Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Discount Tire DOES NOT want your business

Hi all,

Interesting developments at Discount Tire when ordering a new Kumho for the fat end.
    I have bought many tires from Discount Tires over the years for many cages and for two Spyders.
    I placed an order around July 1st using their eBay website connection and the ordering system had this new form where they require a potential buyer to meet their terms of "fitment" by confirming the make and model that you will use your tire on.

I though this was ridiculous since they are not mounting it and Can Am will have nothing to do with it anyway so its on me as it should be. The last time I checked I live in the USA and if I want make a planter out of it or wear it around my neck it is none of their business.

So I finally call today since it is way over do and lo and behold the rep tells me they will not send it without "correct fitment information". I mentioned that I order my last Kumho from them before and they were not as concerned about "fitment" then.
    I suppose I could have lied and typed in a cage that used the Kumhos to provide acceptable "fitment" but I don't really want to since I do not want the tire from them if they insist on prying, they do not deserve the business. They of course kept my money until now and I wonder how long they were going to wait to tell me?

So the moral of the story is Discount Tire does not want your business.
    I already have an appointment to mount the tire that will now probably have to be moved.

Best,
    Y

Spyder Garage

Play the game order on the net. Vec. 70 VW Dune Buggy
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or a 2004 Toyota Tacoma Base model: 2wd...
    Or just say that it's for a project Mustang: everybody should have one of them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

81 honda civic with coustom rims .
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Does Discount Tire only require that info when ordering a Kumho?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE ORDERING BS

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Does Discount Tire only require that info when ordering a Kumho?
    ......If so ( above ) then just order the tire of your choice in this size 215/60-15.....it will work for ALL RT's any year......Mike

Spyder Garage

I would guess the answer is they want your money, but not a huge lawsuit. someplace in all this paperwork, many tires are only authorized for use on certain vehicles or not authorized for use on some vehicles.
    I have heard of several lawsuits over using car tires on Gold wings ( a super huge controversy). Bike owner sued the tire companies for tire failure and crashes. Tire company claimed not our fault, it said, car tire not motorcycle.
    No idea of details, but certain car tires can not be mounted on certain car rims, for "safety reasons"
    Several years ago, no idea how long, Ford and I think Goodyear, (but could have been Goodrich or somebody else) Were having lots of roll over crashes with their big Ford Explorer SUV. Several fatal crashes. Many lawsuits blaming the tire company/unsuited for this vehicle , Ford for putting the wrong tire on this vehicle and/or faulty suspension. Improper air pressure. Big deal and big bucks for a couple years.
    added
    Received a message from a SL member and now that he said it, I believe he is right. the tire company probably was Firestone with the fords
    Last edited by Oldmanzues; 07-13-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added information
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I have been having this problem for a while now up here as well. I have 16" on my civic and I run 15" for winter tires because they are cheaper. Most places will not sell me the 15" because the computer says my model of civic uses 16". I just go to the smaller sellers because they don't care what you are putting them on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I have been having this problem for a while now up here as well. I have 16" on my civic and I run 15" for winter tires because they are cheaper. Most places will not sell me the 15" because the computer says my model of civic uses 16". I just go to the smaller sellers because they don't care what you are putting them on.
    Just curious as to how a 15" tire can go on a 16" rim?
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Default Tyre experts

I have been on the dark side on Goldwings over 150,000 miles. No death by fire just stupid deer. Most tyre experts or on the dole to the tyre companies or a national club or monthly rag. Thanks, now I feel better!
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default The land of suits...

sad that it comes to this. Too many people will not take responsibilty for their actions and too many lawyers are ready to sue whomever for their clients stupidity. I see their point and they may have already suffered form someone blaming them for some mishap. So the only solution seems to be to order it for some vehicle you don't have, use it as you wish and they are covered.

Is this the only place that sells this tire..?? If sold elsewhere do they give you this kind of problems..?? Jmo... I don't use car tires but will defend your right to do so...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Ya, I guess I should have mentioned that I have 15" rims for the winter tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    It takes a REALLY talented tire guy, and some pretty big tire irons!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand why they won't sell you the tire but have no problem selling that size in a falken stretching it onto
    a 8.5"-10" wide wheel which is dangerous.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I would guess the answer is they want your money, but not a huge lawsuit. someplace in all this paperwork, many tires are only authorized for use on certain vehicles or not authorized for use on some vehicles.
    I have heard of several lawsuits over using car tires on Gold wings ( a super huge controversy). Bike owner sued the tire companies for tire failure and crashes. Tire company claimed not our fault, it said, car tire not motorcycle.
    No idea of details, but certain car tires can not be mounted on certain car rims, for "safety reasons"
    Several years ago, no idea how long, Ford and I think Goodyear, (but could have been Goodrich or somebody else) Were having lots of roll over crashes with their big Ford Explorer SUV. Several fatal crashes. Many lawsuits blaming the tire company/unsuited for this vehicle , Ford for putting the wrong tire on this vehicle and/or faulty suspension. Improper air pressure. Big deal and big bucks for a couple years.
    added
    Received a message from a SL member and now that he said it, I believe he is right. the tire company probably was Firestone with the fords
    the company was FIRESTONE... and the actual story was Firestone decided to cut corners on making tires... the tires came apart & they killed people, not because of incorrect fitment on vehicles... simply defective tires.. ... Ford and a couple of new car makers quit installing Firestone tires on their new cars & trucks... Ford does not install Firestone tires anymore on their vehicles..
    I bought a new 2002 Ford F150 with Firestone tires on it... Ford sent me a recall letter which stated I should take my 2002 F150 to the dealership and they would install either Michelin, Goodyear or B.F. Goodrich tires for free.. Ford paid for Firestone's screw up..
    I won't ever buy another Firestone tire...

osm

Spyder Garage

"Ford and I think Goodyear, (but could have been Goodrich or somebody else) Were having lots of roll over crashes with their big Ford Explorer SUV. Several fatal crashes. Many lawsuits blaming the tire company/unsuited for this vehicle , Ford for putting the wrong tire on this vehicle and/or faulty suspension. Improper air pressure. Big deal and big bucks for a couple years."

Actually it Bridgestone/Firestone( one owns the other). I have a nephew with TBI because of those faulty tires. As to buying tires I just went down to the tire store locally gave him the size I needed he gave me several choices and prices. They were close enough that I will go with him.I have done business with them for years and they always treat me well. Braiden says he has 3 different type mounting machines so we will figure out some way to mount as well. I'll just take him my wheel and see what he needs from there. having local people you can work with is a real plus.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    "Ford and I think Goodyear, (but could have been Goodrich or somebody else) Were having lots of roll over crashes with their big Ford Explorer SUV. Several fatal crashes. Many lawsuits blaming the tire company/unsuited for this vehicle , Ford for putting the wrong tire on this vehicle and/or faulty suspension. Improper air pressure. Big deal and big bucks for a couple years."

Actually it Bridgestone/Firestone( one owns the other). I have a nephew with TBI because of those faulty tires. As to buying tires I just went down to the tire store locally gave him the size I needed he gave me several choices and prices. They were close enough that I will go with him.I have done business with them for years and they always treat me well. Braiden says he has 3 different type mounting machines so we will figure out some way to mount as well. I'll just take him my wheel and see what he needs from there. having local people you can work with is a real plus.
    ford/firestone had their rollover problem with the explorer which started it all & is the instigator for mandatory tpms, others have
    had problems but not on that level.

Spyder Garage

The extra information on the paperwork is all CYA from lawsuits.

Next time you go for fast food and buy coffee--you will note that there is a warning on your cup that it is hot and can burn you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    As a fervent darksider I am always looking for problems with my choice to make sure that I am not at risk. Please back up your statement with specifics such as parties involved, Court citations, newspaper articles, or anything else of substance. Or is it the case that your brother's son in-law's uncle by marriage was at a Honda dealership and overheard a conversation where a friend of a friend heard of it in some random newspaper?
    Or did you see it on the internet, so it must be true?
    To date there have been no documented cases of insurance refusals, accidents as the result of car tire failure on a motorcycle, lawsuits, or any laws in the US that prevent the use of a CT on a motorcycle, and believe me, there are boards where this has been debated long and hard to the point of being ridiculous.

Spyder Garage

I just called the local Discount Tire and ordered my Yokohama S-Drive. When the tire came in they called me. I brought the Spyder rim to them and they mounted the tire. No fuss. Better quality made in USA tire.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tales From The Dark Side...

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

There must be hundreds of threads about the Kuhmo and discount tire do a search
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes, but...

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Try Tire Pros

I have a friend who owns a Tire Pros franchise up in Gresham Oregon. I copied this post to him to see what his reaction would be if someone wanted to buy a car tire for their Spyder.

His response: "Hell no, I never turn down money!"

He's coming to visit us in September and he says he will go with me to the local Tire Pros and take care of it.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I just keep a lookout for some whackadoodle legislator or judge to change the rules. That is why I always ask for confirmation, or at least some crumb of information when someone makes a claim to make sure it has not happened. So far it has always been a rumor of a rumor usually started by someone with an agenda.