Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-S SE6 Parking Brake Adjustment

The parking brake, Brembo, on my 2014 RT-S, SE6 no longer firmly holds my Spyder, particularly when parked on grade heading uphill; it rolls backward. There is a video in SL that shows how to adjust the brake but it is for a Spyder with a manual vice electric parking break. It shows having to remove the brake actuator arm, making an adjustment, replacing the arm and fine tuning it by adjusting the barrel adjuster on the brake cable.

I took a little slack out of the cable with barrel adjuster but the brake is still not tight enough when set to prevent the Spyder from rolling backward down my driveway grade. I don't want to over adjust the brake so that it drags when released but I would like to avoid the time and expense of the 180 mile round trip to the dealer for what seems to be a very minor maintenance job. Am I approaching the problem correctly? Do not yet have service manual. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member redneck diva's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

same here,,, on slight inclines my Spydy does the same. was almost really bad when i was lined up for a bike ride & almost rolled into another bike, i carry a small wheel chock with me & just put behind under 1 wheel just to be safe now.

Spyder Garage

Parking brake failure is not an uncommon ailment for Spyders in general.. You may want to make a dealer visit before it quits all together
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

After the dealer try adjusting my parking brake twice, last time they tightened the adjuster so much the rear brake was overheating, I had to back it off before taking it back to the dealer again, they then changed the parking brake actuator, that fixed the problem. I learned from this forum that some of the 2014's had a weak actuator. Also it was covered under warranty.
    Last edited by rnharriman; 07-11-2015 at 01:27 PM.

2014 RT-S SE6 W/Trailer
    TomTom GPS
    BRP Side Air Deflectors
    BRP Vented Windshield

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnharriman View Post
    After the dealer try adjusting my parking break they changed the parking brake actuator, fixed the problem. I learned from this forum that some of the 2014's had a weak actuator.
    Thank you. That's an arrow for my quiver. I believe I have it adjusted now as best I can get it. Might also spray some brake cleaner in that part of the caliper.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

if you run out off threads on the cable adjuster it is time to move the pivot arm. Set the cable adjuster all the way back loosen the arm bolt pull the arm out and set it back a knotch. Reinstall the arm tighten the bolt and readjust the cable. As the brakes wear you need to keep adjusting but hard to tell on the electric till it rolls off. Manuals have a clicker system...remember you did this when the pads are replaced cause you will have to set it back again. Easy enough to do you just need some play on the arm when reset. Push it forward and you can feel when it makes contact...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnharriman View Post
    After the dealer try adjusting my parking brake twice, last time they tightened the adjuster so much the rear brake was overheating, I had to back it off before taking it back to the dealer again, they then changed the parking brake actuator, that fixed the problem. I learned from this forum that some of the 2014's had a weak actuator. Also it was covered under warranty.

I agree, had the same problem on my 2014 and a new brake motor actuator was required, under warranty. Problem solved

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

After the dealer tech saw today that I had correctly adjusted the parking brake to the max and it still wouldn't hold he declared the actuator motor defective and it will be replaced under warranty. Part ordered but I still have use of the trike. FWIW, the dealership has seen several defective motors.

Redneck Diva: suggest you visit your dealer to get your problem solved.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

2014 RT-S SE6 W/Trailer
    TomTom GPS
    BRP Side Air Deflectors
    BRP Vented Windshield

Spyder Garage

My 2014 is going in Friday for a new actuator. Wasn't holding on grades.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The actuator motor was defective on my 2015 RT-S. Dealer replaced it under warranty. Mine started rolling while parked on a steep driveway when someone touched it. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

My 2014 RT would roll if parked on an incline and a small incline at that. Took it to the dealer. They reported the actuator moves into position, then backs off enough to let the bike roll. They said they've contacted BRP. Thanks for the info. I'll pass the remarks to my dealership and see what they come up with. I can only park on level ground.

Spyder Garage

Default Rolling with Parking break on.

I have a 2014 ST SE5 and have replaced the break pads and the bike still does not hold on a hill. Some people have stated that the break actuator was covered under warranty. Was this the normal 2 year warranty or some sort of quiet recall. My bike is out of warranty, and I have the parking break adjusted once already by the dealer when it was under warranty and that fix lasted for a year.

I have tried to move the break arm but it does not want to give either way by hand and I don't want to try to force it. Any idea's

Spyder Garage

I too had the parking brake motor replaced on my 2015 RT. Mine would roll back on my steep driveway. I actually watched the parking brake at the rear of the bike while my wife worked the switch. I could see the parking brake lever more forward to lock the brake, and then it would back off slightly.

I sent a video of what was occurring to the service manager at Caswell Cycle and he emailed me back and said it was a known problem and ordered the parking brake motor. Sending him the video saved me a 130 mile round trip ride for diagnosis.

Gunner