Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Doc H's Blind Spot Mirrors

Got a set and they came in Saturday. Do the Doc's blind spot mirrors attach to the black outside frame of the mirror or stick to the bottom/left corner of the mirror surface? The blind spot mirrors come with velcro and also have a self-stick pad already installed. I am prone to use the self stick pad as I can think of no reason I would remove the mirrors, once installed but was wondering what others did. Pse... could use your input! Thanks wg
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

They sell those little fish eye mirrors at most auto parts stores for a couple of bucks. That's where I got mine.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We used the adhesive backing on the black edge over a year ago and it is still holding. Need to take care putting on and taking off any covers that go over the mirror.

Spyder Garage

Default Actual Picture

Here is an actual picture I took of a car that was beside me. I was unable to see it in my peripheral vision and it was hidden from the main mirror. The neat thing about these is that you teach yourself to glance at the small mirror before changing lanes. It has saved my bacon several times. (note: the white car in the big mirror is not the one in the small mirror) They sell cheaper ones just about everywhere, but these are adjustable, are just the right size, and have the shaved curved corner that allows more of the big mirror to be used. That is why I use them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 07-13-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Got a set and they came in Saturday. Do the Doc's blind spot mirrors attach to the black outside frame of the mirror or stick to the bottom/left corner of the mirror surface? The blind spot mirrors come with velcro and also have a self-stick pad already installed. I am prone to use the self stick pad as I can think of no reason I would remove the mirrors, once installed but was wondering what others did. Pse... could use your input! Thanks wg
    How much are they?

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post

Here is an actual picture I took of a car that was beside me. I was unable to see it in my peripheral vision and it was hidden from the main mirror. The neat thing about these is that you teach yourself to glance at the small mirror before changing lanes. It has saved my bacon several times. (note: the white car in the big mirror is not the one in the small mirror) They sell cheaper ones just about everywhere, but these are adjustable, are just the right size, and have the shaved curved corner that allows more of the big mirror to be used. That is why I use them.
    How much are they? Where do you get them?

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    How much are they? Where do you get them?

Pam
    Pam, You can get a nifty set of convex mirrors at the auto parts store. They obscure the part of the mirror they are mounted on. To me, if I had more experience with convex mirrors they might not be bad but the little ones are hard to make out what is behind you. The thing about Doc's mirrors he didn't mention is that they articulate. In other words, stick em on and they MOVE inside their frame for lining up precisely to the rear.

The pics he has on his website are not the best and I wanted to be SURE where to put them before making them a permanent part of my rear view mirror set up. They are sold on Doc's website which you can get to by pushing the HOME button on this site.... that is where all the site' sponsors are located. As far as cost... well all things designed to work specifically for a Spyder cost too much. Generic/universal is MUCH cheaper only that stuff doesn't work worth a hoot in many cases... like your auto-parts store convex mirrors.

I can't believe that Can-Am engineers couldn't have made the mirrors; especially the left, stick out 4 more inches. The view of my clutch lever and my wife's elbow and armrest aren't all that helpful as the mirrors set up now and I really am uncomfortable not having a clear view to the rear. There are times when a head on a swivel doesn't work all that great and a good mirror is far better. I am hoping Doc's mirrors fix this safety issue or at least minimize it!

Haven't put my add-on mirrors on yet but this is a shot of my left rear view sitting in my garage. About 1/2 the area to the rear is obscured by my hand and clutch lever.

Last edited by wiredgeorge; 07-13-2015 at 12:01 PM.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Pam, You can get a nifty set of convex mirrors at the auto parts store. <snip>
    Yeah, I mentioned that a few posts above

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default blind spots

i have the mirror bar extensions, work great, had them 5 years now don,t remember how much

Spyder Garage

Pam, You can get a nifty set of convex mirrors at the auto parts store. They obscure the part of the mirror they are mounted on. To me, if I had more experience with convex mirrors they might not be bad but the little ones are hard to make out what is behind you. The thing about Doc's mirrors he didn't mention is that they articulate. In other words, stick em on and they MOVE inside their frame for lining up precisely to the rear.

The pics he has on his website are not the best and I wanted to be SURE where to put them before making them a permanent part of my rear view mirror set up. They are sold on Doc's website which you can get to by pushing the HOME button on this site.... that is where all the site' sponsors are located. As far as cost... well all things designed to work specifically for a Spyder cost too much. Generic/universal is MUCH cheaper only that stuff doesn't work worth a hoot in many cases... like your auto-parts store convex mirrors.

I can't believe that Can-Am engineers couldn't have made the mirrors; especially the left, stick out 4 more inches. The view of my clutch lever and my wife's elbow and armrest aren't all that helpful as the mirrors set up now and I really am uncomfortable not having a clear view to the rear. There are times when a head on a swivel doesn't work all that great and a good mirror is far better. I am hoping Doc's mirrors fix this safety issue or at least minimize it!

Haven't put my add-on mirrors on yet but this is a shot of my left rear view sitting in my garage. About 1/2 the area to the rear is obscured by my hand and clutch lever.

My RT mirror goes a lot farther out than that. Push on the outside edge harder. I have mine adjusted so you can barely see the rear sides and the handle just barely at the right edge near the bike.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    My RT mirror goes a lot farther out than that. Push on the outside edge harder. I have mine adjusted so you can barely see the rear sides and the handle just barely at the right edge near the bike.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are sold on Doc's website which you can get to by pushing the HOME button on this site.... that is where all the site' sponsors are located.
    How about a hint? I see no Doc Humphrey's listed as a sponsor. What's his sponsor/business name?

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy_100 View Post
    How about a hint? I see no Doc Humphrey's listed as a sponsor. What's his sponsor/business name?
    Sorry. We are Roadster Renovations!

http://dochumphreys.wix.com/roadster

Spyder Garage

Default Don't take the mirrors for granted

Don't rely on mirrors to protect your hide! Do what they taught you at your MSF course---TURN YOUR HEAD AND LOOK WITH YOUR OWN TWO EYES! Mirrors can be helpful but you looking at what is around you is what will be most important!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Default blind spot mirrors

Consider Saeng TA mirrors. I have used them on my machines for almost 20 years...no blind spots at all. They aren't cheap, but I think I'm worth something!

Spyder Garage

Installed two from the .99 cent store, just have a blue tint. Works great.

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Hey, I got a pair of those funny shaped mirrors from amazon two weeks ago. Jury is still out. Takes too much time and a little distracting with these seventy five year old eyes. I find myself trying to find cars in a two square inch mirror that is stuck way out on the end of the OEM mirrors. Maybe I will give it a little more time or just take them off. No big monetary loss.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Hey, I got a pair of those funny shaped mirrors from amazon two weeks ago. Jury is still out. Takes too much time and a little distracting with these seventy five year old eyes. I find myself trying to find cars in a two square inch mirror that is stuck way out on the end of the OEM mirrors. Maybe I will give it a little more time or just take them off. No big monetary loss.

Jack
    I took a while for me to get used to them. Don't focus on the small mirror. Learn to glance at them. You will get used to it when something is there in no time. I installed mine last year before we took the New England trip. (14 States 4400 miles 11 days) It took a few days to get used to not trying to focus on them. I glance at both mirrors and can recognize when something is there that shouldn't be. My right eye was 20/400 at that time and I was still able to use it so I think if you give it more time and glance generally (don't focus) you will do fine.

Spyder Garage

Default mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    How much are they?

Pam
    Push them out so you have to move your head a little to see rear cargo.....duh...no blind spot!!!!!

Spyder Garage

To answer the OPs question, they are better on the inside top, IMO blocks less. You do get use to using them.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My blind spot remover on my F3-S.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    My blind spot remover on my F3-S.
    Nice, but how well on curves since you are moving the handlebars?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My main concern was cars passing me on the interstate. Works very well, and surprisingly, no vibration. I use the stock mirrors for seeing behind me and only use the bar end mirror for looking into the passing lane. Saved my butt twice on a trip to Nashville.