Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Side Case Hinge Upgrade/Repair Kit Instructions

SIDE CASE HINGE UPGRADE/REPAIR KIT

First of all,let me congratulate you on purchasing our kit. Installed correctly this kit will either fix a broken hinge better than original or strengthen unbroken ones so that they should never break under normal circumstances. This kit was modeled after the side cases for the 2014 RT's. It should fit many other models also. One thing that it is critical to remember is that we are dealing with steel and plastic.The replacement bolts are very hard (10.9) and being as such should never be tightened above a snug fit. This also includes the nuts that will secure the back bracket. Snug them up only! The purpose of this repair kit is to utilize a larger surface area of the plastic to strengthen the weak areas. We will basically be making a sandwich with the brackets in order for the entire area to work together to be stronger. Either bracket tightened too tight will not allow this to occur properly. We include Loc-Tite to secure the back nuts to the replacement bolts.

ITEMS ENCLOSED

4 Outer Brackets
    4 Inner Brackets
    8 M6 1.0 30mm bolts
    8 M6 Nuts
    1 Loc-tite

INSTRUCTIONS

To avoid confusion, lay out the parts so that you will know exactly what parts go where. On the inside of the outer brackets, you will see a Left, aRight, and 2 Rear. Based upon sitting on the bike, the Right will be used in the front right hinge. The Left will go on the left front hinge. The two Rear outer brackets are interchangeable and go onto the rear hinges. Lay each of these brackets out so that the taper(smallest area) will be at the top for all pieces. This is super important, as they will not fit correctly if turned over with the short side down. NOTE: Two factors about these outer brackets. The first is the fit. The furthermost edge in each direction of each bracket should come fully into contact with the plastic inner case.(see diagram)

There is a slight curl where the inner part does not make complete contact. Due to tolerances within the injection mold that the case was formed in,there may be slight variations from case to case. That is normal. A small pair of pliers can be used to adjust the tabs if needed. The second factor is the curl. The plastic case is designed to flex slightly and this will still happen with the curl there. It will act as a spring and the more flex towards the middle of the bike the more load the outer bracket springs will take up. This will greatly strengthen the hinge and it is doubtful they will ever break. My plastic area where the hinge connects was broken so bad I could wiggle the plastic back and forth and as soon as this was installed and secured, the hinge was at least as good as new and probably stronger than it had ever been.

Start with either the front or the back bracket. Remove one old bolt out of the upper portion of the hinge. Making sure the outer bracket is turned with the taper to the top (and is the correct side if the front)install the longer bolt in the correct corresponding bracket hole and place it into position where you removed the shorter bolt. Start the bolt far enough that you can feel it start to come out of the back bracket through the threads. (you can reach behind and feel the spot)Once you are slightly past where you can feel the threads then stop.(make sure you are feeling the correct bolt!) Once you have done that, rotate the bracket out of the way so that you can remove the other bolt. Once that is done, thread the longer bolt into the bracket hole and position the bolt into the case hole. Again, feel the bolt correctly start. You then can slowly snug both bolts down.DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! Just snug. Verifying that the tabs are in the correct contact spots and just before the final turns, slightly lift up on the case lid. This will help to correctly seat it. Verify that the case closes correctly. The first few times it may be a little tight, but after a few times it should shut as before. If need be loosen and adjust it up again. Once the adjustment and tightening is complete, take any one of the four inner brackets and install it onto the protruding bolts that you felt earlier. On the side that has the shorter (milled) area on the outer portion (SEE DIAGRAM).

Make sure that the milled area points away from the bike. When the nuts are tightened down, the steel bracket the bolts go through and the plastic sides will work together to make a substantially larger contact area, making this extremely strong. This is where the Loc-tite comes in. We don't want these nuts backing off, yet we are only able to snug them up. Over tightening may damage the case so be careful. You probably will have to lay on the floor to put a drop of Loc-tite close to where the nuts will be positioned. Then immediately tighten the nuts down while the Loc-tite has not set up.

Repeat the same process with the other hinge, then move to the other side and do that case. If you do not use the inner brackets, thinking that you don't need them, it will only strengthen one side and not be a complete upgrade.

NOTE: If you are handy with tools and feel confident in doing so, you can place all four outer brackets before placing the inner ones. That way youonly have to get on the floor once to do all four inner brackets.Watch your eyes and clothes from possible dripping Loc-tite.

IF THE HINGE IS BROKEN
    If you are one of the lucky folks that purchased the kit after the hinge broke, do not despair. First thing you need to do is super glue the two bottom tabs that have broken. Let it dry and very carefully do the same procedure as outlined above. Using something or someone to help prop up the case lid should help. In extreme cases, remove both of the lid bolts so that the hinge is free. Install the outer bracket as outlined above. Once it is tightened in place you will notice the strength has returned to the joint. You can then reinstall the lid bolts and finish the above procedure. (You got this!)
    -Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 07-14-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Great news..!!

This product should help a lot of ryders. Don't have lids to close but the folks I ryde with are pretty hard on them. A lot of slaming going on...like you said metal and plasti.

Check your space bar cause the text has many words stuck together.... totally readable...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

When will these be for sale?

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    This product should help a lot of ryders. Don't have lids to close but the folks I ryde with are pretty hard on them. A lot of slaming going on...like you said metal and plasti.

Check your space bar cause the text has many words stuck together.... totally readable...
    Yeah, I went back in and cleaned it up. It was the Word Processor program. No line breaks. Should be OK now. Pretty simple, right?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Doc!

I'll start my studying now!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

i am ready to order, please let me know when we can
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John,
    In the original thread; he mentioned that you can start ordering them right now.
    He's got about 4 kits ready to sell; don't delay!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ordering these kits...

I grabbed some of the pertinent information out of his post for you...

"For those of you 2014 RT owners that are wanting to get these on, I will have 4 sets ready for sale by the weekend. Send me a PM and I will invoice you. They are going to run about $65, which includes shipping. They will come with a lifetime warranty against their breakage. There is nothing that can break on them. Title your PM with Side Case Upgrade/Repair Kit.
    Obviously, you can wait on Bob's report, but for the 14' RT's I know the kit will fit. "

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    When will these be for sale?

Pam
    Have to wait on the '15 RT tester to report. I am sure they are a match, but let's make sure.

Once we get rolling on the '14's and 15's, I'll send a '13 sample kit out to make sure they will work! Etc....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Have to wait on the '15 RT tester to report. I am sure they are a match, but let's make sure.

Once we get rolling on the '14's and 15's, I'll send a '13 sample kit out to make sure they will work! Etc....
    2015 RT Tester reporting in!! I will also start studying the directions as I wait for the test kit to arrive. Thanks to Doc for putting these together!
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pontow View Post
    2015 RT Tester reporting in!! I will also start studying the directions as I wait for the test kit to arrive. Thanks to Doc for putting these together!
    Did you call?

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post

The part numbers for the '14 versus '15 hinges and side cases are the same. So you are undoubtedly correct that your parts will work on both. But proving the theory is always a good idea! The part number for the hinges on 2013's is the same but the side cases are different. I would expect that as they may be a slightly different shape or something. Is it identical in the hinge area? You'll have to find out.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTL

I have a 2013 RTL and would love to test your hinge bracket for fitment. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Doc, you might want to add some pictures as while I don't have a broken one yet, I do not understand your instructions at all. Maybe if I were to tear the saddlebag apart they would make sense but not right now.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Our two testers should have their kits. It looks like the kit for the 2015 is going to work with slight modification. Things are progressing!