Spyder Garage

Default Powering a Sena while riding

Has anyone tried powering a Sena headset while riding? We were about an hour from our final destination and our headset batteries died. We were heading into rain of course and while we made it, it was a little hairy without the ability to communicate between our Spyders.

I was thinking of powering it with a cell phone battery thing while riding (only when dry of course).
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

I did and it works fine, they even give you a 12V plug in. I would suggest that you get a couple of 10' USB to mini USB and then the USB charger 12V plugs, as the cords are a little short.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Has anyone tried powering a Sena headset while riding? We were about an hour from our final destination and our headset batteries died. We were heading into rain of course and while we made it, it was a little hairy without the ability to communicate between our Spyders.

I was thinking of powering it with a cell phone battery thing while riding (only when dry of course).
    That should work. I can't think of any reason it should not.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

It works fine.. I ryde long distance rydes and the charge on my 20S will last a maximum of 12hrs so I use the 12v plug charger frequently. It even re charges the unit while you are using it plugged in so after a while you can put away the wire again...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding to Utah from SanFrancisco

The trip from the Bay Area "San Francisco' going on Hwy 80 east to Salt Lake City, Utah 756 mi.
    last year I had my SMH10D-11 go dead at about Wells Nevada...10+ hours, all I did was pull out the
    12V charging cord that came with the head sets, plug it in and off I went on my way with NO
    problems, I am riding an early GS/RS Spyder with NO radio so I use my iPhone for GPS, Music
    from Pandora or i Heart Radio and tons of downloaded pod casts of old time radio shows....
    hahahaha The Shadow Knows...hahahah
    Ride Sefe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

I have one of those USB battery packs that I can put in my jacket pocket, and run a usb cable from it to the headset.

I like this better than wiring it to something on the spyder, as that way I can get off and walk around, still with power.

My battery pack has two ports, and can charge both my headset and iPhone at the same time as a bonus.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I have JT's 12v plug and dual usb on dash. Just plug sena in and ride when battery goes dead. Works great!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fratzba View Post
    I have one of those USB battery packs that I can put in my jacket pocket, and run a usb cable from it to the headset.

I like this better than wiring it to something on the spyder, as that way I can get off and walk around, still with power.

My battery pack has two ports, and can charge both my headset and iPhone at the same time as a bonus.

-Fratz
    I have one of these as well that I use to charge SENA and iPhone when I am stopped for meals and the bike will not charge....
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Reading your comments as given me some great ideas. If I buy a USB battery pack/12v plug & dual USB, am I correct in saying I will not have to order a fitted 12v power outlet/USB port for F3? If that is the case you guys have just saved me some money
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You could try one of these

Put the following in e bay:-:

New Motorcycle Car Boat Dual USB Power Charger 12-24V Port Socket Waterproof

This will fit in the switch console if you have a blank it gives 2 USB sockets so you can use it to power the Sena
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you guys are using a 12 volt cord, or other, to keep your BT helmets charged up, why not just use wired headsets? Running out of power never happens then!!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just added a second SENA battery to each of our head sets. They now run over 18hrs of continuous use. Far longer than I can run..... They also usually go 2 days if I forget to charge overnight on a trip.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I just added a second SENA battery to each of our head sets. They now run over 18hrs of continuous use. Far longer than I can run..... They also usually go 2 days if I forget to charge overnight on a trip.
    Still not enough for my 24 hour rydes but sounds like a great idea for most...

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fratzba View Post

-Fratz
    +1 on the USB battery pack..... works great....... charges the unit while in operation.
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike