Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can-Am License

Spyder Garage

Default Box maneuver

Quote Originally Posted by Brettssunshine View Post
    Wow, that's a nice, short class. In PA, all of the safety courses are free. The 2 wheel class provides the motorcycle and helmet for you but in the 3 wheel class, you have to provide the motorcycle. The two wheel course is 8 hours of classroom with a written test and 10 hours of riding drills with a riding test at the end which includes the dreaded "box" maneuver.
    What is the box maneuver?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Irresponsible!

I am absoultely appalled that there are states that don't require motorcycle endorsements!

Hurling down the road at 70 mph while sitting on a saddle and holding on to handlebars is quite different from driving a car. The skills and knowledge needed are different. It doesn't matter if you are on 2 or 3 wheels, the risk is the same, and the extra skills needed are vital. The reason for the motorcycle endorsement is to ensure that you have an understanding of the many skills needed to operate safely. Those states that allow people to just hop onto a motorcycle or a trike without passing a motorcycle skills test are irresponsible IMO.

Even if you live in one of those irresponsible states, you should spend the couple of hundred dollars to take a MSF approved motorcycle course. It could save your life.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    You enter a painted box at low speed and turn a slow figure-8 without touching the ground with your feet, or letting a tire go outside the box. (Useful for 2-wheel testing only.)
    And the box is only 4x8 feet!

No, just kidding, it's probably more like 10x20 feet... but it's still quite difficult. I managed it twice during practice exercises but failed in the final test, due to excessive "lash" in the driveline of the (furnished) 125cc Kawasaki. The rough, back-and-forth bucking of this lash made me get outside the box a little bit on one of the turns.
    But I passed the overall test OK.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Depending on what you're riding you may or may not need a special endorsement.

If you have a… You…
    2-wheel motorcycle or scooter that:
    • Is larger than 50cc
    • or
    • Can go faster than 30 mph
    Need a 2-wheel endorsement
    2-wheel motorcycle or scooter that:
    • Is 50cc or smaller
    • and
    • Has a maximum speed of 30 mph
    Don’t need an endorsement
    2-wheel motorcycle or scooter with a stabilizing conversion kit installed. Need a 3-wheel endorsement
    Motorcycle with a sidecar Need a 3-wheel endorsement
    3-wheel trike Need a 3-wheel endorsement
    3-wheel vehicle with a seating area, safety belts, and a steering wheel Don’t need an endorsement
    Washington rules look similar to Virginia. Do they offer 3-wheel classes?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    Here is Ohio, if you have a two wheel license, it will allow you to ryde a three wheel vehicle. But if you get a three wheel license it will not allow you to ryde a two wheel vehicle. GWRRA in Ohio has a three wheel or Trike class, which cost $30 and is a one day class, 4 hour class and 4 hour parking lot drill.
    I think the lady in my class already had a two-wheel license, but she just wanted to take a 3-wheel class to get some knowledge/experience.

Spyder Garage

I have a motorcycle enforcement but in south carolina to drive a canam spyder all you need is a motor vehicle license.

Spyder Garage

I took the Apex class in Woodbridge VA in July of 2013.

I already had my license, but it had been so many years since I rode, that I thought a class would be a good idea.

I learned a lot from the class, and feel the cost of the class plus the three nights at the Hampton Inn in Woodbridge was well worth the expense.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

It is being able to perform the figure 8 on your 2 wheel motorcycle within a lined box slightly larger than 2 parking spaces.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I took the Apex class in Woodbridge VA in July of 2013.

I already had my license, but it had been so many years since I rode, that I thought a class would be a good idea.

I learned a lot from the class, and feel the cost of the class plus the three nights at the Hampton Inn in Woodbridge was well worth the expense.
    Cool. I have rode by and saw people taking the class in the mall parking lot.

Spyder Garage

Washington State requires the 3wheeled license to be it's own and we have quite a few companies offering (Or at least we did when we got our license) throughout the year that offered classes and testing...
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalsh View Post
    in NY if you take test on a 3 wheel motorcycle then they give you a 3 wheel only restriction and there arent any can am only classes around and i am not sure if MSF offers the class to them ??
    In Vermont I took a motorcycle coarse, it was on the week day ( Friday night written test, Sat. / Sunday driving, and it rained ) I rode 2 wheeled motorcycles that they provided, passed, then bought a 2012 RTS-SE5 took the driving test passed, and got my license.

When I went to take the driving test with my can am spyder, I was the last one to go, the other people had 2 wheeled motorcycles.

I got a M endorsement on my license and I also have a 3 wheel Restriction Card that Must carry with me at all times. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 07-13-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I am absoultely appalled that there are states that don't require motorcycle endorsements!

Hurling down the road at 70 mph while sitting on a saddle and holding on to handlebars is quite different from driving a car. The skills and knowledge needed are different. It doesn't matter if you are on 2 or 3 wheels, the risk is the same, and the extra skills needed are vital. The reason for the motorcycle endorsement is to ensure that you have an understanding of the many skills needed to operate safely. Those states that allow people to just hop onto a motorcycle or a trike without passing a motorcycle skills test are irresponsible IMO.

Even if you live in one of those irresponsible states, you should spend the couple of hundred dollars to take a MSF approved motorcycle course. It could save your life.

Pam

I disagree, how do you know what people's abilities are?

DMV testing should weed out who can or cannot handle it, just like a car license.

And as w a car license, people hone their skills over time.

Ive driven/ridden all types of vehicle over the last almost 35 years and found myself very capable of driving a Spyder. I'm sure there are others just as capable.

Testing...of course.

Forced to take a course?...no

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post

DMV testing should weed out who can or cannot handle it, just like a car license.

Ive driven/ridden all types of vehicle over the last almost 35 years and found myself very capable of driving a Spyder. I'm sure there are others just as capable.

Testing...of course.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Testing...of course.

Not forced to take a course. Just take a motorcycle safety and skills test. If you're as good as you say you are, you don't need to worry about passing it. Here in Arizona they don't require that you take a course, just pass the test to get an endoresment.

A class never hurt anyone though. I've taken several advanced classes just to be as good as I possibly can. You can learn a lot in those classes. Well worth the money.

I just can't believe any state would just let people buy a motorcycle and go play in traffic without any skills. I'm appalled.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I see people on new bikes all the time that don't have a clue. In our state they make a licensed driver ride NEXT TO OR NEAR YOU if you're on your learners permit. Now that's just crazy lol

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got my Learners Permit on a Wednesday, bought my Spyder on Saturday. Riding two and a half hours home on the interstate was the first time I had ever been on a bike. Got my license on Tuesday. Start to finish 7 days total. When taking the license test, the examiner had never given a test to anyone on a Spyder and didn't have a clue how to test me. He started laying out the cones about 4 feet apart and I looked at him like, are you kidding me. He finally picked them up and tried to do the test. I was able to do about half the normal test, and that was it.

Riding the Spyder felt very natural to me and I didn't have any problems. If you feel you need to take a course, by all means, take one. But having some basic logic abilities is all I feel you really need. I can kick most motorcyclists that I ride with a#@ on the twisties, and I didn't need a course to teach me that.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Well, that's kinda the whole point. Much safer to take the MSI course...and that does a darned good job of weeding out people who shouldn't be on bikes before they kill themselves or someone else.

IMHO.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I have a motorcycle endorsement left over from my two wheel days. But Nevada just passed a new law that sypders not longer need to have a motorcycle endorsement. Just a regular driver license is required. Also with this new law riders of sypders do not have to wear helmets. This all went into effect on may 15, 2015.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I got my Learners Permit on a Wednesday, bought my Spyder on Saturday. Riding two and a half hours home on the interstate was the first time I had ever been on a bike. Got my license on Tuesday. Start to finish 7 days total. When taking the license test, the examiner had never given a test to anyone on a Spyder and didn't have a clue how to test me. He started laying out the cones about 4 feet apart and I looked at him like, are you kidding me. He finally picked them up and tried to do the test. I was able to do about half the normal test, and that was it.

Riding the Spyder felt very natural to me and I didn't have any problems. If you feel you need to take a course, by all means, take one. But having some basic logic abilities is all I feel you really need. I can kick most motorcyclists that I ride with a#@ on the twisties, and I didn't need a course to teach me that.
    In Va , you have to hold your learners permit 30 days before DMV lets you take the test.

I was also the first to take the new 3 wheel course in our area and the lady had no clue.

Also, they use to do the driving part at our local DMVs but there isn't enough room for a Spyder so they have a central location for this now...and its 40 mins away!

I was a little worried going there because I was supposed to follow a licensed rider there...like I knew another rider? Nothing was ever said though.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In NC, permit allows you do ride anywhere, at anytime, as long as you don't ride 2 up. I was surprised but I wasnt complaining. I actually passed the driver test before i had gotten my permit in the mail.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default NC Training course

Hey !!! New to the forum - new Spyder owner.....New cycle "driver"....always a "rider"......Would love to find a course where I could learn about the bike and get my motorcycle endorsement license....I have my permit and have been "practicing" on rural roads......does anyone know of such a course in NC ?

Spyder Garage

After having the Spyder for three months, the wife now wants to learn to ride. She never had an interest on two wheels, she was happy being a passenger. I checked into a safety course for her, which Arizona now has a three wheel course. The two wheel course is $289.00, runs 16 hours, and they supply the motorcycle. The three wheel course is $489.00, runs 12 hours, and you have to supply your own bike. The math doesn't add up in my head. I am sending her to the two wheel course and then I will assist her on the Spyder. If she loves it I may have to go out and buy another one for me, poor me! F3?
    2013 RT Limited
    Tucson, AZ

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I sense that the infestation in your garage may be growing...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Two is good..... We have two Spyders and a two wheeler.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Here in Arizona you need a motorcycle endoresement to ride a trike or a Spyder. If it was up to me, a few years of motorcycle riding experience should be required first, but that's just me.

Pam
    Hawaii is the same and I couldn't agree more with you last statement.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!