Spyder Garage

Default 1000 miles now have questions.

Greetings all.
    I purchased a 2015 RT special edition in late May. I have not changed a thing as far as set up goes. Shocks tire pressure etc are all as when I picked it up. After my first 1000 miles my only question / concern is the handling thru the twisty roads. I feel as though I am fighting it in the curves. I have a light touch on the grips relaxed body position. Looking for some advise from the pro's as to set up etc. Keeping in mind it might just be me. Thanks in advance...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We recently had someone describe what seems like a very effective way to approach cornering...
    It's like skiing!
    Weight on the outside foot, and lean to the inside!
    See if that helps.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by medict View Post
    Greetings all.
    I purchased a 2015 RT special edition in late May. I have not changed a thing as far as set up goes. Shocks tire pressure etc are all as when I picked it up. After my first 1000 miles my only question / concern is the handling thru the twisty roads. I feel as though I am fighting it in the curves. I have a light touch on the grips relaxed body position. Looking for some advise from the pro's as to set up etc. Keeping in mind it might just be me. Thanks in advance...
    Have you had a laser alignment yet? We had both our 's done last week. Her 2011 and my 2014. The handling was much improved. Yesterday we did the "twisty test." No more fighting it in the curves.

You are following the suggestions that I put out quite often. I watched four alignments. None of the four were within specs. I have been silent on the laser alignment subject for a couple years--but I am a believer now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

many ryders many styles good advise above. I will apply pressure to the foot on the inside of a turn and drop the elbow on the opposite side to be perpendicular with the bars. This is more comfortable for pushing the bars into the turn less pressure on the shoulders. The leaning I just adjust for the angle of the turn. This is my way but you will find what works best for you. Just takes a little time...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Right after I picked mine up last month, I took her up the infamous 89a in Arizona ( 158 curves in 12 miles ). She handled the twisties ok, but I did get that wierd feeling of her not really hugging the road, and acting a bit squiggly. I went back again after getting the BajaRon sway bar installed, and it was a completely different ride. A combination of my being more used to the weird inertia of the Spyder (after 38 years on two wheels), and the sway bar made a huge difference.

I'm taking her in for her 3,000 mile service next week.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT Special Edition

Greetings all.
    Most of the time it is tire pressure. But I have a 2011 RT and I changed the shocks and sway Bar, made a world of differnts. I have heard the made some changes on the newer models, I don't know if that was one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2011RTBlue View Post
    Most of the time it is tire pressure. But I have a 2011 RT and I changed the shocks and sway Bar, made a world of differnts. I have heard the made some changes on the newer models, I don't know if that was one.

Spyder Garage

BajaRon Sway Bar and Aluminum Links along with a laser alignment is the answer!

AJ

Greetings all.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Greetings all.
    Check tire pressure!

Spyder Garage

Default Ride

Greetings all.
    Four Words...Bajaron swaybar...Laser Alignment!!!! Gotta have em

Spyder Garage

Just because you haven't changed the tire pressure doesn't mean it was right to begin with.. Many dealers sell bikes with uninflated tires since they haven't paid attention when BRP sent out a memo increasing the inflation recommendations for the front tires , plus surprisingly enough these tires lose pressure even when ridden a fair amount. Under inflated front tires cause the tire to roll up on side wall and makes for lousy handling.. of course sway bars and laser alignments are great but I always start with the simple stuff first.. add 5 lbs of pressure to front tires and try it again...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NAILED IT

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Just because you haven't changed the tire pressure doesn't mean it was right to begin with.. Many dealers sell bikes with uninflated tires since they haven't paid attention when BRP sent out a memo increasing the inflation recommendations for the front tires , plus surprisingly enough these tires lose pressure even when ridden a fair amount. Under inflated front tires cause the tire to roll up on side wall and makes for lousy handling.. of course sway bars and laser alignments are great but I always start with the simple stuff first.. add 5 lbs of pressure to front tires and try it again...
    ..............PLUS .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Check tire pressure, when I picked up my 15 RTS the dealer had fronts set at 12.5 psi. Rear at 23 psi. They claim it has a better ride. I set pressures at factory specs and it handles way better.

Spyder Garage

While the stiffer sway bar helped reduce sway of the frame due to centrifugal forces during the turn, the single most dramatic improvement in my Spyder's handling occurred after having a laser alignment performed. Prior to the alignment, I felt like the bike and I struggled to find the "right" line through turns. After the alignment, the bike tracks consistently and much better.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down OMG !

Seven years of Spyders and Can Am still feels like proper alignment is an option. If they don't give enough of a damn, the dealer should verify alignment before delivery. Correct alignment should not be an option.

Spyder Garage

Default Laser time

Have had a pull to the right since day #1. Dealer has helped, tire psi, balance etc. Finall put a bajaron brace and links on. Now have my unit in for a laser alignment. Anyone have a cost range for this service of a laser alignment?
    dukeblue48
    tom s.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They seem to run about $100 to $125... your mileage may vary!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tire pressure is important to good handling. I run 25 front and 30 rear. I ride solo and like a firm ride. You can put in 25, ride a while, lower it 2 # and ride some more...find your own sweet spot and enjoy. I had a sway bar on my 2011 RT-S but could not tell a lot of difference. Mr. Cognac is stock and I doubt I will get a sway bar....doing fine as is.

Last edited by Mr. White; 07-15-2015 at 08:35 AM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.