Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

There's a lot of disabled riders out there, me being one of them. I'd sure like to see Spyder consider these riders as they design new models. There a few very simple things like a factory hand brake and a parking park control which could be relocated and made a hand operated brake. Make the fuel cap accessible without having to get off and fight with a seat to get to it.
    I know a lot of disabled riders are staying on trikes for these reasons and the changes would not take away from everyday rider........ Just my thoughts

Jim

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default INTERESTING INFO

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    One needs to look at this from the reality of BRP. They will A) build what they are capable of building at a profit, and B) build a unit that overcomes buyers objections.

This is why the slower than expected popularity of the F3 is somewhat of a mystery. BRP surveyed and asked those who were not buying a Spyder why not, what would need to change to do so, what their objections were, and the F3 really did address the majority of those objections. It should be a home run, but has not yet hit that status. Bikers wanted to see the engine, get rid of the plastic, to sit with their feet out in front of them, project a muscular image that looked less like a snowmobile or watercraft, have it feel more stable and less like you were going to fall off going around a corner. The F3 does all that.

What can BRP build at a profit? The 900 ACE engine now used in sleds and Spark watercraft would be easy, 90 HP, wide torque band, easy on fuel, lower cost.......but is this something that people would buy? Is cost truly an objection to buying a Spyder? Is it riding position? Is it the image it projects? Is it the way it feels, handles, and rides? Is it DQR (durability, quality, reliability)?

We all own Spyders so we are not really the ones to chime in on this. BRP needs to know how to sell Spyders to those owning 2-wheel bikes, or those considering buying a 2-wheel bike. Will the majority of Spyder owners be former 2-wheel riders, or will they be people who like the thought of 2-wheels but dislike the safety of them? These are the tough questions when you change the paradigm of what is the norm and introduce something so different. Nobody really knows what they want......maybe there is no single silver bullet, just a bunch of smaller nuggets to be found?

The fact of the matter is the RT line is the biggest seller by a long ways. Appeals to an aging demographic with plenty of disposable income. New models are a calculated risk, a new RT is always going to sell. So, how many years between new versions? 3-4-5? Last new one was how long ago?
    ....As usual you seem to have your finger on the pulse with your comments......On the survey to find out what people want thing....the a problem in this area is people often give their opinion on what they think sounds attractive , however they may not be people who intend to actually spend any MONEY on the PRODUCT.......even if you preface the survey with " HOW LIKELY ARE YOU, TO BUY THIS PRODUCT ", people mis-lead ( LIE ) all the time..........Personally, I think BRP will make lots of money with the F-3......When the Spyder was introduced it exactly wasn't a HIT, numbers wise. But I think it's popularity is growing and will continue to do so.........I do think BRP is really RE-MISS and missing out on a lot of SALES because they don't offer a HANDBRAKE. There are a lot of Physically challenged people who would love to be able to try the Spyder or continue motorcycling and their options are few.......Mass production brings the manufacturing costs way down, and I think they would sell this option to way more than ONLY PEOPLE WHO MUST HAVE THEM..........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Throw another on the pile.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default So......

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    The 2016 Slingshots are already being unloaded at the dealerships...........
    I guess that means anyone with a 2015 Slingshot now just has a used car!
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 07-22-2015 at 09:33 AM.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default sledmaster

Based on someone visiting spyderlovers.com to see what it is all about, I believe they are left with an impression of a vehicle based on an aging population with various models offered to match their physical abilities. All you have to do is visit one day, and listen to all the aches, and pains, and all the complaints based on their age. That is my take on it. So, you won't see any big age shift anytime soon, or any shifting of those already on 2 wheels that don't have much in the way of physical complaints.

Also, a few years back, BRP tried to overcome their image of spyders for an aging population with a video shown a younger demographic on spyders. And, it was an excellent video; but, I don't think it helped that much. JMO
    Last edited by wyliec; 07-22-2015 at 09:49 AM.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ahhh

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    From a marketing standpoint, this makes all the sense in the world . After all, I was 65 when I switched from two wheels to the Spyder. Of all the bikes I've owned, I've never had any reason to choose Harley, but the principal is the same. I would not be a bit surprised if Can Am has a presence there.

Pam
    You shouldn't be as Lamont just told us he was going to be there with BRP for the announcement and leading a Ryde from the demo area on Saturday!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimsturges View Post
    There's a lot of disabled riders out there, me being one of them. I'd sure like to see Spyder consider these riders as they design new models. There a few very simple things like a factory hand brake and a parking park control which could be relocated and made a hand operated brake. Make the fuel cap accessible without having to get off and fight with a seat to get to it.
    I know a lot of disabled riders are staying on trikes for these reasons and the changes would not take away from everyday rider........ Just my thoughts

Jim
    Even without disabilities I'd like a factory hand brake. I will say the F3 has the gas cap and electric (hand) parking brake control you're looking for. Minor thing for me but it's much nicer than the foot pedal and hidden gas cap. I am surprised the F3 doesn't sell better as it's a massive improvement over the RS (at least by me).

Spyder Garage

I still wonder why no one thinks of the possibility of 2 wheels. I guess I'm alone on this thought.

Sempert out,
    Sempyder out,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sempyder View Post
    I still wonder why no one thinks of the possibility of 2 wheels. I guess I'm alone on this thought.

Sempert out,
    Can-AM did have two wheelers back many years ago. Anything is possible.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGTL View Post
    When we were at Spyderfest, one of the Can Am directors (he was in the picture for the delivery ceremony) and a photographer were out walking around the parking lot taking pictures and asking owners questions about their Spyders. He said that BRP was looking to pull their new model year announcements (and initial deliveries!!) earlier in the year, more in line with what the car manufacturers do. So this appears to be in line with that statement. I suspect they realized that they can get more excitement for the new models if they're first available at some other time than the dead of winter in the northern tier states and Canada. I'm looking forward the announcement!
    That makes sense to me. They have always announced after the end of the current riding season. Then there is this long wait until Spring before many dealers get the new models in and start selling them. By then, much of the excitement can wan.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Can-AM did have two wheelers back many years ago. Anything is possible.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Based on someone visiting spyderlovers.com to see what it is all about, I believe they are left with an impression of a vehicle based on an aging population with various models offered to match their physical abilities. All you have to do is visit one day, and listen to all the aches, and pains, and all the complaints based on their age. That is my take on it. So, you won't see any big age shift anytime soon, or any shifting of those already on 2 wheels that don't have much in the way of physical complaints.
    This, X 1000.

Popular perception of the Spyder-- judged by anecdote in person and on-line, but PLENTY of anecdotes over the years-- is that the typical Spyder owner is one of the following:

1. Unwilling to ride a motorcycle due to fear: "Sorry you miss out because you're too scared, you should have bought a Miata."
    2. Unwilling to ride a motorcycle due to age: "Sorry you had to give up riding, old man-- now let me pass."
    3. Unable to ride a motorcycle due to infirmity / disability: "Sorry you can't hold up two wheels, but here's a pat on the head, congrats on keeping out there on the road!"

To BRP's credit, they've spent years and many, MANY marketing dollars attempting to portray the Spyder as a different kind of vehicle. That whole "roadster" word that by and large only the marketing drones repeat. Like those who keep trying to make "fetch" happen, it's never caught on.

The challenge with the Spyder is how to make it something cool and desirable to an audience of trendsetters, versus something you "settle" for because of those three reasons above. At this point, I'm unsure the Spyder will EVER break away from the reputation it established for itself, through no fault of its own, that it's just not seen as either cool enough or unique enough to be a first choice for most (not all, but most-- enough) riders.

I know I get a lot of flak for always being the "LEANER!" guy around these parts, but honestly, I don't care if the Spyder ever leans-- what I *do* care about is that the Spyder needs to *differentiate* itself in a way that contradicts those three stereotypes above. People have to want to buy a Spyder, not just settle for one. The marketplace has to see that there are riders who want to buy a Spyder because it's a Spyder, i.e. it brings them a unique riding experience that's EQUALLY desirable as that afforded by two- or four-wheels.

After all, that's my opinion of my Spyder: I'm not part of those three stereotypes, but I love my Spyder *because it's a Spyder*, not because it's the best compromise I could make. My Spyder does things I can't do in a car, it does things I can't do on my motorcycle, and I love it for those reasons. But I fear I'm damn rare, especially judging by the reaction of people who find out that *I* ride a Spyder ("But, you know how to ride two wheels, why would you want three?"; "You don't look like you're hurt, do you have some kind of leg problem?"; etc., etc.)

Thus, the leaner-- or the hybrid, or the electric, or a dual-sport, or *something* that can make the Spyder stand out from the crowd... that's the path to get out of the three stereotypes and grow the market.

Or, not.
    Last edited by daveinva; 07-22-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    This, X 1000.

Popular perception of the Spyder-- judged by anecdote in person and on-line, but PLENTY of anecdotes over the years-- is that the typical Spyder owner is one of the following:

1. Unwilling to ride a motorcycle due to fear: "Sorry you miss out because you're too scared, you should have bought a Miata."
    2. Unwilling to ride a motorcycle due to age: "Sorry you had to give up riding, old man-- now let me pass."
    3. Unable to ride a motorcycle due to infirmity / disability: "Sorry you can't hold up two wheels, but here's a pat on the head, congrats on keeping out there on the road!"

To BRP's credit, they've spent years and many, MANY marketing dollars attempting to portray the Spyder as a different kind of vehicle. That whole "roadster" word that by and large only the marketing drones repeat. Like those who keep trying to make "fetch" happen, it's never caught on.

The challenge with the Spyder is how to make it something cool and desirable to an audience of trendsetters, versus something you "settle" for because of those three reasons above. At this point, I'm unsure the Spyder will EVER break away from the reputation it established for itself, through no fault of its own, that it's just not seen as either cool enough or unique enough to be a first choice for most (not all, but most-- enough) riders.

I know I get a lot of flak for always being the "LEANER!" guy around these parts, but honestly, I don't care if the Spyder ever leans-- what I *do* care about is that the Spyder needs to *differentiate* itself in a way that contradicts those three stereotypes above. People have to want to buy a Spyder, not just settle for one. The marketplace has to see that there are riders who want to buy a Spyder because it's a Spyder, i.e. it brings them a unique riding experience that's EQUALLY desirable as that afforded by two- or four-wheels.

After all, that's my opinion of my Spyder: I'm not part of those three stereotypes, but I love my Spyder *because it's a Spyder*, not because it's the best compromise I could make. My Spyder does things I can't do in a car, it does things I can't do on my motorcycle, and I love it for those reasons. But I fear I'm damn rare, especially judging by the reaction of people who find out that *I* ride a Spyder ("But, you know how to ride two wheels, why would you want three?"; "You don't look like you're hurt, do you have some kind of leg problem?"; etc., etc.)

Thus, the leaner-- or the hybrid, or the electric, or a dual-sport, or *something* that can make the Spyder stand out from the crowd... that's the path to get out of the three stereotypes and grow the market.

Or, not.
    I Do Not agree with Your assessment- To Me the Spyder IS NOT a motorcycle- Its a Roadster and One "Hell Of a Fun Ride!"
    If I were 26 Instead of 66 I would still choose the Spyder Because of the Performance and Safety Factor Combination as well as Multiple season riding without worry.
    As you can see I could care less what others think and I think many agree.
    Problem with the Spyder and young people is the Cost?????
    A Light, Inexpensive Model with the 90 HP 3 Cylinder ACE engine would generate a Lot of Interest in young people who Do Not have $19-$27,000?????

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

​I agree!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default marketing

The spyder IS great, but so are other bikes. It's about choice, and marketing is meant to drive choice.
    Words like excitement, evolution, etc are good but..
    Good marketing asks "what's missing" and addresses it - eg the great F3 response.

So is the real question "what's still missing?"
    Some possible answers -
    - Good Dealers
    - Responsive Dealers
    - Spyders which have had LASER alignments before demo ride or sale -- how many potential buyers have been lost since 2008 by this unforgivable LACK? and YES that means that every Spyder dealer HAS TO have the laser alignment system, else 'no dealer authority'.
    - More BRP transparency and proactivity re known issues - leaving it to spyderlovers and other forums while dealers know nothing and say 'they all do that' to everything simply leads to a lot of dissatisfied buyers - and word-of-mouth is the best marketing tool known.

My conclusion - new models are great, some fixes are easy (eg tri-axis and/or hand brake as factory options, at minimal additional cost, ie cost of item WITHOUT additional labor cost if ordered new), but after-sales support and accurate information will do much more for ongoing sales and market penetration.

I absolutely love my Spyder and enjoy riding immensely, and on our roads safety outweighs the wonderful feeling of leaning into a curve on 2 wheels - the Spyder is a blast and it's still fun and a challenge to take a bend "just right".
    BUT if I'd judged the Spyder on the first test ride (a non-aligned model) I would simply have walked (run?) away.
    It wasn't until a laser alignment on my 09 RS that riding the spyder began to become natural - it was the first and essential tweak on my (bought-used) ST.

This is not a new comment, but is one which BRP Marketing needs to address before any of their other initiatives will result in the sales results they seek.

PS We have now found a good, knowledgeable, informative and responsive dealer, and the difference in our Spyder-riding experience cannot be over-estimated. What a wonderful difference!

Spyder Garage

Default Lamont showed up

Quote Originally Posted by yamahog View Post
    Just saw this posted can anyone verify this? Hope link works.

https://www.facebook.com/21342367524...type=1&theater
    at the 3 Wheeler Rally in Deadwood with Spyder Pops. I was told Lamont had been sent and was to go on to Sturgis to find suitable accomodations. Not told this by Lamont to be sure.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

This, X 1000.

Or, not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I Do Not agree with Your assessment- To Me the Spyder IS NOT a motorcycle- Its a Roadster and One "Hell Of a Fun Ride!"
    If I were 26 Instead of 66 I would still choose the Spyder Because of the Performance and Safety Factor Combination as well as Multiple season riding without worry.
    As you can see I could care less what others think and I think many agree.
    Problem with the Spyder and young people is the Cost?????
    A Light, Inexpensive Model with the 90 HP 3 Cylinder ACE engine would generate a Lot of Interest in young people who Do Not have $19-$27,000?????
    Sarge707,

You and others that could care less has nothing to do with growing the market; I believe that was the whole point behind daveinva's post, growing the market. There are plenty of young people in their 20's and 30's (and 40's if you want to call that young) who have their own businesses, and those that don't are probably pulling in more per year than most of the older members on here. I guess when you hear the words young people, you're only considering those that work at McDonalds, Walmart, etc. This is just a wild guess; but, I'd say daveinva has not hit 40 yet, and he has his toys. Sorry, daveinva, if I'm wrong.

One more thing; you don't need $19,000-$27,000. You just need to be able to borrow it.
    Last edited by wyliec; 07-22-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wow! we are off topic yikes!!!

Sempert out,
    Sempyder out,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This, X 1000.

Or, not.

This is an EXCELLENT post and I agree with it 100%. I ride a Spyder because I choose too and I find it more fun than 2 wheels. I meet plenty of people however that question me as to why I ride a Spyder at such a young age. I'm young enough to know what movie this (trying to make "fetch" happen) came from and who said it They assume one of the 3 choices you have above. When I'm out and about on the Spyder and someone approaches me to ask questions they are thinking one of two things. This thing is really cool or this thing is stupid. For me personally I'd say more people comment to the effect that its really stupid than really cool. I personally don't care what they think but whatever it is they do think you can tell they strongly feel that way. I don't know how to change the way people think especially when they feel strongly about it. I'm not sure any amount of marketing can do that?

As for the comment about the Spyder being too expensive for younger riders. That may be partially true but there are plenty of 20-40 yr olds that have expensive toys and they aren't buying Spyders. My personal opinion is one of looks and styling. What the Spyder does it does pretty well so the design in terms of function is well thought out. No one and I mean no one 20-40 is going to by and RT. They could be priced at $5K and a 20-40 yr old isn't going to buy one. Why....well cause it looks like an RT. The RS styling appeals to a younger crowd more I think but still it's to clean, to plasticy, too modern (even for a sport bike). The F3 look is pretty targeted to the cruiser crowd and that would appeal to some 20-40 yr olds but again its too plasticy. I mean when do you see a Victory or a Harley or an Indian or a metric cruiser bike sporting a whole lot of plastic covering?

The F3 was a step in the right direction to remove some of the plastic but still why not go further (for the RS please) and let the mechanicals show. Why are the A-arms made of metal and covered with plastic? Why is the tank made of metal and then covered with plastic? Why are the handlebars plastic? Rather than cover up everything with a plastic wraper make the "stuff" underneath nice enough to show on their own. Remove the ridiculous rear fender (which again is stamped metal with a plastic covering). Style it Ducatti like, young, lean, simple, industrial and you might pull that 20-40 demographic?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone seen the cars some are driving with the giant wheels on them that cost thousands of dollars?? Point is if they want it thy will buy it! Includes the Spyder..

Anyway looks like the topic turned south again from the original post..Carry on!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FWIW, as another "leaner" I bought our RS after much resistance. I did not want to be caught on a Trike, for fear of ridicule and being the slow one of the bunch. After my post injury recovery, I was jonesing for two wheels but could not quite manage it at the time. I reluctantly rode an RT just to get out in the wind. Well, the luggage capacity and comfort changed my mind.

Still, I wasn't looking to the Spyder as a replacement for two wheels. I (still) love motorcycles too much to ever give them up. The RS with suitable Givi bags became our long distance 2-up tourer - because I'd rather have the Spyder than be caught on an old man's Goldwing or full bagger cruiser. It's also there as the backup vehicle for when the wife has vertigo issues and can't balance on her bike.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have strayed a bit off ot the beaten path...
    If there is an announcement at Sturgis (which there will be!), in an attempt to grow in the marketplace; what message should be sent?
    Since our bikes are obviously less effort to hold up at stoplights; do you market to the aged and infirm?
    Not likely!
    Since the unique size and lighting makes them more of a presence on the road; do you use Safety as a selling point?
    Possibly!
    Since they are probably an easier bike for a Newbie to get on and feel comfortable; do you market to the folks who are curious about riding, but haven't yet taken the giant leap?
    Perhaps!

This will all depend upon how BRP is planning to grow their market share in the future. Does anyone have any ideas as to what they're bringing to South Dakota to unveil????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    We have strayed a bit off ot the beaten path...
    If there is an announcement at Sturgis (which there will be!), in an attempt to grow in the marketplace; what message should be sent?
    Since our bikes are obviously less effort to hold up at stoplights; do you market to the aged and infirm?
    Not likely!
    Since the unique size and lighting makes them more of a presence on the road; do you use Safety as a selling point?
    Possibly!
    Since they are probably an easier bike for a Newbie to get on and feel comfortable; do you market to the folks who are curious about riding, but haven't yet taken the giant leap?
    Perhaps!

This will all depend upon how BRP is planning to grow their market share in the future. Does anyone have any ideas as to what they're bringing to South Dakota to unveil????
    This is funny. sledmaster made a comment to which I responded. You felt sledmaster made a good point; now, you're saying we're off topic. I'll post what I want. If someone doesn't like, they can cry to Lamont.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Off-topic or not; they were still good points.
    And yes; we HAVE strayed from the question of whether or not BRP is making an announcement at Sturgis. Since they are; we have just found other topics to discuss...

Spyder Garage

My granddaughter rides with me as much as she can. Her first love is the Spyder. Enough that she claims its hers. Her father keeps telling her that when it is time to get her license she has to take it on a regular two wheeled bike. She said she will not be riding two wheels so why should she have to. At 11 she just earned her second set of broken wings which has not slowed her down any. I'm starting to teach her to drive the Spyder. The RT-S is her favorite. She has not shown any interest in the F3. More kids need to be exposed to Spyders. I have 5 plus kids in the trailer park I live in that ride around the park with me. I have no problem with them. They sit there and enjoy the ride, no antsy pants just enjoyment.