Spyder Garage

Default Acceleration Downshift

Learn things every day on my
    I found that the SE5 transmission will downshift on acceleration as well as deceleration. Its called your passing gear. I just have been noticing this the more aggressive I get, I can just give it gas and it will downshift. It did it twice today on just a trip to the store.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

So if your bogging it will downshift automatically..?? Thats interesting. Have not heard mention of this here..but good to know..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

i have tried to get it to do it and never had it downshift. did it manually
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    So if your bogging it will downshift automatically..?? Thats interesting. Have not heard mention of this here..but good to know..
    Its done it with me before when I turn the corner on my street, which is a slight Y turn where I decel from about 65 to a slight turn and give it gas to 45 . I thought, did it just downshift by itself? Normally It would downshift on decel at real low rpm's. This is not the same. It's not a bogging downshift per say, I dont know if I can make it do it all the time either. Its a "lets go" downshift. I normally downshift myself, but just a few times I gave it gas in a lower rpm and it downshifted for me.
    I have also never read here that it does that nor have I read it in the owners manual. I started this thread to see if any one else has seen this.
    Last edited by AY4B; 07-12-2015 at 06:05 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Yes, it will do these shifts. I believe the computer takes in various parameters and if applicable will accomplish the downshift. Probably looks at rpm, gear selected, speed, and throttle position. Kind of like the computer letting you get what you desire without damaging the engine.

I would not exactly call it a passing gear. I have tried it on the highway @ 70 plus to get around other vehicles. Even at full throttle, it simply built rpm slowly while in 6. Not sure how I feel about downshift at that speed without having a manual clutch to feed power back in smoothly.

PK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Yes, it will do these shifts. I believe the computer takes in various parameters and if applicable will accomplish the downshift. Probably looks at rpm, gear selected, speed, and throttle position. Kind of like the computer letting you get what you desire without damaging the engine.

I would not exactly call it a passing gear. I have tried it on the highway @ 70 plus to get around other vehicles. Even at full throttle, it simply built rpm slowly while in 6. Not sure how I feel about downshift at that speed without having a manual clutch to feed power back in smoothly.

PK
    Exactly, The conditions have to be just right for it to do it.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

None of the Spyders I have had (2012/2014 RT) or currently have (2014 ST/2015 F3), have ever done this. I would keep an eye on it. Also, have it put on BUDS just to double check. May be an early sign of something.

Spyder Garage

I think most won't even realize it did this, sorta just feels like a quick rpm change not realizing it was a gear change.

Spyder Garage

Ill keep monitoring it and report back. Going for a ride now.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I have had this happen a few times, but only during a slow tight turn when I first got the Spyder and before the BajaRon sway bar and links upgrade. I was in 2nd gear and it down shifted just as I twisted the throttle to accelerate out of the turn. I have not noticed it since, but I also corner much more aggressively now since the sway bar change. So much more fun!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My STL will shift down during acceleration if I am running at a lower RPM this keeps you from bogging the engine
    I try to run at the proper higher RPM but once in a while I space out and forget to down shift when I should have so the computer takes over and down shifts for you as you crank the throttle.
    this has happened a few more times than I care to admit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck gross View Post
    My STL will shift down during acceleration if I am running at a lower RPM this keeps you from bogging the engine
    I try to run at the proper higher RPM but once in a while I space out and forget to down shift when I should have so the computer takes over and down shifts for you as you crank the throttle.
    this has happened a few more times than I care to admit.
    Yes this is what has happened to me.
    2017 F3 Limited