Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RS rider takes the F3 for a demo ride.

I also posted this in the F3 forum but thought it would be good here as well.

I dropped my 2012 RS off at the dealer for an oil change and while I was waiting they let me take their F3 demo out for a ride. It was about a 25 mile ride and in that time I think I have a pretty good sense of what the F3 is and isn't. I thought I would share my thoughts here for other RS, RS-S riders who are thinking about an F3.

Pros:
    Electronic parking brake......My 2012 RS has a manual parking brake and the electronic one is so much nicer.
    Exhaust sound.... The triple makes a nice throaty exhaust note that I really liked
    Relaxed Nanny....The relaxed nanny lets you burn the tire a little and even get a little sideways. Nice, should be like that for all Spyders.
    Brakes......The brakes were excellent, just excellent

Cons:
    Seating position..The seating position on the F3 is all cruiser and almost identical to my Harley. If you like that position its great but personally I don't. I find this position to be uncomfortable for long rides (more than 100 miles). I also find that when the road starts getting rough this seating position puts that rough road jolt right into your butt and lower back. Very uncomfortable. Its one of the reasons I sold my Harley and a VERY BIG reason I would not buy an F3
    Bodywork....I haven't heard this mentioned before but when sitting on the F3 it feels to me like there is a whole lot of long, wide bodywork in front of me. The RS does not have this. On the RS is feels just the opposite, like nothing is between you and the road. The F3 just feels like a whole lot of bike between me and the road.

Overall the F3 is a nice bike. The 1330 engine is nice although personally I don't see it as a major (maybe even no) performance improvement over the 998. It sounds nice but I'm not sure its any faster than the 998 and while driving it I had hard time "reading" the engine. "Reading" the engine meaning is the RPM to low, to high, is the power band where I need it to be to pass, etc. It reminded me a lot of the 4-stroke engines BRP is putting in the sleds. There is this on/off quality about it. It did seem to have a bit more pull than the 998 but without lining the 2 up side by side I don't know if its true. The relaxed nanny is super nice. I'm not sure why BRP didn't do this a long time ago. With a smooth road the ride quality is fine but once the road gets a little rough you immediately feel it right in the seat of your pants. The RS rides better over more road conditions I think. I also thought the F3 required much more handlebar movement for turning than the RS does. If your a "cruiser" bike type of rider I think the F3 is what your looking for in a Spyder. It you are more of a sport bike, straight bike, cross over bike, dual sport type bike rider I don't think you'll be happy with the F3. It was fun to demo the bike but I certainly wouldn't buy one. I'm hoping BRP has something in store for the RS, RS-S in 2016.

A side note. The F3 I demoed had 359 miles on it and the front end without a doubt was not aligned properly. It wandered all over the road. How is it BRP still can't provided a properly aligned bike from the factory. There really is no excuse for this.

Spyder Garage

Rob, you are spot on with your assessment. The strange seating of the F3 is the reason I have an RS-S.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default Nice review..!!

thanks for posting..love my RS and the high rpm twin...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for Posting- I'm going to Demo a F3 and see if its worth Trading my 09GS SE5 with 32,500 miles for.
    Was Out in 95 Degree (Air quality alert ) today on my GS and it ran Great with 5 Bars and about 30% 4 Bars so I was happy. I guess a good test ride is in order!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the honest review. I was thinking the seating position and ride might be just what you found. If you are riding with your feet forward, all the the stress from the bumps and rougher roads will go right up your spine. That is typical for cruiser riding position. I had a Harley too, I know. Not good for bad backs.
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wheeler View Post
    Thanks for the honest review. I was thinking the seating position and ride might be just what you found. If you are riding with your feet forward, all the the stress from the bumps and rougher roads will go right up your spine. That is typical for cruiser riding position. I had a Harley too, I know. Not good for bad backs.
    I have demoed 2 and they ride very smooth. No jarring on the spins at all

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That was completely my thoughts as well Rob. I had one for a day demo as well. It's a nice machine, different in some ways, better/worse in others. But not better to make it worth a change.

Spyder Garage

I test sat one--but am not in the market, so, did not want to waste the dealers time with a test drive.

So, what's coming out in 2016?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Did the dealer have one set up with the U-fit system mounted? While the controls are definitely 'forward' mounted, the U-fit allows the pegs to be moved back substantially, resulting in a more 'standard' bike position. To each their own, but I would encourage those considering one to try it at a dealer with the U-fit installed.

Spyder Garage

Every F3 has the Ufit system- but for the position of the bars or pedals to be moved you have to switch out the center of the bars and links on the controls. It's not an easy adjustment that can go between the different positions.

Sam Mancuso
    2015 F3-S and 2009 RS
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thebrainn View Post
    Did the dealer have one set up with the U-fit system mounted? While the controls are definitely 'forward' mounted, the U-fit allows the pegs to be moved back substantially, resulting in a more 'standard' bike position. To each their own, but I would encourage those considering one to try it at a dealer with the U-fit installed.
    The one I rode had the foot pegs in around the middle position. I was just a bit shorter than the guy at the dealership whose demo bike it was. He set it up for him. I felt I could have pulled my feet back a couple inches but the position of the foot pegs wasn't that bad. The foot pegs around infinitely adjustable either (its only the factory spots to choose from). The handlebars where in a perfect position. That said, just playing around on the seat there is no way to get your feet under you with being very cramped up or get close to an RS seating position. So, to me that means no matter where my feet are my backside is going to get the rough road bumps no matter what.

I don't want to sound negative. The F3 is a great bike......its just not a bike for me.

Spyder Garage

I own an F3 (actually the wife does), the adjustment is easy and shouldn't take anyone more than about 15 minutes from beginning to end after the second time you do it. I have changed my wife's pegs and bars three times and anyone can do it and do it quickly and easily. What about the swap do you find difficult and time consuming?

Also, you misunderstood about my reference to the system. A number of dealers have an F3 on the showroom floor with the U-fit demo system installed. It allows the pegs and bars to be moved through their entire adjustment range quickly and easily. Here's a video of it in action:

Quote Originally Posted by qasamm View Post
    Every F3 has the Ufit system- but for the position of the bars or pedals to be moved you have to switch out the center of the bars and links on the controls. It's not an easy adjustment that can go between the different positions.

Sam Mancuso
    2015 F3-S and 2009 RS

Spyder Garage

Rob,

I'm not saying everyone will enjoy the F3 and you absolutely should only buy what you enjoy. What I meant to clarify is that your experience was with the bars and pegs in only one of their potential positions. With the pegs moved all the way in (towards the rider) the position is much less forward and closer in fact to a standard.

Can Am, has an app on their webpage that allows you estimate your body position based on rider height, gender, footpeg position and bar position. While not 100% accurate, it illustrates what position a rider of given size will be in with every possible setting. http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/spyder-f3-fitment.html For example, a 5' 10" rider with the pegs in position 1 or 2 will be positioned very similar to a standard. Compare that to other bikes on http://cycle-ergo.com/ and you will find the similarity.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I just don't want other people writing the F3 off with information that only represents a narrow range of the bike's adjustability. They need to go to a dealer who has the demo system on an F3 so they can actually feel the body position throughout the range of adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    The one I rode had the foot pegs in around the middle position. I was just a bit shorter than the guy at the dealership whose demo bike it was. He set it up for him. I felt I could have pulled my feet back a couple inches but the position of the foot pegs wasn't that bad. The foot pegs around infinitely adjustable either (its only the factory spots to choose from). The handlebars where in a perfect position. That said, just playing around on the seat there is no way to get your feet under you with being very cramped up or get close to an RS seating position. So, to me that means no matter where my feet are my backside is going to get the rough road bumps no matter what.

I don't want to sound negative. The F3 is a great bike......its just not a bike for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rob,

I'm not saying everyone will enjoy the F3 and you absolutely should only buy what you enjoy. What I meant to clarify is that your experience was with the bars and pegs in only one of their potential positions. With the pegs moved all the way in (towards the rider) the position is much less forward and closer in fact to a standard.

Can Am, has an app on their webpage that allows you estimate your body position based on rider height, gender, footpeg position and bar position. While not 100% accurate, it illustrates what position a rider of given size will be in with every possible setting. http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/spyder-f3-fitment.html For example, a 5' 10" rider with the pegs in position 1 or 2 will be positioned very similar to a standard. Compare that to other bikes on http://cycle-ergo.com/ and you will find the similarity.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I just don't want other people writing the F3 off with information that only represents a narrow range of the bike's adjustability. They need to go to a dealer who has the demo system on an F3 so they can actually feel the body position throughout the range of adjustment.
    Right, they had a showroom bike set up with the U-Fit system. The problem for me is. When I bring my feet back with the pegs (adjust the u-fit pegs to the back position) the distance between my butt and my feet is very close because the seat height is lower than the RS. My feet may be under me more near a position they would be on an RS (although I'm not sure how close it is) but my legs are very cramped. Its just not a comfortable way to sit for me. Having my legs stretched forward (like Harley forward controls) was comfortable but as I said that puts every bump in the road right in the seat of your pants. I'm not sure what your roads are like but in VT most of them have pavement patches on top of pavement patches on top of pavement patches. They are not smooth. Riding in the "forward control" position for a 100 miles on roads like this and my a$$ and lower back are broke,

Anyone who is thinking of buying an F3 should definitely check it out and test ride. Its a great bike and they may love it. I'm just saying I don't like the seating position options (and some other things). It's not for me. If I had bought an F3 before riding it based on my RS experience I'd be very disappointed.

Its not just the F3. I'd never buy an RT because I don't want to drive a 3-wheeled RV around. For some people thought that's exactly what they are looking for its a great bike for them.

Spyder Garage

Rob,

I understand your issue with the bike better now. My wife also found she had to move the position of the pegs to a different setting for the same reason. Luckily though, she found a position that works well for her.

BTW, I love my RV.

Here's hoping they put the 1330 in the RS next year or at least on the ST.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Right, they had a showroom bike set up with the U-Fit system. The problem for me is. When I bring my feet back with the pegs (adjust the u-fit pegs to the back position) the distance between my butt and my feet is very close because the seat height is lower than the RS. My feet may be under me more near a position they would be on an RS (although I'm not sure how close it is) but my legs are very cramped. Its just not a comfortable way to sit for me. Having my legs stretched forward (like Harley forward controls) was comfortable but as I said that puts every bump in the road right in the seat of your pants. I'm not sure what your roads are like but in VT most of them have pavement patches on top of pavement patches on top of pavement patches. They are not smooth. Riding in the "forward control" position for a 100 miles on roads like this and my a$$ and lower back are broke,

Anyone who is thinking of buying an F3 should definitely check it out and test ride. Its a great bike and they may love it. I'm just saying I don't like the seating position options (and some other things). It's not for me. If I had bought an F3 before riding it based on my RS experience I'd be very disappointed.

Its not just the F3. I'd never buy an RT because I don't want to drive a 3-wheeled RV around. For some people thought that's exactly what they are looking for its a great bike for them.

Spyder Garage

I own an F3 (actually the wife does), the adjustment is easy and shouldn't take anyone more than about 15 minutes from beginning to end after the second time you do it. I have changed my wife's pegs and bars three times and anyone can do it and do it quickly and easily. What about the swap do you find difficult and time consuming?

Also, you misunderstood about my reference to the system. A number of dealers have an F3 on the showroom floor with the U-fit demo system installed. It allows the pegs and bars to be moved through their entire adjustment range quickly and easily. Here's a video of it in action:
    Sorry, I misunderstood. Still, you can't adjust anything on the fly and changes require the appropriate links and bar. I have switched between handlebars and it is fairly quick. Just not something practical to do when switching pilots on the F3.

Sam Mancuso
    2015 F3-S and 2009 RS
    Sam Mancuso

Spyder Garage

Very true. While possible, I wouldn't want to do a roadside swap. I actually mentioned to my wife a while back that it would be nice if you could adjust at least the pegs on the fly. We both agreed that it would likely be a small portion of F3 owners who would use this feature. Most will change it to their desired position and it will never move after that. I may fabricate an adjustable brake linkage that would be on the fly adjustable (roadside but without disconnecting the linkage), but again, I don't see it being something many others would want.

Quote Originally Posted by qasamm View Post
    Sorry, I misunderstood. Still, you can't adjust anything on the fly and changes require the appropriate links and bar. I have switched between handlebars and it is fairly quick. Just not something practical to do when switching pilots on the F3.

Sam Mancuso
    2015 F3-S and 2009 RS

Spyder Garage

My wife would want it because she can't reach my pedals (I don't wasn't it! She has her own Spyder.)

Sam Mancuso
    2015 F3-S and 2009 RS
    Sam Mancuso

Spyder Garage

I did, it still sucked. One has to pick up the foot to activate the brake. That aint how it is done.

Spyder Garage

The original review in this thread and comments on the U-Fit system pretty much fit with my own assumptions on the F3 - we haven't got F3's in NZ yet so I've not been able to check.

I've had one cruiser (Suzuki Intruder) and hated the sitting position to the point where I'd prefer to ride a ancient Honda CD175 on long journeys.

I'm 6'2" with a 36" inside leg (yes getting jeans can be difficult:-)) so according to the U-Fit page I should have the pegs in the most forward position which I don't want. If I had the pegs as far back as possible, which is where I'd want them, then looking at the photos of people on F3's my knees would be cramped high and forward enough to be banging against the ridge where the body work flares out.

My RS seat, pegs and bars are completely standard, I find the seating position just right for me and comfortable for all day riding.

If the cruiser position is comfortable then why do I never see HD's at the endurance rally's I do?...though obviously reliability may also be a factor:-).

I'll just keep my RS until BRP do an RSS with a standard/sports mode switch.

Spyder Garage

As a former RS owner of over 5 years and current F3 owner I feel that the "review" of the F3 by the OP was lacking and somewhat misleading. Some of what was said was pretty subjective and I get that, but the assertation of performance issues with the F3 that has only 359 miles when compared to a broken in RS is unfair. If the OP were to ride my F3 that has over 1200 miles on it now, and is still not what I consider broken, would have a far different experience. My RS was a very potent performer but cannot hold a candle to my new F3. I find I can power through corners at speeds I would never dreamed of on the RS and it does it with no effort and it is getting better the more I ride. The torque this motor develops is amazing from a wide RPM range and will push you back in the seat pretty much in any gear.

I spent a whole bunch of money on my RS getting the seating and handle bars comfortable. The F3 is designed to be adjustable to a wide range of riders at minimal expense. Does it fit everyone? No but it does fit a lot wider range of people muc easier than the RS did/does. If you doubt this just look as all the after market handle bar and seating options available. My personal preference is the F3 seating position and can ride all day in comfort. I don't understand how riding crotch rocket style could possibly be comfortable let alone for all day riding but hey if it works for somone then great.

As far as the body work goes again that is pretty subjective and I personally like the F3 style and body work better than the RS. There is also something that was not discussed in the review in that the F3 has less plastic and therefore less to fiddle with when you do anything on the machine. With the RS there was a lot of time removing plastic panels to do anything. Even just checking the oil was a fiddely process with that cover and goffey attachment screws to mess with. With the F3 there is just a small panel that pops off and thats it.

Another issue that was completely overlooked was the extras. To put a passenger back rest on the RS was a major pain in the back side that involved stripping all the plastic from the handle bars back, the rear fender liner, seat and battery. Took me hours and hours to do this. The F3 took about 15 seconds to put the back rest on the first time. Same thing if you try and change the handle bars. Plan on spending a lot of time and a good deal of frustration just getting that silly handle bar cover off.

Something else that was not discussed is fuel mileage. The 1330 blows any of the 998's out of the water in this catagory. I ride with some RS and RT folks with the 998 motor and they fill up twice as often. I understand that a 25 mile test ride wouldn't show this so thought in fairness to the F3 I would point it out. Maintenence in general is another area that is a vast imporvement over the RS. Much longer interval's between oil changes and no valve adjustment ever.

My intent is not to run down the RS/RS-S as I owned and enjoyed mine for over 5 years. I did not feel that this was a fair and objective review and lacked some important information. I would encourage anyone in the market for a Spyder to look at all of the models. Determine your needs/wants and see which model fits you best.

Spyder Garage

The birthing riding position (feet foward) just does not cut it when one rides the twisties. Feet forword may be ok for the polker run crowd but not for any aggressive riding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"The birthing riding position"....[emoji38]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Post If I had rented an F3, I wouldn't own a Spyder

Seated in the birthing position, listening to a droning 3 cylinder, and feeling like I looked like I was trying to hard, filling fans howling like a jet engine..... I just really don't care for them either.

I personally find the lightweight twin to be a character fun filled engine that sounds like a million bucks. Hoping for something more interesting on the next go round.
    Those who can't, criticize those who do.

2011 Spyder RSS SM5 - Bought new Apr 2015

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ard View Post
    As a former RS owner of over 5 years and current F3 owner I feel that the "review" of the F3 by the OP was lacking and somewhat misleading. Some of what was said was pretty subjective and I get that, but the assertation of performance issues with the F3 that has only 359 miles when compared to a broken in RS is unfair. If the OP were to ride my F3 that has over 1200 miles on it now, and is still not what I consider broken, would have a far different experience. My RS was a very potent performer but cannot hold a candle to my new F3. I find I can power through corners at speeds I would never dreamed of on the RS and it does it with no effort and it is getting better the more I ride. The torque this motor develops is amazing from a wide RPM range and will push you back in the seat pretty much in any gear.

I spent a whole bunch of money on my RS getting the seating and handle bars comfortable. The F3 is designed to be adjustable to a wide range of riders at minimal expense. Does it fit everyone? No but it does fit a lot wider range of people muc easier than the RS did/does. If you doubt this just look as all the after market handle bar and seating options available. My personal preference is the F3 seating position and can ride all day in comfort. I don't understand how riding crotch rocket style could possibly be comfortable let alone for all day riding but hey if it works for somone then great.

As far as the body work goes again that is pretty subjective and I personally like the F3 style and body work better than the RS. There is also something that was not discussed in the review in that the F3 has less plastic and therefore less to fiddle with when you do anything on the machine. With the RS there was a lot of time removing plastic panels to do anything. Even just checking the oil was a fiddely process with that cover and goffey attachment screws to mess with. With the F3 there is just a small panel that pops off and thats it.

Another issue that was completely overlooked was the extras. To put a passenger back rest on the RS was a major pain in the back side that involved stripping all the plastic from the handle bars back, the rear fender liner, seat and battery. Took me hours and hours to do this. The F3 took about 15 seconds to put the back rest on the first time. Same thing if you try and change the handle bars. Plan on spending a lot of time and a good deal of frustration just getting that silly handle bar cover off.

Something else that was not discussed is fuel mileage. The 1330 blows any of the 998's out of the water in this catagory. I ride with some RS and RT folks with the 998 motor and they fill up twice as often. I understand that a 25 mile test ride wouldn't show this so thought in fairness to the F3 I would point it out. Maintenence in general is another area that is a vast imporvement over the RS. Much longer interval's between oil changes and no valve adjustment ever.

My intent is not to run down the RS/RS-S as I owned and enjoyed mine for over 5 years. I did not feel that this was a fair and objective review and lacked some important information. I would encourage anyone in the market for a Spyder to look at all of the models. Determine your needs/wants and see which model fits you best.

I'm not sure I was putting forward an "in depth" review and I really wasn't trying to mislead anyone about anything. I was simply giving my opinion about what I liked and disliked about the F3 vs my RS after a 25 mile demo ride. You have your opinions and I have mine....that's fine with me.

I will say this about your comment "I find I can power through corners at speeds I would never dreamed of on the RS and it does it with no effort and it is getting better the more I ride." I doubt this has very little, if anything to do with the actual performance of the F3 and I suspect this is true for you because you feel more comfortable on the F3 than the RS and therefore will let yourself "push it" more. In effect, because you sit down into the F3 more the sensation of being pushed off the bike by the corner centripetal force is less then it is on the RS. With less centripetal sensation you feel more comfortable and confident and therefore allow yourself to go faster through the corner. In reality I'm sure the RS and the F3 can power through a corner at the same speed before the nanny kicks in if the rider will allow himself/herself to push the bike to that limit.