Thread: Power for GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Power for GPS

I want to mount my GPS (Garmin Nuvi 1450) on the dash of my 2012 RTL. I bought the mounting bracket from JT for mount but my question is where can I tap into for power. Thought about getting power from hot and ground leads on fuel gauge but don't know if these have enough amp's capacity to power fuel gauge and GPS but would like power to come from a switched source . I don't really want to remove gauge. Also read Shawn Smoats post about being careful what you add with CANBUS system. Anyone got any ideas?
    Last edited by JayHawker; 07-10-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Bump anyone got idea?

Spyder Garage

I'm sure you want to do this as reasonably as possible. However, for my 13 RTS SE5, I bought the GPS support and harness, which gives you power as well as adding the audio to your Spyder system. Works great. You might check on this. I just found one on ebay for $100:
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/can-am-spyder-gps

Good luck.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

You can pull power from the gauge wires.

When you remove the gauge you will see a 3 prong triangular plug and you will also have a stab on single wire.

You can use the stab on single wire for power. It's up to 3 amps. This powers the light bulb in the analog gauges.
    On the triangular plug the center wire is ground. DO NOT try to use the other 2 wires on the triangular plug even though you will read 12V off of one of them. those two run through the cluster.

This is assuming you will be removing the gauges! Running the GPS and the bulbs maybe too much.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I just dropped the wire down through the dash, then ran the original power cord to the battery, under/along the seat.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Here is the instructions and how I did my TomTom, scroll down the web page and there are step by step instructions.
    http://www.knarfoh.com/GPS_INSTALL/gps_install.html

2014 RT-S SE6 W/Trailer
    TomTom GPS
    BRP Side Air Deflectors
    BRP Vented Windshield

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnharriman View Post
    Here is the instructions and how I did my TomTom, scroll down the web page and there are step by step instructions.
    http://www.knarfoh.com/GPS_INSTALL/gps_install.html
    Just read through those. Problem I see him doing here is he is taking 12V power of the line on the triangular plug which goes through the cluster!
    Not a good idea. You fry your cluster and you wont be happy.
    He should have taken power from that single stab on connector which powers the light bulbs in the gauges. This does not go through the cluster and is fused.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

JT has your answer.

http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index...&product_id=56

A member here who makes very high quality Spyder stuff.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6