Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Do not ride on gravel roads?

In the Do and don't section it says " do not ride on gravel roads" Well, I live on a gravel road and I have to drive on about 1/4 mile of gravel to get to my house! Most of the belt is covered but there is a short section that is not. Is there a cover made for that section? I'll bet a piece of gravel could do severe damage to the belt and drive wheel. Now I'll worry every time I drive on that short section of gravel road. My bike is an RTs.

Spyder Garage

Default There is....

check with spyderpops, a sponsor on the home page, who has those missing guards...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Your question got answered quick.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

No, no! You're never allowed to ride on gravel...you have to give the bike back!

Or not.

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If it makes you feel better. I have 3 1/2 miles of gravel to the nearest tar road. no problems yet. dealer said it is the chipped granite that will cause damage to the belt. the round rocks on a gravel road have not bothered yet.

Spyder Garage

As Chupaca says the Spyderpops stone guard does the trick on normal gravel, stone chip etc.

Once you've got the belt guard fitted all you have to be careful of is very fresh tar and chip, by fresh I mean the tar has just been laid and is still hot and sticky. What happens then is the tar helps the chips stick to the tires and they shower everywhere . In that situation the worst is actually front left tire as that comes back towards the belt and of course the tar helps the chips stick to that as well. I'm the third rider I'm aware of in NZ who's damaged a belt after hitting that stuff.

Spyder Garage

I ride on them, harder than most people should and have been fine and I don't have a top belt guard, I did get a rock thru the first belt I had but it held up until I had my front pulley bolt break.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can ride on pretty near any surface worth riding on; as long as you don't kick something up to where it gets grabbed by the belt.
    Take your time across that first and least piece of each trip, and you'll be fine. Spyderpop's belt guard would also help, and probably give you some peace of mind as well.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Gravel Roads

Although I don't do it everyday, when it is necessary, I find traveling slower workst to keep the gravel where it belongs, on the ground and not in the bike belt track... Just sayin... Unfortunately, hot tar is just a mess...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have to ride 3 1/2 miles of dirt road each time I leave the house just to get to the paved roads. I had the same question, but since there is no choice in the matter, I just take it a bit slower and watch where I go.

Spyder Garage

I've been driving on a 1/2 mile gravel drive for 2 years and have had no problem.
    I keep the speed under about 10 mph.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Spyder Garage

Harley's have had the same exact belt for decades. Why are they not concerned?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I believe the Harley rear sprocket run between 125 to 140 teeth whereas the Spyder has half that number. That makes it easier for a piece of gravel to lodge itself into the teeth as the spaces are wider.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Just go extremely slow.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I believe the Harley rear sprocket run between 125 to 140 teeth whereas the Spyder has half that number. That makes it easier for a piece of gravel to lodge itself into the teeth as the spaces are wider.
    Harley rear sprocket is around 65 -70 tooth on rear sprockets..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyone riding a "Belt-Bike", who isn't aware of this potential issue... WILL BE!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Maybe we're just smarter!

All kidding aside, because of TWO wheels, we tend to travel SLOWLY on gravel so as to not kick the stuff up.
    I notice the Harley Trikes go faster and there's allows a cut storm behind them.

I've taken the Spyder on gravel - no problems. If you start to hear the sound of gravel hitting the underside, just slow down.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

My driveway is about 800 ft long. All gravel. I've never had an issue. Your results may vary...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    As Chupaca says the Spyderpops stone guard does the trick on normal gravel, stone chip etc.

Once you've got the belt guard fitted all you have to be careful of is very fresh tar and chip, by fresh I mean the tar has just been laid and is still hot and sticky. What happens then is the tar helps the chips stick to the tires and they shower everywhere . In that situation the worst is actually front left tire as that comes back towards the belt and of course the tar helps the chips stick to that as well. I'm the third rider I'm aware of in NZ who's damaged a belt after hitting that stuff.
    I hate it when they chip seal (hot tar and rock chips) a road here. It is a very common practice in Utah and in rural Utah there is often no other way you can go except over the fresh chip seal. Will Spyderpops missing belt guard work with the Rivco belt tension device?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Out of nearly 100,000 Spyder miles since 2007 I would guess that 1,000 of them have been on gravel roads in Minnesota. I generally slow down some, but not to a crawl. Often times it is 50 mph for miles on end. To be fair, I did have to replace one belt, but that was damaged due to hot tar patches and chunks of tar getting stuck on the big sprocket. Yes it is a concern, but just slow down and be smart about it to minimize any paint chipping and rocks getting stuck in the sprocket/belt. The dust is more of a concern, kills the air filter far quicker.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I hate it when they chip seal (hot tar and rock chips) a road here. It is a very common practice in Utah and in rural Utah there is often no other way you can go except over the fresh chip seal.
    It's getting to be a common practice all around the country. It's been proven to be very cost effective way to extend the life of asphalt pavement.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    It's getting to be a common practice all around the country. It's been proven to be very cost effective way to extend the life of asphalt pavement.
    I had to remove a chunk of tar gravel stuff from my rear sprocket. So stuff happens every where.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Agreed. They call it "seal coating" up here. They first spray a hot oil/tar layer then cover it in pea-rock, let it get packed in and then come back later and sweep up the un-stuck pea rock. Typically it is most effective if done one year after the pavement is laid down. Something about helping to keep the oil content in the pavement.

But that is less of an issue than the 100% hot tar pot hole repairs we have to deal with due to the freeze-thaw cycles. They come along with a truck load of hot mix asphalt and fill the craters in the pavement with hot tar and pack it down. If you should come across the repair sites that day, your tires pick up some chunks and it is hell on the belt, sprockets, wheels, the guy behind you. I will flat out turn around when I find roads that are getting repaired that day. WD-40 is a cheap tar remover, spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes, loosens up the tar bond and it wipes right off, cheap.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We also keep an eye on the Road "Repairs" up here, and I will always avoid sections that have just been chip-sealed; even with my Jeep! We normally give it two days to get a stabilized surface, but I wait an extra day for the bike!
    Besides; the detours around the mess normally just ends up adding time and mileage to any ride!