Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What's the deal with the back tire wearing out so fast?

I went on a 2700 mile trip and took my Spyder into the stealership to have the vibration problem looked at, and was told my rear tire was down to the wear bars. I said WHAT?! The bike only has 3100 miles on it! How could I need a new back tire?! I bought just over a month ago, and was trying to get 600 miles on it before I left for my trip. The guy at the dealer said they were pretty bad tires from the factory and a lot of riders are going to other tires. What I would like to know is what are some of you guys changing to, and how many miles are you getting out of them?

Spyder Garage

The "bad" tires were on 2014 models. BRP took care of that when they went back to the original compound. I wouldn't think your tire would be worn after that many miles. Have you looked at the tire? I would look at it myself before doing anything. Search for tire threads. There are a bunch of them.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

If your issue is not the 2014 "soft tire compound" issue--then--your tires might not be inflated properly. Most use 28# in the rear tires.

I got 8,900 on my OEM 2014 RT tires. Now at 17K and the new ones are still looking good. (8,000 miles).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

make sure they are talking about the wear bars and not the rain blocks. The rain blocks come up fast.....find the triangle on the tires edge and the wear bars are across from there...
    all tires have these marks....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chupaca; 07-15-2015 at 01:38 AM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Good post Gene. I forgot all about that.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Good advice......i made that same error with the RT tires.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Do you do burnouts?
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WEAR BARS

Some stealers are clueless or worse.....there are two different levels of wear bars ......make sure they using the lowest set. And I highly recommend going to the General Altimax RT-43 in 215/60-15 size when you get a new tire....Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Something isn't right. I have a little over 3000 miles on my 2014 RT and the tires all look fine.

Spyder Garage

Maybe a naive question, but is it a tricky job changing the rear wheel on an F3?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    I went on a 2700 mile trip and took my Spyder into the stealership to have the vibration problem looked at, and was told my rear tire was down to the wear bars. I said WHAT?! The bike only has 3100 miles on it! How could I need a new back tire?! I bought just over a month ago, and was trying to get 600 miles on it before I left for my trip. The guy at the dealer said they were pretty bad tires from the factory and a lot of riders are going to other tires. What I would like to know is what are some of you guys changing to, and how many miles are you getting out of them?
    Sounds like another dealer trying to make some extra bucks or a tech who doesn't know what he's talking about!
    I have almost 3000 miles on my F3 and the rear tyre's fine. I ride fairly hard and give the rubber plenty to do!

I have no intention of putting a car tyre on my F3 as the bike isn't heavy enough to ensure that the tyre would work correctly.
    The side wall won't flex enough with the light weight.

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Wear

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post

Got 7800 on mine and looks like it will run another 7800 easy...F3S 2015

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PERSONEL TO OJ

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Sounds like another dealer trying to make some extra bucks or a tech who doesn't know what he's talking about!
    I have almost 3000 miles on my F3 and the rear tyre's fine. I ride fairly hard and give the rubber plenty to do!

I have no intention of putting a car tyre on my F3 as the bike isn't heavy enough to ensure that the tyre would work correctly.
    OJ, Lamont is testing the new tire from V-rubber, and this may work out , we'll have to see..................However I have always switched to car tires and never had the problem some have had with the sidewall issue ......because I run mine at 21 lbs PSI.....not 28 .....I just went through some serious rain with my New Michelin Hydro-Edge, and I was impressed with it's performance in deep water............It dry performance is great also........just some thoughts ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    make sure they are talking about the wear bars and not the rain blocks. The rain blocks come up fast.....find the triangle on the tires edge and the wear bars are across from there...
    all tires have these marks....
    So if one were to get down on the floor to check his tire wear, what would he look for? Wear down to the "triangle" or colored marks across from the "triangle"?
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post

OJ that is your choice not to use a car tire. Having used one for 12,000 miles I can say it does work correctly.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default The wear bar

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    So if one were to get down on the floor to check his tire wear, what would he look for? Wear down to the "triangle" or colored marks across from the "triangle"?
    The wear bar in the tread.... they will set lower that the rain blocks unless your tire is truly worn down to the wear bar. Then they will all be the same....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

In Gene's picture look below the triangle on your tire and you see the DOT information with an oval and some numbers, four, in it. Those numbers are the week and year of manufacture of the tire. For your F3 the number should be well later than 2814. Who knows! If it is not later than 2814 you got an old, soft compound tire and I personally would raise hell. JMO
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    OJ that is your choice not to use a car tire. Having used one for 12,000 miles I can say it does work correctly.
    what car tire do you run?

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 9.000km = 5.592miles apprx..

Guys, so If i do understand this right..
    The indicator marked in red circle - is something like information bar that tells me Be careful the tire is worn
    The indicator in green circle - is an indicator that is tell you till when the tire is LEGALLY okie to still have it on bike..
    am I right??

But anyway I dont see my tire to least 17.000km not even thinking about miles.. so maybe I am driving like idiot - but I dont do burnouts.. or maybe you guys drive like grandpa-s??? -just joke no offense.. ))

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Slovakia View Post
    Guys, so If i do understand this right..
    The indicator marked in red circle - is something like information bar that tells me Be careful the tire is worn
    The indicator in green circle - is an indicator that is tell you till when the tire is LEGALLY okie to still have it on bike..
    am I right??

But anyway I dont see my tire to least 17.000km not even thinking about miles.. so maybe I am driving like idiot - but I dont do burnouts.. or maybe you guys drive like grandpa-s??? -just joke no offense.. ))
    I think they get a bit carried away with the wear indicators on tyres...remember they are selling them, the higher the indicator the quicker you say , **** tyres are getting low, I better get another set. More coin for them

Spyder Garage

Martin, the bar you have circled in red is NOT a 'tread wear' indicator; there will be a few sets of bars like that which are set about that high in the tread that are generally either block/tread 'squirm limiters' or 'water/ice breakers' that are there to make sure that any water/ice/snow etc caught or collected in those grooves does actually clear the tread as the tire turns on the road surface.

The bar you have circled in GREEN IS a tread wear indicator; and when the tread is worn down as low as that, it's definitely time to replace the tire!! If you can't see any height difference between the tread wear indicator bar & the tread blocks, the tire will no longer be legal/roadworthy.

As for the Kenda tires lasting &/or working as well as other tires, they won't & don't do that - even the 'better' (older?) compound that the tire manufacturer went back to after the dodgy 2014 effort still won't last a heap of distance or provide traction/work as well as you should expect from a tire.... there are many better alternatives out there that WILL last longer and provide better traction as they do so. But if anyone wants to stick with the Kendas, that's their choice!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-06-2015 at 04:03 AM.

Spyder Garage

Great info....and to add, the triangular on the side is your sidewall wear indicator. You should not scrub into that triangle basically. (Super low tire pressure and turns will have the sidewall flexing into that triangle)
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep.. BRP installed "defective substandard" tires on the 2014 spyders .. but they won't back up their screw up.. so after buying a $30,000 machine you have to go out and buy a "real tire" to replacement a goof up... buy anything but a 2 ply junky Kenda... save yourself some money and go to a regular tire dealer .. they will install it if you take the rim off your spyder..

osm

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default alternative

I want to buy some alternative. Peter gave me some advices but because i am from CEE Europe and summer time is almost over and the dimensions are bit unusual, I have small problem to find a good one still available.
    options are:
    1 - Toyo Prexes T1-R - not sure about the top quality.. price about 100Eur
    2 - Toyo Proxes R888 - but they are bit pricy, and I think more suitable for tracks that for roads...
    3 - Kumho 225/50/15 - ECSTA ASC - there is only one seller at my region of these tires and seem not really helpful guy
    4 - NEXEN CP 641 - never heard about them
    5 - Advan by Yokohama are not available - but they look like badass
    any idea about different good brands.. maybe I am searching wrong....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Rear tire

I have Kuhmo's on mine and replaced at 32,000 miles, I now have 51xxx on the bike and just recently put on a new tire. I keep them on as they seem to last longer than anything BRP has. Am not too sure about "car" tires for the front. If the front is aligned correctly they last a long time ( the ones I have are the BRP ones.) misalignment can REALLY mess up your day and replacement can happen every 6000 miles. Now that I have the front correct the tires have been good for over 8000+ miles and still looking good.