Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default $20.00 shop fee and you already charging $110.00 hour

When i got my bill. I knew it was $110.00 an hour but then add a $20.00 bull **** shop supply fee. It is steeling.110 an hour should cover the shop supplies used. What a rag to be given back to toewel service to be recleaned cost 12 cents. I think I am lucky a lot of independent cycle shops willing to work on can am. You might have to show them how simple and quick the tupperware comes off.
    Next there will be a tool fee.
    What supplies needed to change the oil or a tire?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Find another shop...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I was just in the shop the other day for a little warranty service (no charge) and noticed the sign that advertised labor rates at $48/ HALF hr, EXCEPT Spyder, Slingshot and bikes over 12 yrs old were $58/ HALF hr! Sure glad I like my Spyder because rates are getting a little steep!

Spyder Garage

i have never checked a bill to see if there were shop fees, but 110. per hr is a lot. here in ny my guy gets 98 an hour
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Find another shop... [emoji106]
    Agreed! If you don't like the fees then find another shop or learn to do it yourself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Some shops are much more mercenary than others. No shop fee here, but its $110 per hour for the labor portion.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealership charges $50 per hour...

EDIT: New pricing is now $65 per hour...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-17-2015 at 07:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

My dealership charges $50 per hour...
    Hang on to that one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealership charges $50 per hour... [emoji106]
    I wouldn't even pick up a tool for $50/hr......lol

Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment

I had a laser alignment done at my local shop. Quoted $140 on the phone and got a $20.00 shop fee added after the fact. Hence the reason I try to do most of my own work.

Spyder Garage

Default Shop around

Fyi shops in my neck of woods par is $85 an hour HD included. Shop supplys on bill & is mix between what BRP will supply(demands for proper service) & what the tec may use extra to keep clean look, zip ties vs oil. Find a shop & get friendly with tech if u have questions make them explaine themselves. & helps you trus work being done on bike too. Try to not only see them @ required service visits, givin my mileage I try to get a tec to peak b4 a trip & catch something I might not notice. (& show off farkles). Fyi Bradford marine, several locations all also good to bump into other ryders & or get road reports.
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Ouch..!!

Being I do my own, I have not paid attention to the prices. That is way out there and shop supplies should not be your responsiblity. Just like setup and service should not be your responsibility when buying a vehicle. I would take it as is and set it up myself...sometimes your stuck with what you got but if a different dealer is not an option tell them you will bring your own...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    So YOU'RE the reason why the labor rates are so high in most shops!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Denver area, shop labor prices run about 75.00 an hour. For first Spyder did all my service at the local Spyder dealer about 20min away. This Spyder dealer was very good with the work and they were pretty much the only game in town for awhile. When I went to purchase my second Spyder same dealer offered no special price, did not even budge a little on pricing or trade in value. Seemed to think he was still the only game around. So travelled about 120miles southwest and saved about 4k on pricing and trade in value. Of course 1st dealer said that the Spyder would fall apart on me and I would regret it but you don’t know until you know and so far Spyder is running just fine. Plan to to take the trip down there for all the servicing because their rates are almost 1/2. I guess my point is, that it pays to shop around
    Last edited by Tazzel; 07-16-2015 at 02:50 PM.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My Husband and I both bought a Brand New Spyder two weeks ago, he got a Yellow limited and I got a Yellow RT-S. We each paid $125 per hour to have the accessories put on (CB's, Satelitte Radio, GPS (Mine), Tri Axel Handlebars, Trailer Hitch). I would have thought they would have given us some kind of deal since we just spent over $60 K in their shop but they didn't.

Then when we went to pick them up they each had mechanical problems with the accessorries. It took a week for them to get my CB working and my husband has to bring his break for them to get his to work right.

Needless to say we were very frustrated after paying all of that money...... Silver lining the owner meet with us and is picking up the cost of our first service to help offset the aggrevation they put us through.

We downloaded the Service Manual last night so we can now start paying ourselves $125 an hour to do the work....
    CURRENT: 2015 Yellow RT-S SE6 "Smiling All the Way"
    CB, Satelite Radio, BRP Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Handwings, Cup Holder, EZ Pass Holder, Side Saddle Cargo Nets, Smiley Face FLO, Smiley Flower Face Decals, Tri Axel Handlebar's, Corbin Heated Seat, Baker Built Upper/Lower Air Wings, BumpSkid, High Third Brake/Running Light, Brake/Running Light/Turn Signal License Plate, Turn Signals in Mirrors.

PAST: 2013 Yellow RT-S SE5 - Loaded with lots of goodies.

Spyder Garage

The price of owning a toy.

Chris

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

save that dealer the burden of depositing your money in his bank account... GO ELSEWHERE.. AND GO NOW !!

osm

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default These are only my thoughts....

After owning 30+ motorcycles and having been a rider since I was 14years old and now I am 73,
    I can tell you why I think the cost of service and repairs on the Spyder is higher than most all other
    motorcycle type vehicles, If you look around you will see about a zillion Honda, Harley, Suzuki, and such
    on the road and there seems to me, many dealers for each in most towns across the Country and Canada.
    The Spyder is the odd man out, it's different, it's strange sort of like a Ferrari in being much more rare, not common
    and not many on the road, so there are very few dealers around compared with the big guys above.
    They can and do charge accordingly an oil change on your Chevrolet, Buick, Ford around $24.95 an oil change on your
    Farrari $485.00. How many Ford, Chevy, Dodge dealers and quickie lube stations in your town and how many Ferrari
    dealers are there ? it's simple supply and demand you bought a Ferrari and now have to grit and bare it every time you
    go in for most anything.... Now you know why I am trying the best I can to save you money on stuff I sell...
    so you can afford that over priced oil change....
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Smyles View Post
    My Husband and I both bought a Brand New Spyder two weeks ago, he got a Yellow limited and I got a Yellow RT-S. We each paid $125 per hour to have the accessories put on (CB's, Satelitte Radio, GPS (Mine), Tri Axel Handlebars, Trailer Hitch). I would have thought they would have given us some kind of deal since we just spent over $60 K in their shop but they didn't.

Then when we went to pick them up they each had mechanical problems with the accessorries. It took a week for them to get my CB working and my husband has to bring his break for them to get his to work right.

Needless to say we were very frustrated after paying all of that money...... Silver lining the owner meet with us and is picking up the cost of our first service to help offset the aggrevation they put us through.

We downloaded the Service Manual last night so we can now start paying ourselves $125 an hour to do the work....
    Sorry to hear of your problems with the two new 's. Glad to hear the dealer is stepping up to the plate for their glitches. The next time service is needed, I would test them out one more time with only one machine. Hopefully, this was just a one-time occurance.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Shop Rates

Yes, this is a touchy subject. In 2015 the costs of employees and just doing business is increasing yearly and it appears there is no end in sight. Taxes, Taxes, and More Taxes and the accounting to go with them. Recently a lot of the costs are health care related, in a dealership where health care is mandatory this is a significant portion of the rate schedule. You must also include training costs, certifications, specialty tools and equipment. (Buds) Non of which are free. A well trained and certified technician does not come cheep and are normally worth there keep. So if you think the technician is getting $20.00 and the boss is putting the other $80.00 in his/her pocket, think again.

No. I do not like $100.00/ hr unfortunately it appears they have broken this ceiling. Been grocery shopping lately.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    When i got my bill. I knew it was $110.00 an hour but then add a $20.00 bull **** shop supply fee. It is steeling.110 an hour should cover the shop supplies used. What a rag to be given back to toewel service to be recleaned cost 12 cents. I think I am lucky a lot of independent cycle shops willing to work on can am. You might have to show them how simple and quick the tupperware comes off.
    Next there will be a tool fee.
    What supplies needed to change the oil or a tire?

Shop Fee. Find a new Dealer. $110 and hour is also ridiculous.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

find a new shop!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post

This post is one to learn from. The reality is it depends which side of the wrench you are on. If you own the vehicle that is one side, the side not wanting to spend money, the guy or girl turning the wrench needs the money to survive.

Those complaining about the $100/hr shop rates I understand it is a lot of money. Then again, if you look at where you work or if self employed, what type of rates do you charge or were they getting before you retired.

The greatest downside to the shop rate is does more cost per hour get you a better qualified technician??? Does the shop with he lower shop rate do inferior work.

I have been an aircraft mechanic for 35 years. Nothing has been more frustrating than to listen to an aircraft owner complain about how expensive it is to maintain his aircraft or how expensive the parts are, only to find out that they spend 25% more on shop rate to maintain their Mercedes.

There have been many times, like Drew where I was not willing to open the tool box and take on the liability let alone know that unless they paid cash it would be a fight to get paid.

A motorcycle is not an aircraft, and those shop rates are in the same ballpark as aircraft maintenance rates. The aircraft shops do add shop supply fees. A flat fee is often good, some shops add a small percentage of the total bill.

Regardless, there is sometimes nothing more rewarding than telling the complaining owner he will not be able to write a big enough check on the way down...

My wife knows and appreciates the money saved from me fixing or modding all the vehicles myself. My opinion on the split shop rates is two tiered, one is any work takes up more shop floor space. Second is these are a premium priced vehicle. Someone compared them to a Ferrari. They are not inexpensive and the shops know that and may consider if they can afford to own they can afford to fix.

The sad part in all this is it seems so many shops are either working flat rate or the techs are not high quality and this may be why so many repairs or installs need to go back for rework. Rework in my opinion should be rare and unacceptable for any quality technician with pride in his work.

On the side note to not opening the tool box...there have hundreds of hours I have given away to good people just to ensure their safety simply because they were genuine and passionate about their hobby. These people knew what I did for them, I never expected anything in return, but somehow they thought of me and returned the kindness.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default Shop fees

I guess I should feel lucky. Purchased my Spyder (2012 RT-S SE5) from a dealer 75 miles away, because at the time that was the closest. Two years ago the local Ski-Doo/Can-Am ATV dealer (Walt's Sales and Service just 5 miles from home) got a Spyder franchise. Have since bought a new Ski-Doo from them and had warranty work done on the Spyder. A year ago they replaced an oil seal on the water pump under warranty. Last Monday I dropped the Spyder off because I was getting the "E" in the gear position indicator. They checked it out and found it low on oil and that the water pump seal was leaking again. They replaced the seal again with a newer more durable seal and I will pick the bike up this morning. No charge, not even the $50.00 deductible for the B.E.S.T. warranty. Their shop rate is $80/hr, so compare to $110 that sounds pretty good.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Some Can Am dealers try to see just how much they can charge before they lose all their service work.. there will be a breaking point... being greedy will bite them in the butt one day...

osm