Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thermosstat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Jerry, just sent you a PM but yes, that's the part. Not 100% sure they are interchangeable since I've never done one and don't know anyone who has... Yet.... Lol. Good luck and keep us posted on how it all works out.

Spyder Garage

Hi DrewNJ,

Re: just sent you a PM

I just PM'd back at you.

Yes, I will keep everyone posted on what, if anything, happens.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I am in the midst of a serious heat issue on my 2010 RT. Case in discussion with BRP and not sure where it is for sure yet.
    The RT ran three to four bars at all times, summer and winter (I am a year around rider). then about the end of last year it started running a lot hotter and then got to touch the side panel the frame under the seat or the gas tank. Long story form there to now and I said, not sure what BPR is going to do.

The tech had a different idea about the over heat. He wondered if those bad hoses were contributing a super lean, very hot cylinder. then I read somewhere about a ECM (??) electrical redo of some kind. Anybody got any ideas.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Hi Oldmanzues,

Re: The RT ran three to four bars at all times, summer and winter (I am a year around rider). then about the end of last year it started running a lot hotter

If you want to consider installing a lower rated thermostat look here ( and I do NOT know if they will fit at this time ):

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...?idproduct=753

I am only offering this info for you to consider, I am not endorsing do it.

Jerry Baumchen

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi folks,

Re: Yes, I will keep everyone posted on what, if anything, happens.

I am going to need some coolant once the stat gets here. How much cooling liquid does the '08 Spyder take? I would guess that maybe I'll be draining almost all of it out while doing the stat changeover.

Thanks to all you shade tree mechanics in advance,

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi to all of you shade tree mechanics out there,

My Spyder seems to love 5 bars on the temp guage. Today ( a warm 86* ) it got to 6 bars.

Is there a lower temp thermostat that can be put in to keep it running cooler?

Jerry Baumchen
    Too lazy to look it up somewhere
    When was your coolant changed. If it's over 2 years, change it. I change my own and I use Prestone premixed 50/50 and I add 5 ounces of Redline Water Wetter to the 1 gallon 50/50 premixed . My Spyder RS-S SE5 runs less 5 bars in the hottest weather. If your still have a problem PM me.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,

Re: If your still have a problem PM me.

No problems yet as I have yet to start this effort.

I did just PM you for some more specific info,

Thanks,

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi folks,

Re: No problems yet as I have yet to start this effort.

Well, an update. The 75* C thermostat came in but it would not fit. The opening that is for the hose from the engine to the stat is smaller on the Aprilia stat; ~ 25 mm for the BRP stat vs 18 mm for the Aprilia stat. I could do some Rube Goldberg reworking to get it to fit but the concern is that the smaller opening would reduce the coolant flow; and that is the wrong way to go to reduce the temps. Plus, that would be one more thing that would go wrong somewhere a couple of 100 miles from home.

So, I ended up just changing out the coolant ( Thanks DrewNJ ) and I will be returning the parts.

I doubt that I will spend anymore time on this effort; unless something new happens.

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Damn....that sucks. So close!!!

Just thinking out loud. .....if the smaller end is on the bypass side from the motor the size wouldn't make much difference, as once the stat sees the temp it's going to open. As long as the radiator/engine sides are the same I'd think it would be good????

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 08-05-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi DrewNJ,

Re: ....that sucks. So close!!!

Yup. If I were 40 yrs younger I would had a go at it. But, not anymore; I want to avoid potential problems, not create them.

It was tempting but a motorcycle broken down on the side of the road is a different animal than a car broken down on the side of the road.

BTDT

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I actually did go to NAPA auto parts and bought a short section of rubber hose to increase the OD on that opening so my Spyder hose would fit. I eventually decided that it was just too Rube Goldberg for me.

2008 GS SE-5