Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake flush

Spyder Garage

Default Brake flush

Can a Spyder be conventionally brake flushed?

Meaning attaching a brake vac, sucking out fluid til runs clear while adding to the master cylinder. Like most vehicles in the world.

Gave it a quick try and for some reason not going smoothly?

Perhaps the brake valve needs to be held (pressed) open?

What am I missing?

Spyder Garage

Default The nanny....

not sure you can because of the brake control the nanny uses. This is down by the steeing dps area. For this section you need buds to open those passages and flush that part...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Are you serious?

What the heck.

Its a simple brake flush!

Guessing I just screwed up my riding for a month?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    not sure you can because of the brake control the nanny uses. This is down by the steeing dps area. For this section you need buds to open those passages and flush that part...

Can you explain further?

Need to see if I can bypass this in some way.

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

have not done a brake flush but know many who have and they did not do anything with this section of the system. You can flush your brakes without buds but I don't know if you can do it as well and as thurough. That portion is controled by the computers and buds is the only way to open and close those paths. Mind you , not sending folks to the dealer but you may have to bleed that area as well. If you already started you can reload and should have cleared a good deal. Maybe someone else knows more about it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My manual for the 14 RTs talks all about how the manual bleed must be done first. Not using a MightyVac though, they are doing old school pump the pedal.

Once that is done they mention pressure validation checks. I skimmed it over, but it does seem possible. 4 bleeders, 3 wheels and the antiskid controller.

PK

Spyder Garage

This is an ST, but I'm sure it's the same.

Didnt even think old school.

Ill have to pull it in the driveway, jack it up, tires off, start it up, flush the system w someone on the pedal....that sounds like a plan!

Then all systems are on and working.....unless freaking nanny thinks there is a leak!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    have not done a brake flush but know many who have and they did not do anything with this section of the system. You can flush your brakes without buds but I don't know if you can do it as well and as thurough. That portion is controled by the computers and buds is the only way to open and close those paths. Mind you , not sending folks to the dealer but you may have to bleed that area as well. If you already started you can reload and should have cleared a good deal. Maybe someone else knows more about it...

I brake flush brakes on everything I own, it's the most forgotten system I believe...yet one of the most important.

Spyder Garage

This year at Spyderfest, Lamont and this BRP Rep (Sorry, forgot his name, but was one of their top Reps) put on a seminar for anything Spyder. I asked if we could bleed the brakes on our own.....without BUDS. The Rep told me that yes, you can........but......and he stressed.....Do Not Turn On The Power.......until you are done !!!!! He said in the '13 and later manuals, they printed the step by step process. I don't have that manual, since mine is an '08 GS, so if you or anyone has that manual, Please PM me the instructions. Mine need to be done. .....Lamont's comment to me was......buy a new Spyder

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

I'll check the manual.

If it can be done by a redneck it can be done by a dog.

Spyder Garage

I find it funny that things like this should be addressed on this forum...but when someone has a vested interest in making money at it he doesn't help out his fellow Spyder riders who adore him.

Need a step by step on how it's done for those of us who are capable ....step up to the plate.

Spyder Garage

Thread closure time...

Spyder Garage

Someone PM me the answer....

Spyder Garage

Just read through the procedure.

Bullcrap

Why would a manufacturer do such a thing?

Requiring computer interface to do a simple needed job such as a brake bleed?

The more I learn about this company the more I hate it.

Soon

Soon, I'll be tired of the ride....sell it...and never look back.

Again...never buying another Spyder.

Why Why Why make a simple NEEDED procedure like a brake bleed out of the hands of the user?

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Just read through the procedure.

Bullcrap

Why would a manufacturer do such a thing?

Requiring computer interface to do a simple needed job such as a brake bleed?

The more I learn about this company the more I hate it.

Soon

Soon, I'll be tired of the ride....sell it...and never look back.

Again...never buying another Spyder.

Why Why Why make a simple NEEDED procedure like a brake bleed out of the hands of the user?

My personal belief is that there are 2 factors at play. One is that the engineers that worked on this whole project were (are) automotive not motorcycle oriented. I think that is backed up by the systems incorporated on these bikes. The second is simply MONEY. Protect those dealers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    My personal belief is that there are 2 factors at play. One is that the engineers that worked on this whole project were (are) automotive not motorcycle oriented. I think that is backed up by the systems incorporated on these bikes. The second is simply MONEY. Protect those dealers.

But it every other vehicle in the world you can at least bleed the brakes if you wish?

Spyder Garage

Actually the Spyder is like other vehicles. The portion that requires BUDS to bleed is the ABS section. BUDS is used to activate the ABS section so it opens up to the rest of the brake lines so the old fluid can get out. Cars with ABS have the same issue. You should be able to bleed every other part of the system just like you normally would.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default You can

Drain each caliper, drain the master cylinder drain each line. Refill. Purge each line of air. Use bleeder valves on each caliper, and a length of clear tubing. Pump brakes until no bubbles. Done twice, worked twice. Just lucky? Ok, but works so far. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did my RT by pumping the pedal old school style. I did not turn on the key.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I did my RT by pumping the pedal old school style. I did not turn on the key.
    This is pretty much how the manual reads.

Simply a brake fluid flush.

PK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Actually the Spyder is like other vehicles. The portion that requires BUDS to bleed is the ABS section. BUDS is used to activate the ABS section so it opens up to the rest of the brake lines so the old fluid can get out. Cars with ABS have the same issue. You should be able to bleed every other part of the system just like you normally would.

This is what is confusing about people saying buds is needed?

Ive bled plenty of cars w ABS. Simply bleed until clear at the calipers while making sure the master cylinder stays clear.

I could care less about the couple ounces in the ABS box, is that the only reason BUDS is needed?

Spyder Garage

Ive bled plenty of cars w ABS. Simply bleed until clear at the calipers while making sure the master cylinder stays clear.

I could care less about the couple ounces in the ABS box, is that the only reason BUDS is needed?

Snoopy, it sounded like the BUDS was doing the final bleed, probably to flush the antilock controller. The BUDS is also used in verifying brake pressures.

What you posted is pretty much how I read it in the manual. Myself, I would flush with the manual pedal pump method and maybe do it again in a few hundred miles.

FWIW, this is on my list of items to accomplish. No BUDS here and plan to use the pump the pedal method.

Also, like yourself, I have flushed many cars with antilock brakes and even bleed them with good results. Just make sure it works away from congestion or traffic.

PK

Spyder Garage

I bled my 2013 RTL several times (4 places LF,RF, R, VCS per the shop manual) and wasn't getting the results that I needed for my hand brake to operate properly without double pumping. So I decided to let my stealerdealer bleed mine for $450 with absolutely no change. The main thing that the Buds does is check the ABS pressure ,so if all you are doing is changing the fluid the pressure shouldn't change.
    Turns out my problem was a warped rotor causing a puck to move back causing the brake pedal to have more travel than normal causing my hand brake to need double pumping.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input, about to try it again.

Wondering now the orientation of the master cylinder, from what I did bleed it looks like the front caliper reservoir is actually towards the back...and the rear caliper reservoir is toward the front.

Spyder Garage

Let us know the results..........Good Luck.......Hope it all works out for you......

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888