Thread: Iron Butt Rally

Spyder Garage

Default Iron Butt Rally

I have been following this year’s Iron Butt Rally on line. The motorcycles participating have had satellite tracking devices so you could visit a webpage and see where they all are during the rally. I kept screen shots as they progressed around the country and made a video to follow them as they searched out their clues to gain points.

https://youtu.be/SBs_Eg6aeZc

For those of you who do not know what the Iron Butt Association (IBA) is, it is a group dedicated to long-distance motorcycle riding. The shortest ride that admits you as a member is 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours.

The Iron Butt Rally (what the video is of) is an eleven day ride to find way points around the country to get points. Basically it is a country-wide scavenger hunt on motorcycles. This year’s rally had 87 riders participating. Five of them also had pillions riding with them. They left the Albuquerque Sheraton at 10:00 am on 6/29 and to be a finisher of the 2015 Iron Butt Rally, the riders must visit 50 US national parks in 25 states before 10 AM (MDT), July 10, 2015!

They received packets with eligible way points for the first few days, and had to make check-in stops to remain qualified and pick up the next leg’s qualifying stops – one check in was back in Albuquerque and one was in Tennessee. The closest way point to us in central Massachusetts was the Springfield Armory.

I know that there were several that did not complete the rally, either for mechanical or other issues, and they will announce the winners tonight at their banquet.

Their Facebook page posted daily reports that are available to read at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iron-...378531?fref=ts ...I imagine they will have details about the finishers trials and tribulations posted this weekend.

Bob
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

That's awesome! I did the 1,000 mile Saddlesore ride on my Victory Vision. I may go for the 1,500 on my

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Here is the rally page where they have posted a lot of info, including all the point locations. http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2015.cfm They said the final report and the list of winners/finishers will be posted there.

I did my Saddlesore on a GL1500... Orange, MA to Gatlinburg, TN.
    --
    Bob L.
    www.rk-mass2.org

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I and the wife did the 1,000 mile Saddlesore ride 4 weeks ago it just got accepted took us 17 hrs

Spyder Garage

The final report on the ride is posted at http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/201...ndings.pdf.pdf The winner rode 11,087 miles in the 11 days!
    --
    Bob L.
    www.rk-mass2.org

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did my first SS1000 on my 2001 GoldWing...

osm

Spyder Garage

Default Ironbutt

I did the 1000 as a passenger and then got my VTX1300 and did the 1500 in 24 hours. That was one of most fun rides I've had. Seeing the sun come up along the Platte River after riding for 12 hours was gorgeous and exhilarating. One of the accomplishments I'm most proud of. So many firsts on that ride. There was 3 others but they were wings and Valkyries and me on my X. Great fun.