Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Buyer

Spyder Garage

Default Potential Buyer

I am a disabled vet, full time single dad to a wonderful 16 yo girl, and I grew up on dirt bikes from the time I was 4, now 44, and had to give up my dirt and street bikes spring 2007. Hate having this huge empty void that drags me down from my core. I messed my back up while I was in the military back in '91. I have been wanting a Gold Wing with California Sidecar trike kit for years now, and then spent a couple of hours in my local Spyder dealer last week. Price point, features, etc....I really like what I see in the Spyder RT.

Now for my concerns - as a failed back surgery patient, I see the lack of foot positions to give my legs various angles for change. I did find the Rivco link, and see that as a viable option.

I also notice can-am offers a "comfort seat" that moves me back 2" - I'll take 2" over stock seat any day being 6' and the need for more room. Is the Ultimate seat worth the extra price over the Can-Am comfort seat?

Reliability from the '14 newer models? I keep reading several posts on all the sensors, computers, etc on these. I started riding street bikes with my daughter when she was 4, and I want to be able to get back out and have some fun with her, and let her pilot one, maybe buy her own Spyder. But I want to be able to hit the road for months at a time and not have a nagging worry in the back of my mind.

When I spoke to my local dealer about doing a test ride, they were hesitant, and stated that it would be no problem if it was a deal breaker. I thought this was one aspect of the Can-Am experience? To be able to test ride without hassle.

Thank you for any input

David Shelton

Spyder Garage

Default Hmm

I have an RT, and had some back problems, but just installed a Utopia Products seatback and it feels much better in the back. The RT has big floorboards so no issue there. As to a test ride, I had my trike license... and had no problem getting a ride.. and it's what sold me. Push on that.
    Bryan

2015 Spyder RT Special Edition

http://triketrek.com A website dedicated to the Spyder RT.

Farkle:
    Utopia backrest
    Garmin cheap ass GPS
    Some canned sparkling water in trunk.
    Intense Red Pearl/Steel Black Metallic
    Travels so far:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluedeval03 View Post
    I am a disabled vet, full time single dad to a wonderful 16 yo girl, and I grew up on dirt bikes from the time I was 4, now 44, and had to give up my dirt and street bikes spring 2007. Hate having this huge empty void that drags me down from my core. I messed my back up while I was in the military back in '91. I have been wanting a Gold Wing with California Sidecar trike kit for years now, and then spent a couple of hours in my local Spyder dealer last week. Price point, features, etc....I really like what I see in the Spyder RT.

Now for my concerns - as a failed back surgery patient, I see the lack of foot positions to give my legs various angles for change. I did find the Rivco link, and see that as a viable option.

I also notice can-am offers a "comfort seat" that moves me back 2" - I'll take 2" over stock seat any day being 6' and the need for more room. Is the Ultimate seat worth the extra price over the Can-Am comfort seat?

Reliability from the '14 newer models? I keep reading several posts on all the sensors, computers, etc on these. I started riding street bikes with my daughter when she was 4, and I want to be able to get back out and have some fun with her, and let her pilot one, maybe buy her own Spyder. But I want to be able to hit the road for months at a time and not have a nagging worry in the back of my mind.

When I spoke to my local dealer about doing a test ride, they were hesitant, and stated that it would be no problem if it was a deal breaker. I thought this was one aspect of the Can-Am experience? To be able to test ride without hassle.

Thank you for any input

David Shelton
    David, thank you for your service. Veterans have a special place in my heart, particularly disabled ones.

The highway pegs will help for sure, as will the comfort seat. The only thing I can say about the comfort seat is that the two inches you gain, is a two inch loss for your passenger if you have one.

Best of everything to you. The Spyder was a blessing for me also, as my aging body told me to get off the two wheels and get on three.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your service David. The Spyder is a great choice and as far as boards and foot position, look at the Seal boards, They stretch front to back and transform the Spyder from locked foot position to stick your feet where you like. If you get the SE6 model, they take minutes to install and are super sturdy. At this point, I would NOT be considering seat options as there are many but wait till you have a chance to sit on a stock saddle for a few hours. Last, if the dealer is leery about test rides, find another. Heck, there are likely owners near you who would be happy to let you take a ride on their Spyder... you can ride mine if you are near San Antonio. I have a 2010 RT which is all my budget could handle. Anyway, welcome!
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can't vouch from personal experience since I have none, but I've heard a number of people say steering a 'wing trike, even with a raked front end, is harder than steering the Spyder. I would think that would a major consideration with back problems. The Spyder has power steering, the Goldwing does not.

If foot positions causes issues by having to use the foot brake all the time ISCI offers an aftermarket hand brake option. There are a number of floorboard options and highway pegs from aftermarket suppliers. I'm sure you can find a combination to fit your needs.

Don't worry about reliability. Sure, they don't match the Goldwings yet, but I've had no problem nor hesitation in going on a 7000 mile trip last year and 4700 miles this year across several states. Very few Spyders have left riders sitting by the roadside. But Goldwings have also. There is no 100% guarantee against having problems.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 07-18-2015 at 11:34 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR QUESTIONS

Thank you for any input

David Shelton
    ...Thank you for you service ......Is the dealer concerned because of you dis-ability or wether you have a motorcycle license ???......The 14 &15 - RT's have the 1330 engine and trans and so far have been better than the V-twin.....Also much, much less expensive to service.....The RT-S has floor boards although the basic is very easy to some home made ones on ( that's what I did )......and if I were you I would go to the HOME page ( see above ) and look for the AD from IMOTORSPORTS ......they are having an incredible sale on the RT model, and they will even ship it to you for free.....................good luck.......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now's the time to be asking the questions!
    Pam mentioned that the comfort seat robs space from the passenger: that's true for any seat that is going to give you additional legroom.
    The OEM floorboards on the RT-S and Limited; do allow a lot of "Dance Space" for your feet...
    There are a pretty fair amount of aftermarket sources for highway pegs now. Some of the best are from right in here at the LaMonster Garage. (Check out the Forum's home page)
    Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

David - Thank you for your service. I'm a retired Air Force veteran myself.

As for test rides, if possible check around at other dealers. As an example, a dealer about 3 miles from my house will next let customers take test rides unless you have had your motorcycle license for two years. Yesterday I went by another dealer that is 25 miles away where I was able to test ride both the RT and F3 with no problems.

Also, I might be moving to the Lexington, KY area in the next 6 months or so. Would like to do some riding together.

Spyder Garage

2014 or 2015 RT-S SM6 is a standard shift, with foot pegs only. You can get after market floor boards from "Seal" but have to convert to a heal/toe shifter. They have some videos and some nice pictures of their product and installation. However, these boards are sturdy and big... Plenty of room to move your feet around.

The '14/'15 RT-S SE6 or Limited is the semi-auto paddle shifter on the left hand... Giving you floor boards included in the price of the semi auto option.

I am 42, 6ft tall and have a bad lower back due to multiple degenerative discs and a bad wreck in 2011. No surgery as of yet, but at times I can barely walk due to the muscle spasms and pain. Nevertheless, I ride a 2014 RT-S SM6 and have the standard seat with the pegs...I added the can am back rest and air hawk R seat pad. I struggle to get comfy on long rides but I think I have issues due to my posture, previous back issues and other reasons I can't fully explain. I didn't feel the need to spend a bunch more money on the extra 2" but maybe that too would help me get more comfy on the long rides. I also recently considered adding highway pegs to be able to stretch out the legs. Luckily I can maneuver my feet easily for shifting and stopping, but I can see the hand brake being a good add on after.

My wife has a gold wing trike (motor trike kit) and although a nice looking ride, it is noticeably different, sometimes nerve racking, shakey and odd to maneuver after riding on a Spyder. I can say that the spyder is so much easier to drive, steer, back out of parking spaces or driveways due to an actual reverse gear, very stable with the two wheels on the front end, etc. But hands down the gold wing smokes the spyder when it comes to power... That 1800 can make your skin tingle. Take the power out of the equation and the spyder by far is safer and easier to drive. And cheaper to buy....her trike was in the 30's.

Luckily I haven't had any troubles with the spyder, from a repair or mechanical standpoint. Maybe because I'm still under 3000 miles after a year. I would like to ride more, just can't due to job, kids, and other things. But when I do ride, I have a ton of fun and just love my spyder... Sure I'm considered one of the young riders for this motorcycle, but I almost killed myself on two wheels and don't mind taking the balancing aspect out of the equation when riding. Good luck and thanks for your service!
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for any input

David Shelton
    I also thank you for your service. And welcome to SpyderLovers!

Don't be put off by the posts about the sensors, computers, etc. They are highly reliable and "issues" are not at all common. They help make the Spyder so safe and easy to ryde. The newer 1330 triple has a very long service interval and is, so far, quite reliable.

". . hit the road for months at a time . . " If you're interested in touring, one of the RT models is the way to go. Like others have said, the RT-S or Limited have factory floorboards, and there are several highway peg options from after-market accessory providers.

As to seats, I agree that you should wait till you've had a Spyder a while before you replace the seat. Besides the factory comfort seat, there's Ultimate and Corbin as well as various cushions you could use.

I hope you'll let us know what you end up deciding to do. Have fun shopping!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

All good advice above. The RT is the way to go if you want to do miles and miles of touring.

The 6 speed tranny, the 1330 triple have both made the an even better touring machine than the previous versions. I have one of each.

I have back and hip issues. Must ride three wheels because I can not support the weight of two any more. I find the OEM floorboards satisfactory. Have Seals on the 2011.

I have BRP Comfort seats on both 's. They are more firm than the squishy OEM seats. You can ride more miles per session on the Comfort seat.

Also recommend on adding accessories as the necessity is determined. They are very expensive and sometimes what I have thought would be good, turned out to be wrong.

I have put 18K on my 2014 in the last 10 months of riding (winter laydown don't count ).

Five 's total here. Over 120K in miles. I have not found reliability to be a problem.

Good luck in your hunt. And tell the dealer--no test ride is a deal breaker. You really do need to ride it in order to determine if its for you.

Let us know how the hunt goes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

On reliability....if you go to any vehicles owners forum you will read of problems. Keep in mind that they are amplified in an internet forum that we still represent only a small fraction of owners and that people who have an issue are more likely to say so than someone with no issues.

On the 14 and up.....I have a 14 and all is fine for now and I am happy with it.

Dealers; find one that will let you test ride. Both dealers that I have dealt with allowed test rides without hesitation.

I have health issues and a bad back. Sit on different models of Spyders and find the one that feels the best. I have the ST and you will find that you sit up straight which is great for bad backs and it takes weight off of your wrists. If you have a forward lean....expect back aches and wrists going numb. On most models you can get handlebar risers and different seats, different foot pegs/floor boards to get a comfortable ride. The ST feels good to my body
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

David, I am a 100% Disabled Vet also with two totaly messed up shoulders and severe neuromuscular damage. I just finished over 4,000 miles on a trip with my Spyder and it the reason I am still able to ryde. Check it out and get that test ryde. You will not be sorry. I also have a driver backrest on mine but would not recommend the BRP one. It is non adjustable.
    mtbear

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sidecars View Post
    I have an RT, and had some back problems, but just installed a Utopia Products seatback and it feels much better in the back. The RT has big floorboards so no issue there. As to a test ride, I had my trike license... and had no problem getting a ride.. and it's what sold me. Push on that.
    Bryan
    Thank you Bryan, Kentucky doesn't have a trike license, so that isn't an issue since I have my motorcycle license. Dealer was hesitant to letting me take a test ride on one. I would love to be able to keep it for at least 2 days, week would be awesome

As for the floorboards, I would love to be able to also have a rest position to stretch out my legs, instead of just always being on the floorboards. I sat on a manual and being able to slide them forward was nice, and then hanging my feet over the peg was comfortable. Right now I am trying to be able to test ride one to see if they are even a possibility for me

Spyder Garage

I agree that the semi-automatic makes it easy to ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    David, thank you for your service. Veterans have a special place in my heart, particularly disabled ones.

The highway pegs will help for sure, as will the comfort seat. The only thing I can say about the comfort seat is that the two inches you gain, is a two inch loss for your passenger if you have one.

Best of everything to you. The Spyder was a blessing for me also, as my aging body told me to get off the two wheels and get on three.

Pam
    thank you very much Pam! I miss riding to much to not try

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Thanks for your service David. The Spyder is a great choice and as far as boards and foot position, look at the Seal boards, They stretch front to back and transform the Spyder from locked foot position to stick your feet where you like. If you get the SE6 model, they take minutes to install and are super sturdy. At this point, I would NOT be considering seat options as there are many but wait till you have a chance to sit on a stock saddle for a few hours. Last, if the dealer is leery about test rides, find another. Heck, there are likely owners near you who would be happy to let you take a ride on their Spyder... you can ride mine if you are near San Antonio. I have a 2010 RT which is all my budget could handle. Anyway, welcome!
    Thank you George on all accounts, I just searched and found the seal boards. They are interesting for sure. Much appreciated

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I can't vouch from personal experience since I have none, but I've heard a number of people say steering a 'wing trike, even with a raked front end, is harder than steering the Spyder. I would think that would a major consideration with back problems. The Spyder has power steering, the Goldwing does not.

If foot positions causes issues by having to use the foot brake all the time ISCI offers an aftermarket hand brake option. There are a number of floorboard options and highway pegs from aftermarket suppliers. I'm sure you can find a combination to fit your needs.

Don't worry about reliability. Sure, they don't match the Goldwings yet, but I've had no problem nor hesitation in going on a 7000 mile trip last year and 4700 miles this year across several states. Very few Spyders have left riders sitting by the roadside. But Goldwings have also. There is no 100% guarantee against having problems.
    Glad to hear about the reliability. Some things I have read, browsing this forum, have been about the "nanny" kicking in. I will definitely look into the ISCI hand brake next, not to fond of having only a foot brake for my breaking for a few reasons. One is sometimes I lose feeling in my leg from not getting off and stretching enough. So thanks again for that info, I already searched and saved it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...Thank you for you service ......Is the dealer concerned because of you dis-ability or wether you have a motorcycle license ???......The 14 &15 - RT's have the 1330 engine and trans and so far have been better than the V-twin.....Also much, much less expensive to service.....The RT-S has floor boards although the basic is very easy to some home made ones on ( that's what I did )......and if I were you I would go to the HOME page ( see above ) and look for the AD from IMOTORSPORTS ......they are having an incredible sale on the RT model, and they will even ship it to you for free.....................good luck.......Mike
    dealer is hesitant to giving rides from what I take from them. I am really interested in the rt limited I sat on last week, I think is what it was. Imotorsports? will look in to them also, THANKS!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobgeorge View Post
    David - Thank you for your service. I'm a retired Air Force veteran myself.

As for test rides, if possible check around at other dealers. As an example, a dealer about 3 miles from my house will next let customers take test rides unless you have had your motorcycle license for two years. Yesterday I went by another dealer that is 25 miles away where I was able to test ride both the RT and F3 with no problems.

Also, I might be moving to the Lexington, KY area in the next 6 months or so. Would like to do some riding together.
    Hi bobgeorge, If I get something to ride, I will definitely show you some of my old favorite routes for all day runs. Who was the dealer 25 miles from you that gave you no trouble? LMS has there pants in a bunch because they are the be all do all dealership. He has bought out the competition in the area, and just about made him the only dealer in the Lexington area. He sells them all now, KTM, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Can Am, Arctic Cat, and Polaris.....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am a die hard Harley owner, due to health problems I am going to a Spyder, thought about the Slingshot but it's a car. My dilemma is which Spyder, I saw a 2014 RT Limited SE6 for $21,950 has 1,001 miles, it's fully loaded, GPS, Heated seats or a new 2015 RT Limited for $23,599 this is with all rebates applied, they have $3000 off till 07/31/15

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/L...ITED-114100880

http://www.dreammachinesoftexas.com/...OwnedInventory

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    2014 or 2015 RT-S SM6 is a standard shift, with foot pegs only. You can get after market floor boards from "Seal" but have to convert to a heal/toe shifter. They have some videos and some nice pictures of their product and installation. However, these boards are sturdy and big... Plenty of room to move your feet around.

The '14/'15 RT-S SE6 or Limited is the semi-auto paddle shifter on the left hand... Giving you floor boards included in the price of the semi auto option.

I am 42, 6ft tall and have a bad lower back due to multiple degenerative discs and a bad wreck in 2011. No surgery as of yet, but at times I can barely walk due to the muscle spasms and pain. Nevertheless, I ride a 2014 RT-S SM6 and have the standard seat with the pegs...I added the can am back rest and air hawk R seat pad. I struggle to get comfy on long rides but I think I have issues due to my posture, previous back issues and other reasons I can't fully explain. I didn't feel the need to spend a bunch more money on the extra 2" but maybe that too would help me get more comfy on the long rides. I also recently considered adding highway pegs to be able to stretch out the legs. Luckily I can maneuver my feet easily for shifting and stopping, but I can see the hand brake being a good add on after.

My wife has a gold wing trike (motor trike kit) and although a nice looking ride, it is noticeably different, sometimes nerve racking, shakey and odd to maneuver after riding on a Spyder. I can say that the spyder is so much easier to drive, steer, back out of parking spaces or driveways due to an actual reverse gear, very stable with the two wheels on the front end, etc. But hands down the gold wing smokes the spyder when it comes to power... That 1800 can make your skin tingle. Take the power out of the equation and the spyder by far is safer and easier to drive. And cheaper to buy....her trike was in the 30's.

Luckily I haven't had any troubles with the spyder, from a repair or mechanical standpoint. Maybe because I'm still under 3000 miles after a year. I would like to ride more, just can't due to job, kids, and other things. But when I do ride, I have a ton of fun and just love my spyder... Sure I'm considered one of the young riders for this motorcycle, but I almost killed myself on two wheels and don't mind taking the balancing aspect out of the equation when riding. Good luck and thanks for your service!
    Brian, VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. No offense, but sounds like we have a tremendous amount in common health wise on the back. When my daughter and I go shopping for food, her clothe shopping, etc... after about an hour and a half on concrete, I am DONE. Takes me a good day or three to recover. Glad to hear a first hand account between the Spyder and the Gold Wing also. About what my assumption is. The California Sidecar and gold wing i was looking at was near 38k, why the Spyder also intrigued me. Now all I need to do is get some seat time on one to make a final decision. I found this forum last night, and have to say, it has been a wealth of information, and helpful people. Another aspect I am enjoying as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    I am a die hard Harley owner, due to health problems I am going to a Spyder, thought about the Slingshot but it's a car. My dilemma is which Spyder, I saw a 2014 RT Limited SE6 for $21,950 has 1,001 miles, it's fully loaded, GPS, Heated seats or a new 2015 RT Limited for $23,599 this is with all rebates applied, they have $3000 off till 07/31/15

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/L...ITED-114100880

http://www.dreammachinesoftexas.com/...OwnedInventory
    david, after looking at imotorsports as mentioned in one of the posts above, they look to have killer pricing which includes free shipping, might end up buying from them if I do get one
    http://www.imotorsportsinc.com/

Spyder Garage

Specifically regarding the Comfort Seat, I'm in the 6'3" - 6'4" range and am very satisfied with it. I looked at it as the least expensive gamble when compared to Ultimates, Corbins, etc. I hit the jackpot! I do not use a back rest and my wife who is very trim but doesn't ride with me that much is very comfortable on the seat. Good luck.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone that has responded. Just a refresher on the brother/sisterhood of open road riding that I miss so much. I have looked up and saved all the links. The ISCI hand brake will definitely be a first add on if I get one. I am not enthused to have only a foot brake. I have also looked at the variety of boards and pegs offered by ISCI, Rivco, and others as I find them.

I will be talking to other dealers if I can't get a test ride from my local dealer. Just irritating when one dealer has the lock on an area and I have to drive an hour and a half to another dealer to see if I can ride there's. Again, thank you all.

David Shelton