Spyder Garage

Default Kenda tires for RS

I'm replacing my RS Kenda rear tire @ 27,000, what are your experiences with Kenda tires on your RS?

A little hx, I just put Kendas on the front. I ran 13,500 on first Kenda & 13,500 on second Kenda. I'm impressed with Kenda's ability to handle dry & wet roads. I ride solo with no saddle bags & minimal weight in frunk & as light as possible & removed heavy stock muffler.

Thank you in advance for reading and/or responding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HUH !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by figmotoday View Post
    I'm replacing my RS Kenda rear tire @ 27,000, what are your experiences with Kenda tires on your RS?

A little hx, I just put Kendas on the front. I ran 13,500 on first Kenda & 13,500 on second Kenda. I'm impressed with Kenda's ability to handle dry & wet roads. I ride solo with no saddle bags & minimal weight in frunk & as light as possible & removed heavy stock muffler.

Thank you in advance for reading and/or responding.
    If you got 27,000 miles on the rear tire of your RS Spyder ......document it and send it in to the " GUINESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS " because this has got to be the longest wearing Kenda rear tire ever made.......If you still have the Tire have it " BRONZED " and put it in the Kenda Tire Hall of Fame ...........PS , sorry but I don't believe you....................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(That was 13,500 miles on each of his first two Kendas...)
    "A little hx, I just put Kendas on the front. I ran 13,500 on first Kenda & 13,500 on second Kenda. "
    No doubt; you've had GREAT luck with them!
    You might as well "Stick with the girl that you brought to the Dance!"
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-07-2015 at 01:40 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

hmmmm, bronze tire, cool idea but I would hang it above my tool bench VS sending to Kenda

thanx Bob for clarification, 13,500ish per tire & metaphor to stick with Kenda
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Default Kenda rear tire

I got 16-5 out of my original rear tire. I had a Kuhmo put on to replace it. Not only was it half the price of the kenda, it will last way longer.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default Like them....

I got 22,000 miles on the rear and have 28,000 miles on the fronts. Replaced the rear with another Kenda and after 6,000 miles its looking good. I will be changing the fronts soon and have new kendas on hand...glad I'm not alone..was starting to worry...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Coz,
    Do you notice a difference between Kenda & Kuhmo on wet road?

Chupaca,
    Yip, same numbers as you & Coz. How does your Kenda work on wet roads?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire replacement

My original rear tire (Kenda) I got 5,824 miles, and I replaced the rear tire with a General Altimax RT 43, last month. I own a 2014RTS-SE6, look @ the thread" Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50 R15 vs Yokohama S Drive 205/ 50 R15" and read my post # 6,+ 18( has pictures of my new rear tire). I do not feel a ride difference with my new Tire. I have not ridden in the rain yet. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta say..!!

Coz,
    Do you notice a difference between Kenda & Kuhmo on wet road?

Chupaca,
    Yip, same numbers as you & Coz. How does your Kenda work on wet roads?
    I have not seen anyone complain about the performance of the tire in any condition. The issue with durability is the main complaint well and cost. I buy on ebay and save big time...I love the way it handles on wet roads and dry roads and have had to deal with hail and snow as well. But apparently its only me hanging in there with kenda..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I have not seen anyone complain about the performance of the tire in any condition. The issue with durability is the main complaint well and cost. I buy on ebay and save big time...I love the way it handles on wet roads and dry roads and have had to deal with hail and snow as well. But apparently its only me hanging in there with kenda..
    lol, 2 of us hanging with Kenda..........I might need/utilize a different tire if I'm pulling a trailer, hauling a passenger, using saddle bags, carrying tons of supplies, carrying groceries, & having extra weight from heavier models.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

I think it was your suggestion Chupaca that local road surfaces play a large part in how the rear Kenda's wear and to me that makes sense.

I only got around 9000km (5500 miles) out of Kenda's on the rear (though I replace them just before the minimum tread markers). The road surfaces here are chip and tar and pretty rough.

Switched over to Toyo T1R and wear is no longer an issue.

I have found that the handling in corners has altered since changing to a Toyo. It's hard to explain but there's no lateral movement at the rear like you get with the Kenda's. It's more precise but also a little bit more jittery on unevenly surfaced corners now. I suspect this is because it has less flex in the sidewall.

On cold days with the Kenda it would often loose traction on tighter turns e.g. pulling out of a junction. Not had this once with the Toyo.

At the front I've kept the Kenda's as they seem to be fine.

Spyder Garage

I have over 9000 miles on my kendas and still good tread left on all 3

Spyder Garage

Default No rain yet

Haven't been caught in the rain yet with the Kuhmo. That might be 'cause I try not to. I don't ride in the rain on purpose. It did rain on me a couple times with the kenda, and it did just fine.
    Last edited by coz; 07-07-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Wow you all are getting great mileage out of rear tires.I have 7300 miles on mine and feel that I don't want to drive the 700+ miles to Spyderquest on this tire. Have new Estka (sp) ordered from discount tire, will change it soon.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TOYO T 1 R

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    I think it was your suggestion Chupaca that local road surfaces play a large part in how the rear Kenda's wear and to me that makes sense.

I only got around 9000km (5500 miles) out of Kenda's on the rear (though I replace them just before the minimum tread markers). The road surfaces here are chip and tar and pretty rough.

I have found that the handling in corners has altered since changing to a Toyo. It's hard to explain but there's no lateral movement at the rear like you get with the Kenda's. It's more precise but also a little bit more jittery on unevenly surfaced corners now. I suspect this is because it has less flex in the sidewall.

On cold days with the Kenda it would often loose traction on tighter turns e.g. pulling out of a junction. Not had this once with the Toyo.

It's you me with this tire, I have the 185/55-15's on the front, and they STICK LIKE GLUE.......What size did you get for the rear ?????...Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post

PistonBlown,
    Cool how you are aware & pay attention to detailed performance of your rear tires & pros/cons of tire brands & aware of performance differences with temp differences. I'm limited in awareness; I'm aware of hydroplaning, spinning at track, & balding tires way past minimum tread marker. Toyo T12 looks interesting & Mike says stick like glue, gotta check out this brand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    My original rear tire (Kenda) I got 5,824 miles, and I replaced the rear tire with a General Altimax RT 43, last month. I own a 2014RTS-SE6, look @ the thread" Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50 R15 vs Yokohama S Drive 205/ 50 R15" and read my post # 6,+ 18( has pictures of my new rear tire). I do not feel a ride difference with my new Tire. I have not ridden in the rain yet. Deanna
    Deanna777,
    Thanx for the details & link to previous posts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Wow you all are getting great mileage out of rear tires.I have 7300 miles on mine and feel that I don't want to drive the 700+ miles to Spyderquest on this tire. Have new Estka (sp) ordered from discount tire, will change it soon.
    Hi IGETAROUND,
    What tire is this "new Estka (sp)" I did a web search & couldn't find it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

I think the reference is to a Kumho Ecsta.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default rear tire

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I got 22,000 miles on the rear and have 28,000 miles on the fronts. Replaced the rear with another Kenda and after 6,000 miles its looking good. I will be changing the fronts soon and have new kendas on hand...glad I'm not alone..was starting to worry...
    I too have a r standard shift 2014--- What size rear tire did you buy ? And how much was it -out the door ? I just went with the standard tire from the dealership ( Can't remember what brand ) but the first one went 5200 miles and was not quite bald. I now see the Spyder's are kind of pricey for everything. Don't know if I would buy another one. But at my age (72 ) -How much longer am I going to ride ? That's why I went with a trike.

Spyder Garage

When I had my '11RS I got 27k on rear OEM tire and traded the RS with OEM Front tires at 30k.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

PistonBlown,
    Cool how you are aware & pay attention to detailed performance of your rear tires & pros/cons of tire brands & aware of performance differences with temp differences. I'm limited in awareness; I'm aware of hydroplaning, spinning at track, & balding tires way past minimum tread marker. Toyo T12 looks interesting & Mike says stick like glue, gotta check out this brand.
    Ahhh that's because I'm a creature of habit when I nip out to get lunch from work. The nearby town with 3 food places is about 10km so always doing the same route in all weathers - I know how the Spyder feels through every bend and junction come rain/sun/cold/hot. This means when something changes I notice it:-)

The tire guy I used last time was really good, he had 3 or 4 suitable tires he'd used on Spyders before and asked me questions on how I rode, favourite routes, if I rode all year etc. From that he recommended the Toyo and I've been very happy with it. Funny enough wear wasn't a prime consideration though I wanted to last longer than the Kenda:-)