Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Calling all 2014-2015 RT owners with "Belt Vibration"

Hello all,
    With close to 2,000 miles on my Spyder, trying to find the source of vibration at 75 MPH. Had vibration at lower speeds, tightening the drive belt seems to have cured that. I performed an experiment today on the highway. I was certain the vibration was caused by the belt (what I have read on this forum). However when it started I wondered why the engine seemed to labor or hesitate at the same time.

So at 75 mph where the vibration is worse, I down shifted to 5th gear, low and behold the vibration was gone. Adjusted my speed above and below 75mph, no vibration. Could not cause it to occur in 5th gear. As soon as you shift into 6th the vibration starts again. At 75 mph in 5th the motor is turning 4,500 rpm and certainly do not want to drive at that speed at that rpm. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a 6th gear!

I would like for other Spyder owners to "experiment" and see if this causes your vibration to go away.

And a question for the experts. Why does it occur? I am no expert but do not feel it is a harmonic issue as when it occurs the engine seems to have a "flat spot" and hesitates. Almost like at that particular rpm and engine loading, fuel mapping or timing is not quite right.

This would not be unknown on Rotax engines. We own a Sea-doo jet ski with the 4-tec 1,500 cc 3 cylinder 4 stroke motor. At 4,500 there is a hesitation so abrupt that the rpm gauge fluctuates if you keep it there. Many 4-tec owners experienced the issue and the dealers all said to just keep the engine out of that rpm range. There was never a fix from BRP to address it. Ok that works for a jet ski, no speed limits on the water. But certainly is not going to work for the Spyder. Most of the highways we drive on the traffic runs around 75 mph. Do not have the option in traffic to set my own speed because my Rotax motor vibrates.

I can see the look on the Police officers face when I tell him I am speeding so my motor won't vibrate!

Hope all you other 1330 owners can perform this "test" to find out if mine is an isolated issue or if other Spyders are exhibiting it as well. This post is not to "flame" BRP, we love the Spyder and just want to get to bottom of the issue.

Take Care,
    Louie and Meg
    Last edited by SpyderCruiser; 07-10-2015 at 06:05 PM.
    2015 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It has been described as a "Harmonic Vibration". Perhaps by dropping a gear, you're just moving the frequencies around enough, that it stops the vibration...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I Haven't noticed it on my 2015 RT. I've had her up to 100 and haven't noticed vibration at any speed

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

[] I Haven't noticed it on my 2015 RT. I've had her up to 100 and haven't noticed vibration at any speed

You are one exceptional ryder.

I'm willing to try your experiment though. For me the "vibes" set up at 4k rpm in 6th.
    Haven't noticed any unwillingness for the motor to power right on past that though.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I notice a vibration on my 2015 rtl at 78 mph have not been over that because I don't want to ruin something or my self. Trust me I am not one to be easy on the throttle. Did not now if it was wheel balance or some other prob.

Spyder Garage

Default Same issues with belt / Vibs

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    Hello all,
    With close to 2,000 miles on my Spyder, trying to find the source of vibration at 75 MPH. Had vibration at lower speeds, tightening the drive belt seems to have cured that. I performed an experiment today on the highway. I was certain the vibration was caused by the belt (what I have read on this forum). However when it started I wondered why the engine seemed to labor or hesitate at the same time.

So at 75 mph where the vibration is worse, I down shifted to 5th gear, low and behold the vibration was gone. Adjusted my speed above and below 75mph, no vibration. Could not cause it to occur in 5th gear. As soon as you shift into 6th the vibration starts again. At 75 mph in 5th the motor is turning 4,500 rpm and certainly do not want to drive at that speed at that rpm. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a 6th gear!

I would like for other Spyder owners to "experiment" and see if this causes your vibration to go away.

And a question for the experts. Why does it occur? I am no expert but do not feel it is a harmonic issue as when it occurs the engine seems to have a "flat spot" and hesitates. Almost like at that particular rpm and engine loading, fuel mapping or timing is not quite right.

This would not be unknown on Rotax engines. We own a Sea-doo jet ski with the 4-tec 1,500 cc 3 cylinder 4 stroke motor. At 4,500 there is a hesitation so abrupt that the rpm gauge fluctuates if you keep it there. Many 4-tec owners experienced the issue and the dealers all said to just keep the engine out of that rpm range. There was never a fix from BRP to address it. Ok that works for a jet ski, no speed limits on the water. But certainly is not going to work for the Spyder. Most of the highways we drive on the traffic runs around 75 mph. Do not have the option in traffic to set my own speed because my Rotax motor vibrates.

I can see the look on the Police officers face when I tell him I am speeding so my motor won't vibrate!

Hope all you other 1330 owners can perform this "test" to find out if mine is an isolated issue or if other Spyders are exhibiting it as well. This post is not to "flame" BRP, we love the Spyder and just want to get to bottom of the issue.

Take Care,
    Louie and Meg
    I've had the same issues with the vibration between the 71-78/80 mph range. Did the drop down to 5th gear changes vibration range, less vibs. Shop said 1st time might be tires, Shop said 2nd time belt vibs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I Haven't noticed it on my 2015 RT. I've had her up to 100 and haven't noticed vibration at any speed
    If I was going that fast; I wouldn't even notice if my hair was on fire!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If I was going that fast; I wouldn't even notice if my hair was on fire!!
    Well, the speedometer DOES go up to 200 MPH

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I figure that BRP put that there just to mess with the minds of the curious.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    [] I Haven't noticed it on my 2015 RT. I've had her up to 100 and haven't noticed vibration at any speed

You are one exceptional ryder.

I'm willing to try your experiment though. For me the "vibes" set up at 4k rpm in 6th.
    Haven't noticed any unwillingness for the motor to power right on past that though.
    Not so much an exceptional rider, as an experienced rider on an exceptional machine

I don't cruise at 100, I normally cruise at 80 (Speed limit here is 75). But when I need to, I know I can kick the RPMs up and easily get up to 100. Again, I have not experienced any vibration. Maybe I'm lucky

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

We've felt a little if it two up at about 70 mph. Will first attempt belt dressing to see if that corrects or reduces the issue.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

Default BELT VIBRATION

14's and 15's are not the only ones to vibrate, my 13RT-S vibrates between 70 and 80 once you get above or below It's OK..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's normal..

Stay in 6th gear and go above or below the "problem area".

I pretty much ignore it now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Riding down the interstate yesterday, and rolling along at 80 mph 2 up 2015 rtl and when I came to a little incline or hill to go over I started to get the vibration. It never stopped when I got to the top either, Unless I just bumped the RPM's and then it would go away. I am a firm believer it is the belt. I am going to have my wife try and hold a camera down there to see if I can see if the belt has a shaking or a vibration to it. because it does it on every hill. Wife kind of liked it though she said it was like a foot massage. Well that is not needed on a spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt vibration is common

There seems to be little or nothing that can be done to cure it. BRP definitely knows about it but will not address it. Adjustments, belt tensioners are about the only alternatives available to diminish the problem; but it seems it will never go away. RPM's, road conditions, bike loading are just a few of the many influences that can cause belt vibrations over and above belt adjustment. I've had my belt adjusted numerous times to try and eliminate the vibration but to no avail. I have about 12k miles now on my 14 RTS SE6 and the belt tension is approx. 230/260 on the cricket II gage, with the tire resting on the ground. This is a very lose adjustment according to spec's, however, for the way I ride it seems to provide me with a the appropriate sweet spots in most conditions. I've read about this problem and screwed around with adjustments until I'm blue in the face, but nothing will take totally away. There are posters here that do not experience belt vibrations and there are some, who like me, can not cure it, but just live with it. I do have one caution for you, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN your belt in an attempt to eliminate the vibration. That could end up being very costly.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your input so far.
    I have noticed the vibration increases when going up a hill as well. I am basing my opinion that it is not the belt, because a tensioner did not cure the issue.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Going to tweak the tension, but check the rear wheel balance when replacing the tire

I have noticed the vibration increases when going up a hill as well. I am basing my opinion that it is not the belt, because a tensioner did not cure the issue.
    With 10,000 miles on the OEM Kenda the 15 RTS is ready for a new shoe, and have a Kumho waiting in the wings. Have noticed the 68-70 mph vibration as others have noted usually when loading the belt on an upgrade. I am hesitant to up the tension but willing to tweak it up or down.

First goal is to find a shop with a balance machine that can handle the groove on the wheel rim and get a true spin balance. I have used the Harbor freight static balance stand and Ride-On on one of the 3 rear tires replaced on the 11 RT, but maybe the Firestone shop can help as others have mentioned.

If not--- anyone know where I can get some more stick on weights? I usually recycle the old ones, but notice the rear rim on the 2015 doesn't have any. Could it be that the balance was perfect from the factory? HMMM......
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I have been invited to a trip here that is 4 days long to Puerto Vallarta. But today when I was going to Costco about 71 miles per hour this vibration started and scared me. I have gotten it up to 76 and that seemed a tad better, but it is sorta scary to me for some reason. The vibration makes me pay attention and so I slow down a tad. I cannot imagine anyone going 100 on the Spyder! yikes, at least not me, not yet. But this has me a bit worried and I am hemming and hawing about this trip, do I go or not. It is going to be hard and exciting too. My Can-am agency is about 2 1/2 hours away on a very tough road, maybe to tough for me yet to use yet, no one wants me to take it over there, the road is curvy, cliffs to an end-less bottomless pits.....so it is something I am debating alot in my brain. I bought my bike used, and have never been to a Can-am dealer. This agency wants me to go a day ahead of the trip to check out my bike. I would leave from there with them, about 20 Spyders....and the roads from then on are much easier...whew....

A side note: I was shocked today going to the Costco on my Spyder! I saw another one! Whoo hoo, he waved at me, I waved at him and I turned around pretty fast and tried to catch him, silly me, that wasn't going to happen of course. He was going pretty strong....but there is another one in my realm in the world! HA! I hope to see him again sometime and catch up with him!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

If I were placing a bet, I would put my money on out of balance tires. Have you thought about dynamic balancing? Much better than those stupid weights.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't worry about the trip, the vibration is normal around 70MPH, go slower or a little faster and it will probably stop. As for the dealer visit, you probably will learn something. If they don't havr a good rep, then maybe find another dealership, even if it isn't a CanAm dealer he can do some stuff.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

My 14 RT has that same vibration and has had it from day 1. My theory is it is a combination of things. I think belt tension has something to do with it, but I think the bigger factor is the engine fuel management program in the ECM.

The EPA does some of their noise and emissions testing at certain engine RPM ranges, primarily around 4k or so, depending on the redline of that particular engine. As a consequence almost all motorcycle manufacturers have lean spots in that RPM range. Common wisdom is most fuel management programs are set so that they idle slightly lean, then get leaner from there until around the 4k RPM mark. Oddly enough, once you get near redline, the engine usually get very rich. That is done to protect the engine at very high RPMs, since no testing is done in that range.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It has been described as a "Harmonic Vibration". Perhaps by dropping a gear, you're just moving the frequencies around enough, that it stops the vibration...
    YUP! +1
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default lumpy Kenda?

When we swapped my rear tire out we obsurved tread and ball spots on the Kenda. You can balance all you want to, but if the tyre is not round, you gonna bounce.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New 2015

My RTS is brand new and it vibrates at exactly 75 mph.

Spyder Garage

Default Ours does too...

Our New 14 RTS has the shakes too
    we have about 1400 miles on it, absolutely love it, but from about 68-74, The Old Girl feels like She's Poopin' Bones....
    We are on vacation with our horses now, but definitly will try the "Experiment".
    We really Love our Spyder, and I'm sure we will figure out how to at least make the vibration a bit more tolerable

Hope to meet some of You Folks at The Spyder Rendezvous this Year
    Peace,
    Old Man Grizz