Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster Hand Brake

I get more calls, PM's and emails about how I made a hand brake work on the Spyder that I thought I would show you how I did it. I won't be doing any kits for this mod so don't ask. The real reason is to maybe give you some ideas on how it could be done. This is just a Lamonster way of doing it.

I used a Moose Racing Fly Clutch Assembly just because that's what a local dealer had. I'm sure you could find something to work in it's place.

I used a Suzuki M109R clutch cable because that's what I had laying around. I had to straiten the one end a bit to get it to work. I'm sure you can find a better cable too.

The rest was just a little fab work. I tried doing this as a bolt up deal because I really didn't want to take the peddle off and weld on it but after many many trys to get that to work right I decided to give in and weld that sucker. I should have done that in the first place because it was really no big deal. :

You can click on the pics to make them bigger.

These are the parts that had to be made.

I had a alignment hole to gage where I needed it to be welded.

The stock pin is back in the clevis now and is not bolted to my bracket like it was before. Here a couple of shots of the brake arm bolted up.

The cable goes to the top hole and the two bolts have washers to space it out so the cable can move.

I'm pretty darn happy with it now. I don't have any binding issues like I had before and I have a good hard brake now. I still need to run it to see how good it really is but I expect at lease 90 to 95% brakes with the lever.

Here's a little video of it working. This is a little better quality video. http://media.putfile.com/welded-hand-brake

[youtube=425,350]R2NBDlIwxvI[/youtube]

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Hand Brake

Hey where'd you get the idea to weld it to the brake arm barrel? :bigthumbsup:

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Hand Brake

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    Hey where'd you get the idea to weld it to the brake arm barrel? :bigthumbsup:
    I had the idea I was just trying to get around it.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Lamonster Hand Brake

Great minds think alike!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont, and MagicMan!!!
    I know youve both been working on a very simialr system.
    Im glad you posted this, as I was about to contact both of you soon for some good pics and thoughts on your systems.
    I understand about not wanting to provide kits and all, but would either of you be willing to provide some measured drawings and or parts lists for your setups?

Did you both end up with about thesame angle and length of pull? If not, any guesses on which one provides more positive braking?

Thanks again, as Im sure you remember I will be installing this type setup on mine as I will have limited use of the foot brake without applying my whole foot (thats how I did the test drive, it worked but not comfortable in emergency situations) and this would provide me a lil more peace of mind.

Thanks guys!!! :bigthumbsup:

Spyder Garage

I had this set up type of system on my Spyder in Daytona when Lamonster came to see me. He had the same idea but was not sure how it would all work out till he say how good mine worked. Then he went back and made a real nice system for his too. He is the best at photos and such, however I don't know now that both of our bikes are together if a drawing is possiable as the parts are all welded together at least on mine. Maybe Lamonster made a drawing of his bracket as he is real good at keeping a log of his mods? The photos he has here show real nice how he did it and it looks pretty clear on what to do. If you need any advice I'd be glad to talk to you on phone anytime. Lamonster has a real nice lower bracket picture here and I think you might be able to use it as a good guide for yours.

Spyder Garage

Like MM said I saw his setup in Daytona and his worked better than my bolt-up setup. I was able to use the same bracket and just scoot it over and weld it. I think the fact that there is no slop now and the cable has a good strait pull is what made it work for me. You can pretty much make the top bracket first and then make the bottom bracket to fit the top with the right angle. It's not that hard of a job.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks guys!!!
    Ill get mine tore apart and take a look at it when I get it, and Im sure I can fab up something from all your descriptions and pics.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lamonster, have you looked at the possibility of having the cable end move freely through the barrel that connects it to the bracket you made and welded to the brake pedal? In other words, passing through the little barrel with a stop-bead on the cable end.

I ask this because I once made a setup for a hand brake on the rear brake pedal of a dual sport. I still had the normal hand brake for the front disk and then another right side hand brake lever so I could drag the rear brake when "tripoding" with both feet, going down steep, sandy, drop-offs. I found that I didn't like the cable slacking when I used the foot pedal for braking so I rigged it up to allow the cable end to slip through, when the foot pedal would try to push it up. I liked the setup much better after that.

Frank

Spyder Garage

I didn't try that but I'm sure it would work great. Mine works fine the way it is for me and the lever doesn't move when to step on the brakes but it is a little loose like you say.

Spyder Garage

Just got back from a little ride to town and back (about 100 miles) and the hand brake is working great. :bigthumbsup: I can't wait to show the BRP guys at the Homecoming!

Like I thought I have about 90 to 95% brake and I was able to panic stop with it but I found if I pumped the brake once I could lock it up if need be. I'm very happy now and I think you guys that have limited or no use of your right leg will do just fine with this setup. Now the only downside I can see is cables do break and if that's all you were counting on that could be bad. Mine is more for keeping my good habits of using the front brake first and then the rear.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    ...the only downside I can see is cables do break and if that's all you were counting on that could be bad.
    Believe me, Ive had this in my mind as well. I can still brake with the foot if I rock my hip forward, or slide my whole foot onto the pedal. I will probably make it a habit to keep the foot at the ready to back up the cable system.
    Thanks again for all the help!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

:bigthumbsup:Now that you have had the brake on there, how do you like the hand brake. I really do not like the foot brake and am interested.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Last Spyder
    :bigthumbsup:Now that you have had the brake on there, how do you like the hand brake. I really do not like the foot brake and am interested.
    I love it. This was the second day riding with it and I don't use the foot brake much at all now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for taking the time to post pics and info, i will be going this route. Thanks

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

What purpose do the two bolts serve?
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy
    What purpose do the two bolts serve?
    -Scotty
    They space and hold the barrel in place but alow it to move in the bracket.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great idea & execution. Now we'll have to wait until someone comes up with a kit so the mechanically declined (sic) rest of us can convert.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster
    They space and hold the barrel in place but alow it to move in the bracket.
    Thanks! Not having had it apart, I just wasn't sure. Knew there had to be a good reason not to weld in a spacer.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy
    Thanks! Not having had it apart, I just wasn't sure. Knew there had to be a good reason not to weld in a spacer.
    -Scotty
    I guess I could have welded in a spaced but this worked just as good and if I go with a larger cable I can add a washer if need be.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Toyota slave cylinder behind the factory slave to a Brembo Master on the handlebars...works great!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGimp
    Toyota slave cylinder behind the factory slave to a Brembo Master on the handlebars...works great!

Excellent!!!
    Looks great! Did you fab the "yoke" that ataches it to the pedal point or is that off the shelf for something else?

Spyder Garage

Nice job. :bigthumbsup: I didn't think about running hard line to the slave but that will work great if you then run a flex to the master. :bigthumbsup:

Spyder Garage

I don't get it. The foot brake on the Spyder is for the back or front? You installed a HAND brake for the FRONT? So does this mean that when you press on the foot break, it is ONLY for the back? Or does it work for BOTH front and back? Sorry if I'm asking something that seems basic.

Derwin

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derwin
    I don't get it. The foot brake on the Spyder is for the back or front? You installed a HAND brake for the FRONT? So does this mean that when you press on the foot break, it is ONLY for the back? Or does it work for BOTH front and back? Sorry if I'm asking something that seems basic.
    No, there is only the one brake on the bike and it does all the brakes. Adding a hand brake just gives you the option of using it to stop instead of the foot brake.
    When I ask the reps at the demo ride why only a foot brake they said the ABS pulses and freaks people out when they felt it in their hand so they let go. That's why they took it off. I think it's a good idea to have and makes it easier to ride. Then all I need is to make myself some leg rests on the sides and get the SE5 and I'd never have to put my feet down!