Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Is that thing safe!

I was headed to the dealership to get my new airflow panels installed. I was behind a Goldwing. We came up to a red light, and he motioned me to come forward. So I moved up beside him, and he looked over at me with a confused look and said "Is that thing safe? Having three wheels and all!" I wanted to say "hell no I crash this thing all all the time!" But I went on to inform and educate him on how stable it is around the corners, how I dont have to worry about sand or gravel, and how I have never come close to dropping it! He kind of gave me another confused look and took off. I've had this bike for a little over a year, and it still amazes me some of the question I still get! Love my Spyder!And remember....the great philosopher Ron White said "You can't fix stupid!"Ride safe my fellow Spyder riders!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

there are no end of questions and we have had fun with threads on the subject. I agree at times you feel like fueling their fire...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN9 View Post
    I was headed to the dealership to get my new airflow panels installed. I was behind a Goldwing. We came up to a red light, and he motioned me to come forward. So I moved up beside him, and he looked over at me with a confused look and said "Is that thing safe? Having three wheels and all!" I wanted to say "hell no I crash this thing all all the time!" But I went on to inform and educate him on how stable it is around the corners, how I dont have to worry about sand or gravel, and how I have never come close to dropping it! He kind of gave me another confused look and took off. I've had this bike for a little over a year, and it still amazes me some of the question I still get! Love my Spyder!And remember....the great philosopher Ron White said "You can't fix stupid!"Ride safe my fellow Spyder riders!
    You should've asked him if it was safe to ride a Honda Civic with only two wheels....

Pam

Spyder Garage

LOL...I always get the "how does that thing handle" deal. "Don't you have to lean a lot more to turn?" I describe it as a souped up ATV, cuz you actually have to physically steer it. I reply, "You can lean all you want, but you're gonna fall off unless you turn the bars". Some people have a hard time grasping that I guess. People sure do like to look at the bike though. We get a lot of compliments.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Yep! They are out there. Hopefully, this guy was just having a little fun with you. If not, better give him plenty of room next time you meet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've been riding since 1954, Spyders since 2008, I can count the makes I haven't owned on 1 hand. Safe? I got sideways on a wet 2 lane south of Branson, didn't have time to react, the GS did it all, and my passenger didn't realize there was a problem. I guess she thought I was showing off.
    I keep telling people "this thing is more fun than any 2 wheeler I ever rode".

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ah, Ron White, I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability. Fat chicks always wave and some even ask for a ride! RUN VERY FAST!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default SAFE!

You better believe it!

There is no doubt in our minds we would have spent at least part of the July fourth week end in the hostpital if not even worse had we been on a 2 wheeler and not a Spyder after our impact with a deer on July second. It was a good hit, deer did not make it, and we suffered $4300.00 in Spyder damage. BUT we stayed on the Spyder and even rode it home 90 miles.

There have also been many times in the spring or winter we hit gravel and fish tailed, this would have most likely put a 2 wheeler down. We love our ST and will certainly by another Spyder down the road due to its safety compared to other bikes.

Spyder Garage

Default Love at first sight.

When people ask me how my Spyder handles I just tell them, "A go-cart and jet-ski had an amorous night and this was the result." Sometimes I have to explain that statement twice.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

A bit unrelated. But when traveling in Oregon I stopped at a historic site to read the bronze plaque. I wear a full face helmet with a mirrored silver face shield. The plaque was only a few feet from the parking area. It was a cool but the sun was bright so I decided to leave my helmet on. As I walked up to the plaque there was a couple standing there and the lady asked me; 'Can you see out of that thing?'

Her husband and I just looked at her. I flipped up my shield and said, 'Yes, I can see out of this just fine'.

I read the plaque, returned to my motorcycle and rode away.... With my shield down!

I don't remember what the plaque said or even what it was about. But I'll never forget that lady and her question.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHUDDA SAID

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    A bit unrelated. But when traveling in Oregon I stopped at a historic site to read the bronze plaque. I wear a full face helmet with a mirrored silver face shield. The plaque was only a few feet from the parking area. It was a cool but the sun was bright so I decided to leave my helmet on. As I walked up to the plaque there was a couple standing there and the lady asked me; 'Can you see out of that thing?'

Her husband and I just looked at her. I flipped up my shield and said, 'Yes, I can see out of this just fine'.

I read the plaque, returned to my motorcycle and rode away.... With my shield down!

I don't remember what the plaque said or even what it was about. But I'll never forget that lady and her question.
    Ron I think I would have No...........Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default it saved my butt!

Got to say that l I'm glad l have a spyder because two days ago, a deer came out of ditch and ran into my right front wheel. Lucky for me it only bent front fender brace and left blood on the side of bike. If l was on 2 wheels l would have went down! Dennis

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"I crash this thing all the time."
    GREAT answer!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

I would have told her
    I could if I wasn't BLIND

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just tell people you traded the kick stand for a third wheel. A lot of men answer back that it's a good idea. Another one I like is when they tell me its a lot of money to buy one. Just tell them to borrow it from the kid's Inheritance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My favorite antic, is to smear a big bug splat on my finger then switch fingers as I taste it and say, "taste lick chicken", then watch them gag.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default great post

Love this post!! Love my Spyder also!!

Spyder Garage

Is it safer than a Wing or any two wheeler? At the red light just tell them to "pick up our feet and see who falls over first" . That should settle it.
    I am sure all of us get the question "do you like that thing" or How does it handle? I was even ask if it steers with the rear,, I said (with a straight face) Only in reverse like your car. He still had a confused look on his face.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    I would have told her
    I could if I wasn't BLIND

Or..
    Just stand facing in the wrong direction; speaking directly to no one...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure if anything we do beyond walking is safe and I question that too sometimes, but my girlfriend holds on tight and I kinda like that.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    Not sure if anything we do beyond walking is safe and I question that too sometimes, but my girlfriend holds on tight and I kinda like that.
    Are you kidding???
    Haven't you seen those movies? They have pianos falling everywhere!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Piano's caused limp mode and the need for laser allignment
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Gold Wing? Are sofa's with two wheels safe?