Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Questions on Modular Helmets

I'm thinking that I would like a modular helmet. I am so new with riding that I don't have a clue other than I know that it needs to fit right and cheap helmets might not be strong enough in an accident. I am currently using a BRP with a removable chin guard, I don't have enough experience to know noise levels etc.

I've looked at the reviews on the Shark Evoline Series and the Shoei Neotec and a few others. One difference is that the Shark when the chin guard is raised the face shield can still be used, and the Shoei it doesn't work that way.

It seems to me that the Shark design is better. For those that have modular helmets what are you thoughts and suggestions?

I have an oval head and I see that not all helmets are oval.
    If it makes a difference my size appears to be M.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

i really like the shark, problem is they run small in size and none fit my melon,
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Found mine @ HD

Thik is a relabled HJC fyi fits fine color was close to my bike & the added shade visor helps @ sunset. For saftey try this SNELL MODULAR :http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content...LS2_Helmet.jpg
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Schuberth C3 Helmet is one of the best an quiets helmet you will get there are no better you pay for Weight and sound they all work for protection

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-helmet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I have a Schuberth S2 and a Lazer Monaco Pure Carbon. The Lazer is the nicest helmet
    I've owned. Like most helmets the shape of your head determines which brand will
    suit you best.

Here's a review:

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I both ryde with the Shoei Neotech..... You are right in that if the chin bar is raised you don't get the visor..... you DO get the sun shield. Which I find serviceable up to about 70 MPH...... FYI I also wear eye glasses which easily fit inside the helmet.

The Shoei fits a medium oval head and complies comfortably to my noggin. It's not the quietest or lightest helmet I've ever owned but it IS comfortable and functional. I can give it a thumbs up.
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Spyder Garage

Go to a shop and try them on. They will fit tight, but will loosen up over time.

Love my modular in cold weather and rainy weather. All other times I wear a half helmet.

Just remember, you don't have to spend a fortune. Just make sure it's a DOT approved helmet and you're good to go. I got mine for under $100 at Cycle Gear.
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6, purchased July 8, 2015
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Eduo Innovations SRT Clear/Stainless Cup Holder
    Lamonster Spyder Decals
    Inspector Gadget Driver Floorboards and Heel-Toe Shifter
    Sena SPH10H-FM Headset for Half-Helmet
    Hopnel 1500 Front Trunk Liner
    BRP Trailer Hitch and Control Module
    2014 Escape Trailer (Black and Diamond) from 1 Motorcycle Trailers

2012 Magnesium Spyder RT SM5, sold on July 8, 2015

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll need to take you head to where the helmets are, and let it have some fun playing "dress-up" with them.
    Happy Hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

All good selections above I use this
    http://www.jpcycles.com/product/512-817
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

I use a HJC modular. Nice fit. I can ride with it up with no problem but my wife says it pushes her head back to much. I guess it would be different for everyone. HJC is medium priced but that should not be a desideing factor. Your comfort and safety are more important.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the IS-MAX model...
    I'm not 100% happy with it.
    But it's certainly good enough to continue using!

Spyder Garage

Here is another + 1 for the Neotec. I really like mine.

I don't ride with the chin bar up, and haven't had an issue with the face shield not being in place in that situation, but when stopped I just leave my helmet on, chin bar up, and sun screen down.

The only issue that I've had with it is that I wish the sun screen was darker at the top. I'm planning on getting some dark film to make a band across the top, when I get a chance. (but it's been ~3 years with this helmet, so it must not be that urgent :- )

Best advice is to first get a helmet that fits your head very, very well. All other things are secondary.

And don't expect that the fit will change very much over time. If it does, then it's likely not a high quality helmet. Sure, it will loosen a hair after a week or so of use, but it shouldn't change much more than that.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Mine is a Caberg Duke in gun metal grey. The advice given to me and this is my first helmet is measure around your head and go into the shop/shops and try different ones on. Mine is 5 star sharp rating and is PJ approved which means I can ride with flip up. It also has Bluetooth ready.
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

I am a Nolan Helmet fan. Have three assorted N-40 series. Three N-100 series.

I am now liking the 40's better. The 100's go on when the weather gets cooler.

As mentioned above--fit is the most important factor. Find a local dealer for whatever you decide on and try them on before you buy or order that special color.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HJC SEEMS TO FIT THE BEST OVER ALL

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    I'm thinking that I would like a modular helmet. I am so new with riding that I don't have a clue other than I know that it needs to fit right and cheap helmets might not be strong enough in an accident. I am currently using a BRP with a removable chin guard, I don't have enough experience to know noise levels etc.

I've looked at the reviews on the Shark Evoline Series and the Shoei Neotec and a few others. One difference is that the Shark when the chin guard is raised the face shield can still be used, and the Shoei it doesn't work that way.

It seems to me that the Shark design is better. For those that have modular helmets what are you thoughts and suggestions?

I have an oval head and I see that not all helmets are oval.
    If it makes a difference my size appears to be M.
    You're right. Not all helmets are oval. My head is a long oval, and I can't wear a Shoi. They're too tight for me. HJC seems to fit the best, and the model is up to you. But, they really do fit oval shaped heads the best of anything I've tried to use. An HJC saved my life when I hit a deer at 65MPH on a downhill curve in 2008. Tore off the face shield, but only scraped the rest of it a little. I got a concussion, broke 7 ribs, a broken finger, and a major case of road rash on my right arm. Believe me when I say the HJC saved my life!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ALWAYS have trouble finding a comfortable helmet that fits properly...

Attached Images Attached Images

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I also use the G Max

I like the GMax as well I love the light on the back.....

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    All good selections above I use this
    http://www.jpcycles.com/product/512-817

Spyder Garage

We use the CL Max II from HJC. I have been using HJC for years and always found them comfortable and reasonably priced. The CL Max is more comfortable for me then the SY Max from the same company. Motorcycle Superstore for 125 right now. Having said all that one of the most comfortable helmets I ever had was a KBC that I got on close out for 80.00. Saved my head in a wreck in 2011.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

http://www.webbikeworld.com/

Poke around the above site. Look for helmet reviews. We did. And we purchased 2 Neotec's and couldn't be happier. Also got them from Revzilla. They are awesome to deal with. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like many have said, the fit's the thing.

I tried the Evoline because I liked the concept. But it was too round for me.

Another consideration is weight. Modular helmets weight more than their full-face counterparts.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

DOT rating is NOT good enough. You should be looking for a motorcycle helmet with a 2015 SNELL rating. There are VERY few modulars that carry the SNELL rating as they are seldom strong enough to protect like a full face helmet and most acutally do worse than a 3/4 in that the mechanisms cause injury in a crash. This is why so few meet the SNELL requirements.

Love my Arai helmet, but they do not yet build a modular for this very reason.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default size/fit question

I went and tried a HJC is Max 2 today and according to their sizing, I should use a M, but it was really tight, I can't imagine riding with it very far without a headache at least. The L is snug but doesn't allow any rotation or movement. My head is what they call med. oval.

Any observations?

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the "Large" fits as you say it does; THAT's the one that you should be using!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I get home & find some calipers, is there a ratio chart to know if your head is short/med/long oval, round?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Helmets are a tough topic. I'ts best to go try them on, then once you find the one that feels the best, find it online and save some money. We're currently using Bell with Transition shields. They're nice, but certainly not the most comfortable I've used. The best helmet I've ever worn was indeed a BRP Modular I helmet. It was the first Modular designed for snowmobiling..years ago. LOVED it! Got outta the sport and sold it with the sled. I've been searching for the right standard full face ever since, with no luck. Now ya got me thinking about going brain-bucket shopping again.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White