on the brake pedal when my legs aren't scruncthed UP like a pretzel?

Its Not as fast 0-60 GS=4.5 F3=4.8 But the torque of the engine More than makes up for this in other area's .

It NOT for everyone But I love it and You can "Make Up" your own mind- Isn't America Great!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post

Your buddies were trying to make you feel good, at least the RS buddies were.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Your buddies were trying to make you feel good, at least the RS buddies were.
    Ain't that the truth. Still funny how the f3 kool-aid kids try to ram it down our throats.
    Don't get me wrong, the f3 is a nice machine, but it's not hanging with an RS in the twisties riding hard...or in the straights really.
    It's a cruiser, you just don't have the same body weight control with all your weight on your ass. It is what it is.

Body positioning is key when riding the corners hard. And there is nothing like hanging off the side in a hard tight turn, feeling the back tire on the edge of sliding out vs. staying hooked up!
    You need your legs to ride like that....

Last edited by DrewNJ; 10-08-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Agree!!!!!

Like sport bike and cruiser.

And i have ridden both.

Not a cruiser could beat through corners and yes i have an rs.

The only thing with the f3 is the 1330 and lower gearing which makes lower end

Different strokes for different folks.

Everybody has a faster bike

Spyder Garage

Ain't that the truth. Still funny how the f3 kool-aid kids try to ram it down our throats.
    Don't get me wrong, the f3 is a nice machine, but it's not hanging with an RS in the twisties riding hard...or in the straights really.
    It's a cruiser, you just don't have the same body weight control with all your weight on your ass. It is what it is.

Body positioning is key when riding the corners hard. And there is nothing like hanging off the side in a hard tight turn, feeling the back tire on the edge of sliding out vs. staying hooked up!
    You need your legs to ride like that....

Have to admit to some confusion. How stating "try them all and make up your own mind" is trying to "ram it down our throats"?

I don't care what anybody rides but from what I have seen a lot of folks have moved from the RS line to the F3 and have been very happy. I have not seen anyone as yet wishing to go back. The only spyders the dealer where I live have left are RS/RSS. A whole line of them sitting out front. One of the few RS spyders that they did sell this year was my used 2010 RS that was sold within 3 hours of me trading it in to a guy on a 2012 RSS. They sold every F3 and RT that they could get their hands on.

It may also be true (or not) that you may be a faster rider than me but I stated and maintain after riding both for an extended period of time that the F3 is faster, more comfortable and handles better than the RS/RSS.

Again I would say to anyone in the market for a spyder RIDE THEM ALL and decide for yourself which one meets your individual needs.