Thread: "darting" issue

Spyder Garage

Default "darting" issue

I recently purchased a 2015 Spyder RTL and at 700+ miles I am still having darting issues. I came from a Roadsmith Trike which handled great! I have adjusted the air pressure from a low of 15psi to high of 20psi. I am now at 18psi. I have purchased and installed Doc's spring stiffeners (using one on each side.) First question, would the additional tensioner further reduce the darting?
    Second question, I do plan on adding the new sway bar as suggested on this site, but will that reduce the darting?
    Third question besides the spring stiffeners, sway bar, loosening my grip on the handlebars and adjusting the front air pressure, is the any other suggestions for improving the steering on the spyder?

I appreciated your advice and would like to point out that with the aid of this website, I knew more about the spyder than many of the sales people that I encountered while shopping for my new baby.

David J.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LASER ALIGNMENT! The wheels are not aligned from the factory.

Spyder Garage

Myself, I would go back to stock and get it aligned if your in the ballpark of average sized rider and passenger. Sounds more toe in related than spring rate, but they do work together.

PK

Spyder Garage

First, How tight are you gripping the handlebars? Spyders react to tight grips by darting. Don't try to correct for everything it does, relax your grip, and see if it does better. Most of us have had the same thing suggested at the start, especially coming from 2 wheels or a standard trike.

john

Spyder Garage

PK and John both speak the truth!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I am thinking a combination of grip and perhaps tire alignment.

Recently had both 's aligned. They track so well now that they actually felt "loose" at first. Grabbing the bars hard only accentuated the situation.

It has taken me about a hundred miles to "re-learn" steering for both of us.

Both 's now track effortlessly down the highway. Less fatigue and "fighting" the handlebars.

We drove in some very high wind yesterday. Less was better than grabbing the bars hard.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

+2 on the laser alignment. We just had both of ours aligned and it made a huge difference. Laser align, not BRP aligned. There is a big difference between the two.

Spyder Garage

Alignment, or, grip. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

trust us..the grip is the main reason. You have a dynamic power steering unit that is quite sensative and though you may not feel it ryding it will help you at the first twich in either direction hence the darting. You may think your relaxed but your instincts will tighten the grip before you know it. Try some wide open spaces to let go of the bars and get a feel of how well they do and gain confidence. Have seen it many times and getting used to it is tough. Coming from a trike is a bit tougher...practice, the sway bar and the alignment will help as well, alot if your unit is out of whack...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Best way to relax grip is not to wrap your fingers around the grips

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try bringing your knees in against the tank, and loosen up your grip.
    My reasoning: It's easy to get yourself bumped about while riding. If you're getting moved from side to side, you may be adding unwanted steering input to the bars...
    If that doesn't work: a laser alignment sure will!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your input. I've read about laser alignment, I don't know why I didn't think about. As for hugging the tank with my knees, I prefer to use my highway pegs for a brace when steering. On a trike I would push the opposite handlebar during a turn, I had to learn that on the Spyder I must pull lightly on the inside bar to make my turn. The other hand only rest on the handlebar.

Any advice about what type of laser alignment? Are there different types of laser alignment? I guess I will have to either go to Lexington, KY or Louisville, KY or Nashville, TN. Anyone have a suggestion?

Once again, THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

David J.

Spyder Garage

Anyone with Rolo system

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check here to find a dealer. http://spydercomfort.com/

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)