Spyder Garage

Default Question about the BRP comfort seat

I have a 2014 RT Limited, and I love it. I am considering the purchase of a BRP comfort seat. My question is; Does the comfort seat listed in the new catalog come "driver back rest ready" as stated in the catalog? I purchased one on line, from Amazon, and found that there was no provision for the back rest. My stock seat has a back rest installed and I really like it. What would I have to do to use my existing back rest on the comfort seat? Any help would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I have a comfort seat on my Spyder but do not use a backrest. I understand that the backrest for the comfort seat comes with all the hardware to install it and it is a simple job. Be aware that the backrest for the comfort seat is not the same one as for the OEM seat.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeau View Post
    I have a 2014 RT Limited, and I love it. I am considering the purchase of a BRP comfort seat. My question is; Does the comfort seat listed in the new catalog come "driver back rest ready" as stated in the catalog? I purchased one on line, from Amazon, and found that there was no provision for the back rest. My stock seat has a back rest installed and I really like it. What would I have to do to use my existing back rest on the comfort seat? Any help would be appreciated.
    The current version of the comfort seat (latest catalog) does come back rest ready. There is a pop out that allows for the installation of the backrest. If you want the latest, you probably have to go to the dealer or BRP direct and cough up the $649. The ones without the backrest opening (2012 ish) went for $599 or so.

You can find good prices on Amazon or E-Bay, but sometimes the fine print does not tell you its an older version. Sellers snarf them up cheap and make a hefty profit selling discontinued stuff.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I pulled the BRP part number off BRP's site, and then went searching e-bay.
    It IS backrest ready, and under 500$.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default seat

If you can wait a few weeks, I will have a Comfort seat in black with backrest hole off a 2015 RT Limited with 200 miles on it for sale. I am waiting for my new seat to be finished, due end of July. I will be asking $285.00 for seat and will pay shipping anywhere in lower 48 states. Just gotta wait for new seat..... Dan

Spyder Garage

Remember, there are two seats called Comfort Seat. The optional comfort seat has drivers saddle sitting back two inches more. The best way to tell, without measuring, is the OEM production comfort seat has a flat bottom seat cushion with a seam along the edge and a taller driver lumbar support. The optional comfort seat has a rounded bottom seat cushion that the seam curls down the side and the drivers lumbar support is lower.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 07-09-2015 at 07:31 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default what is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    Remember, there are two seats called Comfort Seat. The optional comfort seat has drivers saddle sitting back two inches more. The best way to tell, without measuring, is the OEM production comfort seat has a flat bottom seat cushion with a seam along the edge and a taller driver lumbar support. The optional comfort seat has a rounded bottom seat cushion that the seam curls down the side and the drivers lumbar support is lower.
    What is difference between the two?

Spyder Garage

The optional comfort seat is an accessory and purchased separately. The drivers seat is set back and is two inches longer. The seat bottom is more rounded than flat. Is has different padding and the drivers seat back is lower.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
    If you can wait a few weeks, I will have a Comfort seat in black with backrest hole off a 2015 RT Limited with 200 miles on it for sale. I am waiting for my new seat to be finished, due end of July. I will be asking $285.00 for seat and will pay shipping anywhere in lower 48 states. Just gotta wait for new seat..... Dan
    I would be interested in that. Pm on the way.

Spyder Garage

What is difference between the two?
    Dan, which comfort seat do you have?

Spyder Garage

Default Confused!!!

I have a stock seat off a 2015 limited. I was told by dealers that the limited seat was different than RT non limited models and was called comfort seat because it put the driver back a little farther. Can someone explain in inches? Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a stock seat off a 2015 limited. I was told by dealers that the limited seat was different than RT non limited models and was called comfort seat because it put the driver back a little farther. Can someone explain in inches? Thanks
    From the beginning BRP has chosen to make their catalogs as confusing as possible when it comes to the descriptions of their seats. They use the word comfort to describe every seat they make so it would have made a lot more sense for them to call their optional seat by some other name. The seat on the RT limited is the same size as the seat on the RTS and base RT. The Limited seat is solid color (for 14 & 15) with the word Limited stitched on it. The stock seat for the RTS (14 & 15) is two toned and the stock for the base RT is solid colored.

The BRP Comfort seat is 2" deeper than the stock seat and it is available in 4 colors (gray is the two toned gray/black that matches the RTS seat)
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default optional seat with backrest . . .

I upgraded the seat when I purchased the Spyder new, and I was required by the dealer to purchase both seats. Nothing new to most of you, I'm sure, but I was surprised. Seems a stupid question to ask a potential buyer, "Would you like an extra seat with the motorcycle?" Now that I've ridden the Spyder and enjoyed the comfort and the backrest, plus the leg room, I'm really glad I upgraded. FWIW, my optional seat was called the "Ultimate Seat" by the dealer, and the back rest has the Can_Am logo on it.

The original seat fits my wife better, and she wants to ride the Spyder, so having the second seat is, for now, a good thing. And changing out the seat isn't difficult.

I have to mention that, even with the Ultimate Seat, adding beads has made riding repeated long days in the saddle much more comfortable. www.beadrider.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dsoileau View Post
    I upgraded the seat when I purchased the Spyder new, and I was required by the dealer to purchase both seats. Nothing new to most of you, I'm sure, but I was surprised. Seems a stupid question to ask a potential buyer, "Would you like an extra seat with the motorcycle?" Now that I've ridden the Spyder and enjoyed the comfort and the backrest, plus the leg room, I'm really glad I upgraded. FWIW, my optional seat was called the "Ultimate Seat" by the dealer, and the back rest has the Can_Am logo on it.

The original seat fits my wife better, and she wants to ride the Spyder, so having the second seat is, for now, a good thing. And changing out the seat isn't difficult.

I have to mention that, even with the Ultimate Seat, adding beads has made riding repeated long days in the saddle much more comfortable. www.beadrider.com
    Okay, before you confuse things here even more, your seat is not from BRP but from Ultimate, an aftermarket seat maker liker Corbin.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dsoileau View Post
    I upgraded the seat when I purchased the Spyder new, and I was required by the dealer to purchase both seats. Nothing new to most of you, I'm sure, but I was surprised. Seems a stupid question to ask a potential buyer, "Would you like an extra seat with the motorcycle?" Now that I've ridden the Spyder and enjoyed the comfort and the backrest, plus the leg room, I'm really glad I upgraded.
    Yes, it was a PITA to leave the dealership with two seats, but I knew I was going to need the Comfort Seat for the extra leg room. Am very pleased with it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Yes, it was a PITA to leave the dealership with two seats, but I knew I was going to need the Comfort Seat for the extra leg room. Am very pleased with it.
    This is MY story on the seat issue. I purchased a new 2014 RT basic about two months ago. It came with their 'comfort' seat standard. I rode about 500 miles one weekend. The next day, I literally could not walk. The seat 'hurt' for 80% of the ride. After one of those week long prednisone packs, (actually after the first day) I could walk normally and no pain. The Monday after that ride, after I got the pain stopped, I ordered an Ultimate Seat. I didn't care what the cost was. It could have easily been Corbin for that matter. The next weekend I rode to New Orleans, another 500 mile ride. NO PAIN NONE. This weekend I rode another 500 mile trip. NO PAIN NONE. Not even a twinge of butt ache. NONE. And the Ultimate
    Seat guy, Russell in their Florida office taught me a couple of really important things about riding that the dealer didn't. I really appreciated his help with the seat. It made a difference. I'm telling you that for ME, the cost of an Ultimate (or Corbin or Russell Day Long) is to be considered medical insurance if nothing else. Whatever the cost, spend it. Your butt and body will thank you. I'm off the box now... OK one more second, I can't imagine BRP's "real" comfort seat to be even close to any of the three I mentioned. OK, NOW I'm done...