Spyder Garage

Default Baker Built Belt Tensioner

New to the forum since we took delivery of our 2015 RT Limited a little over a week ago. After 41 years of two-wheel riding, I decided to try three-wheel riding and both me and my wife really like it.

One of the things I found to be a problem is the drive belt vibration in the 71-76 mph zone. I searched the forum and found numerous post regarding the SmoothSpyder and Baker Built tensioners. I am considering the Baker Built tensioner. I was just wondering if anyone has a Baker Built tensioner with a lot of miles on it? I am looking for info regarding its longevity and reliability. And if there is any wear on the bracket that is attached to the shock mount (aluminum bracket up against a steel shock mount).

I asked my dealer about the tensioners and his comment was that he has seen a few come into the dealership on bikes when they get serviced, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of them coming in.

BTW, the amount of information available to a newbie in this forum is fabulous.

Thanks

Gunner

Spyder Garage

They make great products. I haven't needed any but have not heard of any complaints. Welcome to the zoo!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Good question

I'd like to hear some responses myself.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    New to the forum since we took delivery of our 2015 RT Limited a little over a week ago. After 41 years of two-wheel riding, I decided to try three-wheel riding and both me and my wife really like it.

One of the things I found to be a problem is the drive belt vibration in the 71-76 mph zone. I searched the forum and found numerous post regarding the SmoothSpyder and Baker Built tensioners. I am considering the Baker Built tensioner. I was just wondering if anyone has a Baker Built tensioner with a lot of miles on it? I am looking for info regarding its longevity and reliability. And if there is any wear on the bracket that is attached to the shock mount (aluminum bracket up against a steel shock mount).

I asked my dealer about the tensioners and his comment was that he has seen a few come into the dealership on bikes when they get serviced, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of them coming in.

BTW, the amount of information available to a newbie in this forum is fabulous.

Thanks

Gunner
    sounds like belt is not adjusted properly. mine dosent make a noise or i ryde too fast to hear..

Spyder Garage

Gunner3773, welcome to SpyderLovers. I am looking to go with the Baker tensioner also. The F3 has the same problem. If you can master the search function you can find answers to just about every question in the book.
    Enjoy your Spyder.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the Baker-Built tensioner. About 1,000 mi since installation. No problems. On 2014 RT
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

- I'm interested too!

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

They are good tensioners. I got the smoothspyder way before baker builts were mentioned. I have had it for 3 years and had no issues. This to attest to its effectiveness only. Smoothspyders are all steel so don't know about the durability of the aluminum..

Welcome to the spyder world and this most informative site..if we stay on track... congrats on your new ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The baker uses a shock that will eventually need replacing. The smooth Spyder is a superior design and build in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Do the tensioners have to be removed when tensioning or adjusting the tracking of the drive belt?

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a tensioner on my 2014 RT not the Baker and it does nothing.I have it set on the high side and still get the same 70-80 mph vibration.Dealer checked belt and they said its within specs and still had the vibration.I purchased the tensioner and set it high set it low set it in the middle and still have the vibration

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Default belt tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    They are good tensioners. I got the smoothspyder way before baker builts were mentioned. I have had it for 3 years and had no issues. This to attest to its effectiveness only. Smoothspyders are all steel so don't know about the durability of the aluminum..

Welcome to the spyder world and this most informative site..if we stay on track... congrats on your new .
    Gene: where can A STEEL tensioner like yours be purchased? Thank you

Spyder Garage

The one I have is from Smoothspyder.com one of the sponsors here. Check the home page.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The baker uses a shock that will eventually need replacing. The smooth Spyder is a superior design and build in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    100% agree. Bought and installed the SmoothSpyder on our RTs. Waiting for him to release one for the F3. Do not want the Baker.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Not a Debate

The op was asking about the baker tensioner, and how is it with some miles on it. As usual, it's turned into the baker vs. smooth spyder debate. Does anybody have the BAKER tensioner, with a good amount of miles on it ? WTF ?
    it was fun while it lasted.

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the Baker tensioner and have over 5000 miles on it..... No problem..... kills the vibration, easy install, good product.
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTL and installed the Baker belt tensioner. Although it has reduced the vibration, it hasn't eliminated it. But I have better peace of mind and feel it was worth it. Some will say the bike just vibrates and doesn't do any harm. That may be true, but I feel better with the reduced vibration.
    Welcome to the 'fam' .... safe riding to you.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default VIBRATION

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
    I have a tensioner on my 2014 RT not the Baker and it does nothing.I have it set on the high side and still get the same 70-80 mph vibration.Dealer checked belt and they said its within specs and still had the vibration.I purchased the tensioner and set it high set it low set it in the middle and still have the vibration
    .......Are you sure it's the belt ????..........Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BELT VIBRATION

I'm starting to feel depressed .....It seems like 4 out of 10 Spyder owners feel BELT vibrations.....I must be totally numb or maybe I'm DEAD ....On my Kritkit my belt tension is 200 ( on the ground ) ( 2014 RT ).....and yes I know this is way under spec...... But maybe , just maybe a really tight belt CAUSES BELT VIBRATION ..........Mike

Spyder Garage

I've had the baker build tensoner on for around 17,000 on my 2012 RT. it's working well for my needs.
    Bryan

Spyder Garage

I have one of each with about 8000 miles on each. I would go with the Smooth Spyder.
    The little gas shock on the Baker is weak.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Spyder Garage

Default Smooth spyder

I just installed the smooth Spyder belt tensioner and it eliminated that nasty vibration.
    I had the part in my garage for months and didn't want to install it ...but I wish I did the install the day I got it.
    Great product.
    Joel