Spyder Garage

Default Vee Rubber for the RT

Just got the new tire in for testing. So far I like it a lot better than the first two I tried. Thicker sidewalls for sure

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let us know how it wears, as you pile up the first 10,000 miles on it...
    By the end of August; right?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Same size for the ST?
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

Be great to have another motorcycle tire for these machines. I for one do not use car tires...'ing for updates....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default YES

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Same size for the ST?

All Spyders come with the same size rear tire.

Keep us posted I will be willing to try it.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've still got to figure out how to wrap my head around the name of the tire...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Anything else new at Vee Rubber?

I put a Vee Rubber rear tire on our 2014 ST-Limited just before our trip to Spyderfest in April. Seems to be wearing better that the original Kendra. We do a lot of two-up riding and trailer towing with our ST so real long life may not be a realistic expectation. I for one have not been convinced that a car tire is the best way to go for the ST. The bike is just not heavy enough to make the car tire work correctly in all conditions. Treadwear is not the only consideration to judge a tire. Having spent many years playing in Motorsports a tire that is too stiff or too hard can hurt handling as much as too soft. It may last longer but you could be off course more as well.

My question is Vee Rubber working on a 15" front tire for the spyder? I know that they have a 14" but have not seen any listing for the 15".
    Chris Gammack
    You don't know what I don't know. I don't know what you don't know. All I can say is at my age what I don't know is huge.
    I call the Avatar "The first fifteen feet."

Spyder Garage

Yes. Please keep us posted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes the new fronts will be out soon see the post on VEE RUBBER in the RT section.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCGammack View Post
    I put a Vee Rubber rear tire on our 2014 ST-Limited just before our trip to Spyderfest in April. Seems to be wearing better that the original Kendra. We do a lot of two-up riding and trailer towing with our ST so real long life may not be a realistic expectation. I for one have not been convinced that a car tire is the best way to go for the ST. The bike is just not heavy enough to make the car tire work correctly in all conditions. Treadwear is not the only consideration to judge a tire. Having spent many years playing in Motorsports a tire that is too stiff or too hard can hurt handling as much as too soft. It may last longer but you could be off course more as well.

My question is Vee Rubber working on a 15" front tire for the spyder? I know that they have a 14" but have not seen any listing for the 15".
    Yes they are working on the 15" fronts but no date on them yet. The compound on the tire I have now just showed up at the warehouse last week I'm told so whatever you guys have been running before is not this tire.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Just got the new tire in for testing. So far I like it a lot better than the first two I tried. Thicker sidewalls for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Yes they are working on the 15" fronts but no date on them yet. The compound on the tire I have now just showed up at the warehouse last week I'm told so whatever you guys have been running before is not this tire.
    Now you've got me intrigued. Your earlier comments a couple years' ago re Vee Rubber were pretty negative. Strongly negative. I had a 2011 RT and bought their rear tire and saw the inadequate load rating and told them about it. I was very unhappy with their response. Sort of like "Yeah, we're working on it. But we haven't had any problems with this one." I took the tire off immediately, at my own expense. After that experience with their customer service and your comments, I wrote Vee Rubber off. Now it sounds like you're seriously interested. I think the other thread indicated you might even sell them if your current evaluation is good. Quite a turnaround. Consider me intrigued but skeptical. I'll need a rear fairly soon for the rear of my '14 RT. Probably too soon for your evaluation unless you do some real traveling!

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default Any news?

Lamont, you started this thread in July. Any thoughts on how the new tire worked out?
    Chris Gammack
    You don't know what I don't know. I don't know what you don't know. All I can say is at my age what I don't know is huge.
    I call the Avatar "The first fifteen feet."

Spyder Garage

Default Curious

I'm curious as well. Please do tell on how its working out.
    Current Modes of Transportation:
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT LTD / Pearl White
    2014 Can Cam Commander 1000 Side X Side / Yellow and Black
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad Cruiser 1600 / Black with lots of Chrome
    2006 Ford F-150 Bronze and Chrome
    2014 ASICS Gel-Nimbus Running Shoes / Blue and White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Add me to the curious crowd. What's the treadwear rating on the Vee Rubbers? Unlike some here, I'm not worried about tread life and mileage. Tires for me are an expendable item. I'd rather be glued to the pavement. So I probably am looking for recommendations on a sticker softer performance tire than most of you touring crowd.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tested a rear one also and it was pretty much the same as the other one I had. The handling is great - very much like the Kenda. The tread life is dismal and the tires wear on the outer edges.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Vee Rubber Tread Life?

Was this the new compound Rear V35004 or the new Front V350003 you Tried? About how many miles would you call "dismal"? I hope some one that has tried both the old Rear V35002 VS. The new V35004 shares experience on difference, or if there is any verified improvement in tread wear. So far, the Kumho 225/50R/15 Rear is still looking the best to me, as long as the owner reviews from Consumer Affairs are disregarded from Cage owner reports. My Kumho on my 2012 RT Limited has 10,000 miles on it right now, and hasn't quite hit the wear marks yet, so I expect another 2-3,000 miles on it, if it passes inspection in Jan. The wear pattern is straight, and handling has been superb in all weather conditions, riding both Solo and two up. But before I order another one and pay $20-30 more than Discount tire's usual price of $81.00 delivered,......I hope to find out if there is some Conspiracy going on with Discount Tire about why they are with holding selling it to selective Spyder Owners like me, who they refuse to sell to, regardless of my being their past Customer with 10,000 miles of experience and counting. So, if I keep the same size, I already know Kenda is an 8,500 mile Rear Tire, on my last two, and my both sets of Kendra fronts have worn on the inside, and the first set cupped. So, Kenda is out on Fronts for me as well, next set. I definitely plan on going with Bridgestones on the front next set. But the Jury is still out for the Rear. I run with 20 psi in the fronts, and 30 psi on the Rear after much experimentation. My first set on Kenda fronts were replaced at 12,700 miles because of extreme wear on inside, and after toe in adjusted and air pressure increased to 20 psi, my present set has 15,000 on them, and still wearing on inside, but I might get another 2-3000 miles out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I tested a rear one also and it was pretty much the same as the other one I had. The handling is great - very much like the Kenda. The tread life is dismal and the tires wear on the outer edges.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    Was this the new compound Rear V35004 or the new Front V350003 you Tried? About how many miles would you call "dismal"? I hope some one that has tried both the old Rear V35002 VS. The new V35004 shares experience on difference, or if there is any verified improvement in tread wear. So far, the Kumho 225/50R/15 Rear is still looking the best to me, as long as the owner reviews from Consumer Affairs are disregarded from Cage owner reports. My Kumho on my 2012 RT Limited has 10,000 miles on it right now, and hasn't quite hit the wear marks yet, so I expect another 2-3,000 miles on it, if it passes inspection in Jan. The wear pattern is straight, and handling has been superb in all weather conditions, riding both Solo and two up. But before I order another one and pay $20-30 more than Discount tire's usual price of $81.00 delivered,......I hope to find out if there is some Conspiracy going on with Discount Tire about why they are with holding selling it to selective Spyder Owners like me, who they refuse to sell to, regardless of my being their past Customer with 10,000 miles of experience and counting. So, if I keep the same size, I already know Kenda is an 8,500 mile Rear Tire, on my last two, and my both sets of Kendra fronts have worn on the inside, and the first set cupped. So, Kenda is out on Fronts for me as well, next set. I definitely plan on going with Bridgestones on the front next set. But the Jury is still out for the Rear. I run with 20 psi in the fronts, and 30 psi on the Rear after much experimentation. My first set on Kenda fronts were replaced at 12,700 miles because of extreme wear on inside, and after toe in adjusted and air pressure increased to 20 psi, my present set has 15,000 on them, and still wearing on inside, but I might get another 2-3000 miles out of them.
    if they are constantly wearing on the inside you may have a camber issue.

Spyder Garage

Default Also curious

I have just over 7000 on my rt and noticed yesterday that I am seeing some center wear. I'm planning to drop pressure a little, but looks like I will be needing a new tire next spring. With all of the tire threes on spyder lovers I don't recall seeing anything about using a non kenda tire and warranty. Does anyone know if there are any issues around that? It does seem that many people have also had issue getting non kenda tires installed wether it is at the dealer or a tire shop. Is this normal and should I start looking around now for a tire shop that would be willing to do the install? I will be following this thread to see what lamp steer and other say about the veerubber tire. After having looked at their web site, I didn't see a dealer locator or pricing so was wondering where to buy?
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the vee rubber tire installed on the rear by the dealer..Have over 3 k on it now and still looks good..See what happens in 2016 on the rear tire..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The first Arachnid I had was the original compound and lower weight rating I got 8,355 miles on it. The second was the new weight rating and tread compound and I got 8,882 miles on it. The last was the new weight rating but the old compound (it was free and I needed a tire so I mounted it) I got 5,009 miles on it.

All three tires wore on the sides - opposite of a Kenda which always wears in the center - I started them out at 28 psi and then bumped it up to 30 based on feedback from Vee Rubber. I started the 3rd tire out at 30 but it didn't have any effect on the wear.

Also, I run the rear tire until it is pretty much bald and many of you would have changed these tires out sooner. I do generally ride at high speeds and pull a loaded trailer.

To compare I got 9,600 miles on the OEM Kenda, 20,744 on a Kumho, 8,734 on a Yokohama S Drive and I am currently running another Kumho.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 3K on Arachnid Vee Rubber

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The first Arachnid I had was the original compound and lower weight rating I got 8,355 miles on it. The second was the new weight rating and tread compound and I got 8,882 miles on it. The last was the new weight rating but the old compound (it was free and I needed a tire so I mounted it) I got 5,009 miles on it.

All three tires wore on the sides - opposite of a Kenda which always wears in the center - I started them out at 28 psi and then bumped it up to 30 based on feedback from Vee Rubber. I started the 3rd tire out at 30 but it didn't have any effect on the wear.

Also, I run the rear tire until it is pretty much bald and many of you would have changed these tires out sooner. I do generally ride at high speeds and pull a loaded trailer.

To compare I got 9,600 miles on the OEM Kenda, 20,744 on a Kumho, 8,734 on a Yokohama S Drive and I am currently running another Kumho.
    Just curious -- what took you back to the Kumho? I recall you thought your first Kumho hydroplaned too easily.

I've got 3K on the latest Arachnid Vee Rubber 35004 on my 2014 RT. No complaints. The first 1500 mi were eight days largely on wet, twisty backroads in WV (when the hurricane was offshore and kept the east coast wet) and they stuck just fine. Some wet interstates as well and no problem. After 3K I can see the wear on the edges (30psi since installed) but looking better than the Kenda's at a similar mileage. If I get 8500 or so, I'll be satisfied. Stickiness is what counts for me.

I, too, am curious to hear Lamont's feedback.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was ordering a Kumho for a customer and I just decided to go with another. I figure I will be using it mostly in dry conditions over the winter and I'll decide what to go with in the spring. Cheap price had something to do with it also.

I would also like to hear Lamont's feedback.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    if they are constantly wearing on the inside you may have a camber issue.
    Camber is not adjustable on a Spyder; it's build into the design. If tires are wearing on the inside it's an indication of toe out.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S