Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Recall Pictures

My 2013 RT is back from the shop after the recall. Picked it up today. I'm not going to repeat what everyone else has reported about the improvements for the heat - except to say that what everyone else said is all true.

I do want to share a few pictures, however, of the new scoop from different angles. I really like the design. I'm also showing these as attachments to this message so that reader can click on the thumbnails and blow them up.

Notice in the picture above, you also get a good view of BajaRon's shock adjustor. (Love this mod.)

The tech that worked on mine said this was the third one he's done, and he's got it down to four hours now (including changing out the spark plugs and spark plug wires, which I requested). He says it get's easier each time he does one. He really did a nice job on mine.

The pictures below, show a new feature that I haven't seen mentioned before or shown in pictures. Notice the large gap that now appears between the forward side panel and the upper side panel, where the arrow is pointing. This new gap acts as a new "third vent" (above the original upper and lower vents), on each side, for the radiator heat. The gap is created by the removal of the acoustic panels that they took out as part of the recall. If you put your hand behind that gap while riding, you can feel warm air, but it's not particularly hot. The combination of this "new vent" and the new scoops is probably what results in the lower "right foot heat" that folks are reporting. (And the large scoops, of course, throw a lot more air into the engine compartment now.)

Also notice in the second picture (showing the side panel removed) how much more open space there is now behind the radiator. (The acoustic panel was mostly behind and above this area, as shown in this link, but it did block air to the engine forcing more radiator heat out the "hell hole"; and the forward edge of it did close off the gap mentioned above.) This space being opened up is what allows the new scoops to work so well. (The honey-comb grill you see there is not from the 2014 RT, but a thinner one made especially for the 2013 by ESI Cycle Products.) By the way, I do NOT notice any more engine noise with the acoustic panels gone, but my Spyder was already a little louder because I'd previously removed the cat.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-19-2015 at 08:26 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I agree with you. I don't mind the scoops on my Spyder at all. I also agree that they did a good job with the the design and the installation.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks..!!

great pictures and write up. Have seen many asking here and other places...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'll preface the following statement by saying I love my RT even more now since having the update done and I think the new vents look great.
    I truly believe BRP have hit a home run in rectifying the heat issues the majority of 2013 RT owners experienced.
    Yes I have 1 tiny "but" - the caps that cover the screws that retain the upper panel hidden in the front section of the new vents are crap. Once they have been removed a couple of times there's no way they want to stay in place. Yes I realise there are a couple of clip thingies on the back of the caps and one is even marked with an "L" (presuming for left ??) and the caps need to go in in a certain orientation but mine now sit in a spares container I have.
    Minor I know and unless you actually know what your looking for the lack of caps really won't even be noticed.

Regards
    Kenn

Registered Users ScreaminMeanie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for posting the photos!

I'm about to have the recall work done on mine, and I've been wondering what the changes looked like. I like the way it looks -- probably better than the OEM look, to be honest.

Spyder Garage

Default Me too

Kenn,

I'm glad you were able to get the recall work done down in Queensland without too much delay. I too love my 2013 RT even better now with the heat problem gone. I've also wrapped the headers, added a little reflective heat tape in strategic places, and removed the cat, which Spyder owners of any model or year can do, if they are bothered by heat.

I know I may be a bit biased, but I truly believe that the 2013 RT has now surpassed the 2012 model as being the best RT ever made with the 998 engine.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-17-2015 at 09:34 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

This is the same color as my bike and I have been wondering how the scoops would look on it. Not as bad as I was afraid of. Thanks for posting the pics.

Spyder Garage

There was a little discussion between myself and another poster in a different thread about the gap between panels. He noticed it I did not until he pointed it out. With the 2014 grille in I have very little leg heat. The upper honeycomb is deep enough that it actually redirects the upper hole air outward. They look good on you bike too.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Dave. I'm going to ride it this way for a while, and see if I still need the 2014 grill, which also covers the lower vent, as you've told me. I can always pick it up later, if needed. Even before the recall, I haven't been bothered too much with the "right ankle heat", except when I put my feet up on the highway pegs. I don't think the 2014 grill will help there all that much, as the problem then is the upper vent is right next to my leg.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KennW View Post
    I'll preface the following statement by saying I love my RT even more now since having the update done and I think the new vents look great.
    I truly believe BRP have hit a home run in rectifying the heat issues the majority of 2013 RT owners experienced.
    Yes I have 1 tiny "but" - the caps that cover the screws that retain the upper panel hidden in the front section of the new vents are crap. Once they have been removed a couple of times there's no way they want to stay in place. Yes I realise there are a couple of clip thingies on the back of the caps and one is even marked with an "L" (presuming for left ??) and the caps need to go in in a certain orientation but mine now sit in a spares container I have.
    Minor I know and unless you actually know what your looking for the lack of caps really won't even be noticed.

Regards
    Kenn
    They are a pain to get back in properly.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on now having the "Best of the 998s"!
    Your explanation of how the removal of the acoustic panels has opened up a new venting point, was an "eye-opener" for me; thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pictures. I got to see one up close and personal when our visitors from the lower 48 were here. Saw a 2013 torn down for an oil change and looked over the parts during the oil change.

It looks well thought out and seems to be working as advertised.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yep, I agree.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rob,
    I got your PM...
    Let me know if you've got a date picked out yet, and I'll trot it past the Missus.
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    on now having the "Best of the 998s"!
    Your explanation of how the removal of the acoustic panels has opened up a new venting point, was an "eye-opener" for me; thanks!
    Yeah, I was looking at that in more detail as I rode today. The "gap" is aimed sort of straight out, rather than back at the rider, so the rider or passenger feel no effect from it. Also not as much air comes out there, as out the lower vents, which are more directly lined up with the radiator fans. Still, every little bit helps.

The overall effect of the entire recall, as others have said, is a dramatic improvement to the point where heat of any kind is not really an issue anymore.

(Responded to your message above in PM section.)
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Can you get these scoops for a 2014?

Sent from my LG-V496 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Recall Pictures

Got mine done last week. Dose any one know about BRP reinvesment for lower wind deflectors ? I had up graded to the adjustable crome one. Now they are in a box in the garage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cedarmeadow View Post
    Got mine done last week. Dose any one know about BRP reinvesment for lower wind deflectors ? I had up graded to the adjustable crome one. Now they are in a box in the garage.
    I had the OEM Adjustable Air Deflectors and was given a workshop credit for exactly what they cost me.
    Certainly no complaints from me on that deal but you have to ask for the rebate as it sure isn't offered up front.

Regards
    Kenn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    (Responded to your message above in PM section.)
    In the works...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cedarmeadow View Post
    As BRP stated earlier in this forum (in the thread where they announced the recall) , they will reimburse you the entire cost of the wind deflector's plus partial cost for other work you previously paid for certain procedures to remedy the heat problems.

The rebate is given via a credit to your dealer which you can then spend at any future time. Your dealer has to submit your claim to BRP. I got a credit of about $500 back, but I had spent more than $2000 for prior heat-related issues.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-19-2015 at 02:25 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 limited

Rob love the pictures. It is the same color as my 2013 RT Limited. I bought it with 4000 miles on it and some nice added features.
    Ed

Spyder Garage

Rob I meant to say 2012 RT Limited. Will post some pictures when I learn how on my new MAC which is driving me crazy.

Ed

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I love the lava bronze color with the tan saddle. They only produced that color in 2012 and 2013, and the fact that they don't make it anymore makes our Spyders unique.

Welcome to the Spyderlovers forum!
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-19-2015 at 08:19 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by KennW View Post
    I had the OEM Adjustable Air Deflectors and was given a workshop credit for exactly what they cost me.
    Certainly no complaints from me on that deal but you have to ask for the rebate as it sure isn't offered up front.

Regards
    Kenn
    Did the dealer have to keep the adjustable wings for you to get credit?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y-Ryder View Post
    Did the dealer have to keep the adjustable wings for you to get credit?
    Yes. Why would they give you money for something you bought and kept that could be used on other models? You can't sell them for full price used but you can get MSRP credit for them.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment