Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

For those that say, "Just go to another dealership," it just isn't that easy in some parts of the country. I could dump my local (pricey) dealer, but then have to travel at least 2 1/2 hours to the next dealer. Time, travel, expense,...! Don't know that I would save that much and it would be a much bigger PAIN! I envy you folks that can play "multiple choice"!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I understand your plight...
    But as inconvenient as a one-hundred or more mile ride to the dealer is; how "convenient" is it to have a dealer who doesn't give you the best possible service?

I guess that you have to pick the lesser of two evils...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Seams like the thread split into "Pricey Service" and "Poor Service" with no correlation between the two. Who is to say that going down the road is going to improve anything, it may be worse.

My neighbors lawn looks greener than mine...I'm going to check it out!

Spyder Garage

So strange?
    Did I not see this exact same post @ 2 weeks ago?
    Work done not listed
    Model not listed
    BTW - when my invoice states "Shop Supplies" it also LISTS those supplies used.

You wouldn't be trolling - would you?

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    When i got my bill. I knew it was $110.00 an hour but then add a $20.00 bull **** shop supply fee. It is steeling.110 an hour should cover the shop supplies used. What a rag to be given back to toewel service to be recleaned cost 12 cents. I think I am lucky a lot of independent cycle shops willing to work on can am. You might have to show them how simple and quick the tupperware comes off.
    Next there will be a tool fee.
    What supplies needed to change the oil or a tire?

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    After owning 30+ motorcycles and having been a rider since I was 14years old and now I am 73,
    I can tell you why I think the cost of service and repairs on the Spyder is higher than most all other
    motorcycle type vehicles, If you look around you will see about a zillion Honda, Harley, Suzuki, and such
    on the road and there seems to me, many dealers for each in most towns across the Country and Canada.
    The Spyder is the odd man out, it's different, it's strange sort of like a Ferrari in being much more rare, not common
    and not many on the road, so there are very few dealers around compared with the big guys above.
    They can and do charge accordingly an oil change on your Chevrolet, Buick, Ford around $24.95 an oil change on your
    Farrari $485.00. How many Ford, Chevy, Dodge dealers and quickie lube stations in your town and how many Ferrari
    dealers are there ? it's simple supply and demand you bought a Ferrari and now have to grit and bare it every time you
    go in for most anything.... Now you know why I am trying the best I can to save you money on stuff I sell...
    so you can afford that over priced oil change....
    Dave
    Oil change on my Ford ran $350. On my current Chevy, $175. Wifes SUV....39

But your point of scarcity is valid.

Learned long ago if one wants to own and drive something a bit 'different' you either learn to work on them yourself or smile and take it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The really sad part is the guy doing the work probably makes $12.00 and will be lucky if they have health insurance. That is why the work often completed is poorly done.

Spyder Garage

If you have ever changed oil for yourself, what did you do with the oil? Did you use any cleaning products in wiping up any spills other than that 12 cent rag? How about cleaning up the bike afterword? On tire changes are you charged for the actual weights used in balancing the tire? If not who pays for it? Did you pay any freight charges for any parts used on your bike?

There are lots of incidentals used in working on anything, particularly automotive stuff. Different shops cover that in different ways. Labor rates are going to be different in different areas too based upon a lot of factors. Jcthorne covered some of it. But also consider seasons. If your dealership is in an area where the work is seasonal that tech is going to have to bank money for the lean times.

We had a situation just the other day where a customer decided that we were going to charge him too much to put do some performance work on his bike and we are not very close to his location. So some buddies convinced him that he should try a local guy who knew "all about" performance tuning. He called us after he got his bike back and it was running like crap. He ended up spending a lot more to have us fix the thing because the local guy totally ruined one of his carburetors and messed up the other one. Drilled out a necessary plug instead of the plug over the mixture screw, wallowed out the wall so that there was no way to fix it. Also put jets into the wrong locations. The bike runs fine now, but he probably ended up spending three times as much as we would have charged him in the first place.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    For those that say, "Just go to another dealership," it just isn't that easy in some parts of the country. I could dump my local (pricey) dealer, but then have to travel at least 2 1/2 hours to the next dealer. Time, travel, expense,...! Don't know that I would save that much and it would be a much bigger PAIN! I envy you folks that can play "multiple choice"!
    This is just another gimmick to increase revenue. Like a restaurant charging an additional fee to wash the dishes. If it isn't posted, you can refuse to pay it, if you got a quote before starting the work. I have refused to pay that fee a number of times. Just said "show me where you have it posted", "call the cops". Usually there are other people in the shop and its smarter to take it off than have a scene in their lobby.

They do it because people just bend over and pay it. I've dumped a dentist and an eye doctor because they charged me a new patient fee $60 because I hadn't been there in a year. Both offered to refund it, I told both to stick it, I wouldn't be back. I agree that there isn't much loyalty out there today with the access to a lot of knowledge/options on the Internet, but if you are going to screw me, I want a little kiss or hide it.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally, if I have to pay a shop to do any work I'm MUCH more interested in the quality of work they perform. Good quality shops fetch a premium for a reason.
    Discount shops, more often than not, provide discount quality service. Good for some things I guess....???

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Dammit! )
    The quality of the work is always more important than the pricing...
    Example:
    Would you rather pay $350 to get your bike serviced properly?
    Or,,,
    Would you rather pay $50 bucks to have it done wrong?

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

When i got my bill. I knew it was $110.00 an hour but then add a $20.00 bull **** shop supply fee. It is steeling.110 an hour should cover the shop supplies used. What a rag to be given back to toewel service to be recleaned cost 12 cents. I think I am lucky a lot of independent cycle shops willing to work on can am. You might have to show them how simple and quick the tupperware comes off.
    Next there will be a tool fee.
    Obviously Ride Now Sports.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by azcpl85711 View Post
    I had a laser alignment done at my local shop. Quoted $140 on the phone and got a $20.00 shop fee added after the fact. Hence the reason I try to do most of my own work.
    Are you sure it was an actual "laser alignment". I do not know of anyone here who does laser alignment for Spyders.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    So strange?
    Did I not see this exact same post @ 2 weeks ago?
    Work done not listed
    Model not listed
    BTW - when my invoice states "Shop Supplies" it also LISTS those supplies used.

You wouldn't be trolling - would you?

AJ
    So does your shop have different charges depending on work performed? Lmao
    Does your shop charge differently depending on model? Lmao
    Please post a pictureof your invoice were they listed the supplies used.

If i want to go trolling I will call you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

(Dammit! )
    The quality of the work is always more important than the pricing...
    Example:
    Would you rather pay $350 to get your bike serviced properly?
    Or,,,
    Would you rather pay $50 bucks to have it done wrong?

Just because someone is gauging does not mean it is being done right. Sometimes just the oppisite.

Spyder Garage

Default Putting a gel pad in an RT Driver's seat

I bought a gel pad from Motorcycle Dave, a sponsor of this forum. I have taken the seat off the RT( thanks to information found elsewhere on this site). I have the staples removed and the cover pulled back. I am stuck now because where the cover is cinched down into the base of the rear rise, there is a band sewn to the cover to pull it down tight at the back of the drivers portion.Have any of you any experience with removing this band. If I cut part of it can I still get it tight enough on re installation? Have any of you done this installation yourself and have any tips?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default What About your Cages?

I haven't heard anyone explain how they are searching for new cage repair services because the dealer or independent repair shop has a shop supplies/disposal fee on their bill. Both have been doing it for years. Shopping for labor rates is prudent but squawking about a shop fee is like dragging out the vaulting pole to leap over mouse poop. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Talked to Paul this morning

I think Paul has it taken care of, on some seats BRP changed the way they attach the upholstery to the foam.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I bought a gel pad from Motorcycle Dave, a sponsor of this forum. I have taken the seat off the RT( thanks to information found elsewhere on this site). I have the staples removed and the cover pulled back. I am stuck now because where the cover is cinched down into the base of the rear rise, there is a band sewn to the cover to pull it down tight at the back of the drivers portion.Have any of you any experience with removing this band. If I cut part of it can I still get it tight enough on re installation? Have any of you done this installation yourself and have any tips?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    I was just in the shop the other day for a little warranty service (no charge) and noticed the sign that advertised labor rates at $48/ HALF hr, EXCEPT Spyder, Slingshot and bikes over 12 yrs old were $58/ HALF hr! Sure glad I like my Spyder because rates are getting a little steep!
    Well, that makes a lot of sense. I'm assuming that Spyders (and the others listed) are harder to work on, which means they take longer to do the same maintenance. So not only are they going to charge you more per hour. They are going to take more hours to do the work. What they are really saying is; 'If you force us to work on them, we will. But we'er going to punish you for it.

Not to mention that a bit of double dipping is great for the wallet!

Depending on who's wallet it is, of course.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...