Spyder Garage

Default A gyroplane and a motorcycle!

Enjoy!

Spyder Garage

That is quite a ride. Thanks Rando. Has anyone here owned, own, or flown a gyrocopter?

The pilot obviously knew what he was doing. Watching it gave me the heebie jeebies though. That is up to close and personal to the open air for me.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-16-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    That is quite a ride. Thanks Rando. Has anyone here owned, own, or fly one a gyrocopter?

The pilot obviously knew what he was doing. Watching it gave me the heebie jeebies though. That is up to close and personal to the open air for me.
    it wasn't me in the video but I have owned and have flown several gyros over the years. I still believe they are the best kept secret in aviation! What fun to own and fly.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Are they cheaper then a spyder?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The insurance guy in me was cringing...
    There almost seemed to be too many things to be watching for!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome..!!

That has to be a lot of fun. Just have that fear I'll get the orange screen with limp home...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

An interesting video, but if the motorcycle had gone much slower to keep up with the gyro, he would have had to put his feet down. I exaggerate, obviously, but IMO there were a lot better choices for aircraft that could give the bike a run for his money. I used to own a Quicksilver GT500 that could do 100 mph, as an example.

Gyros have always been a small fraction of the ultralight / light sport segment. They got bad press a number of years ago when a few broke up in flight. The term in my head is "mast bumping", others more knowledgeable can correct me. The market segment took a beating, as did ultralights in general from other unfortunate accidents with video available for the media frenzy.

The rather bland statement at the end about discussing the flight with the FAA after the flight was a bit misleading. That discussion should have happened before the flight, because they broke the law. Aircraft must remain more than 500 from any person, vehicle or structure in the USA. Since they mention the FAA I assume it was filmed here somewhere.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Are they cheaper then a spyder?
    My first one cost $4,000.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At THAT price; Let's play two***!

*** With apologies to Ernie Banks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    That has to be a lot of fun. Just have that fear I'll get the orange screen with limp home...
    It just happened to a friend of mine, engine failure. In a gyroplane, the rotor keeps turning regardless of the engine, hence autogyro or autogiro as another name for them. In this case my friend suffered a complete engine failure but no damage to him or the gyro. It happened to me once. Totally my fault.

http://www.macombdaily.com/general-n...res-schoolyard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    At THAT price; Let's play two!
    The one in the video is for sale. Not sure how much he is asking though. Only 39 hours on it. FMI. www.rotaryforum.com or www.pra.org

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll bite...
    What sort of license is required, in order to launch yourself in one of them?

Spyder Garage

I'll bite...
    What sort of license is required, in order to launch yourself in one of them?
    As an ultralight, no license but training is mandatory unless you prefer the alternative to living. Empty weight of 254 pounds or less to quality as an ultralight. Hard to achieve safely but doable if the pilot is not too heavy since to keep the machine light, you must use a small HP motor. You are also restricted on only 5 gallons of fuel.

The one in the video is an ultralight gyroplane.

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43566
    Last edited by Rando; 07-16-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If that 254 pound weight limit includes all of my bacon double-cheeseburgers; I guess that I'll just have to watch...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If that 254 pound weight limit includes all of my bacon double-cheeseburgers; I guess that I'll just have to watch...
    just the aircraft empty weight. The manufacturer usually states an allowable gross weight, which is where the cheeseburgers come into play.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder how much helium I can swallow?

Spyder Garage

I wonder how much helium I can swallow?
    If you start taking lessons, please, please, please, GoPro it for us. It should be good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Kind Of LIke...

...This?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

PLEASE do not inhale helium, or let your friends or family do it. Death can occur suddenly and without warning. I hate when some celebrity does it on TV. Until a celebrity dies suddenly, the dangers will not spread.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/760299

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But you've got to admit; he had the most EXCELLENT impish grin...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    it wasn't me in the video but I have owned and have flown several gyros over the years. I still believe they are the best kept secret in aviation! What fun to own and fly.

Humm, what are your thoughts on 'Bunting Over?' Unrecoverable, as I understand it.

I first saw a Gyrocopter when I was about 14-15 (mid-1960s). It was an ad in Popular Science for a Benson Gyrocopter. Man, I wanted one of those!! But, being a poor kid, I couldn't afford anything like that. A very used motorcycle was my limit. But, that didn't stop me from dreaming.

I was at a friend's house some time later. His parents were there and we were all sitting at the breakfast bar talking. His father was a B-17 pilot in WWII and was shot down over Italy. He still was heavily associated with aviation.

His parents were very fun people - always happy and nothing could cause them to get too serious. After all, they both survived the Great Depression and WWII. By the 1960s, life was a peach.

I mentioned to Mr. Bodycomb that I wanted a Benson Gyrocopter so bad I couldn't stand it. For the first time I knew of, Mr. Bodycomb got real serious and looked me straight in the eye:

"Joe, you don't want a Gyrocopter. They have a very limited flight envelope. If you manage to get out of the flight envelope, the Gyrocopter will fall out of the sky and you will die. When this happens, it is unrecoverable."

This was nearly 50 years ago. I remember Mr. Bodycomb saying that as if it was yesterday. He got my attention.

Having said the above, I really would like a GYROPLANE!!!

Stupid is as stupid does, I guess - - - -

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    Humm, what are your thoughts on 'Bunting Over?' Unrecoverable, as I understand it.

I first saw a Gyrocopter when I was about 14-15 (mid-1960s). It was an ad in Popular Science for a Benson Gyrocopter. Man, I wanted one of those!! But, being a poor kid, I couldn't afford anything like that. A very used motorcycle was my limit. But, that didn't stop me from dreaming.

I was at a friend's house some time later. His parents were there and we were all sitting at the breakfast bar talking. His father was a B-17 pilot in WWII and was shot down over Italy. He still was heavily associated with aviation.

His parents were very fun people - always happy and nothing could cause them to get too serious. After all, they both survived the Great Depression and WWII. By the 1960s, life was a peach.

I mentioned to Mr. Bodycomb that I wanted a Benson Gyrocopter so bad I couldn't stand it. For the first time I knew of, Mr. Bodycomb got real serious and looked me straight in the eye:

"Joe, you don't want a Gyrocopter. They have a very limited flight envelope. If you manage to get out of the flight envelope, the Gyrocopter will fall out of the sky and you will die. When this happens, it is unrecoverable."

This was nearly 50 years ago. I remember Mr. Bodycomb saying that as if it was yesterday. He got my attention.

Having said the above, I really would like a GYROPLANE!!!

Stupid is as stupid does, I guess - - - -

Joe T.
    A bunt over or power push over is fatal. That's where proper training comes into play. A good, modern gyro, when flown properly, will not bunt!

I recommend you join the forum and read about it. www.rotaryforum.com

Do a search for power pushover, bunt, CLT, HTL, etc...
    Last edited by Rando; 07-17-2015 at 04:29 PM.