Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Squeak in new RT-s

I have a 2015 RT-S that has developed an irritating squeak when you hit a washboard or rough section of road. I thought I had found the issue in the LH mirror, You could make it squeak by moving it by hand. Took it off, adjusted the clips, even greased the posts and it seemed fixed but noise was still there. Took both mirrors off and noise is still there. Sounds like it is up front and doesn't seem to do it if you hit something square with both tires but always does it if the bumps are sharp and uneven. Sprayed WD-40 on every bushing and sway bar but no change. Has anyone else had the issue and what was it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Without being able to hear it; it's difficult to pick it out...
    You sure are looking in he right places; could it be one of the front suspension arms?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Without being able to hear it; it's difficult to pick it out...
    You sure are looking in he right places; could it be one of the front suspension arms?

Could be. The 2015s have no grease fittings there but I sprayed them with WD40 and it didn't change anything.
    You can't rock it back and forth and hear anything. Hit a rough patch in the road and it squeaks every time. More like something is loose than something that needs lube..

Spyder Garage

Louder radio. ..

My 2011 does it too and I am sure it is in the mirrors. I hardly hear it anymore though...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Louder radio. ..

My 2011 does it too and I am sure it is in the mirrors. I hardly hear it anymore though...
    Good thought on the radio!

I did run it without the mirrors. Noise was still there...

Spyder Garage

Default Check your windshield

mounting hardware. Mine was loose and was the cause of my squeaking noise when I first bought the Spyder.
    Lets ride!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could you have some missing the push-pins? That could sure let the body panels squawk a bit...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default windshield bushings sqeak

try running windshield all the way up then down .I think you will find the bushings need wd-40 or if as bad as mine were they needed replacing .but all the way up /down noise is less
    Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    I have a 2015 RT-S that has developed an irritating squeak when you hit a washboard or rough section of road. I thought I had found the issue in the LH mirror, You could make it squeak by moving it by hand. Took it off, adjusted the clips, even greased the posts and it seemed fixed but noise was still there. Took both mirrors off and noise is still there. Sounds like it is up front and doesn't seem to do it if you hit something square with both tires but always does it if the bumps are sharp and uneven. Sprayed WD-40 on every bushing and sway bar but no change. Has anyone else had the issue and what was it?
    2014 rt-s black,bump skid,baja ron swaybar and shock spring adjusters,rivco highway mounts &pegs and trunk flag holders 2014 900 ace renegade

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Panels and windshield are possibilities for sure. Thanks for the suggestions. Taking it to a dealer Friday and will let everyone know how it turns out..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Tried the windshield theory last night. When it is all the way up, no squeak at all! Partially down, less noise but it's there. All the way down, lots of squeaking. On the right track and I appreciate the feedback.

I'll try lubing the bushings first.

Thanks folks..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My 2015 RTs lightly squeaks in the back, I believe is the brake pads, slightly touching the rotor.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

I heard a squeaking noise after picking up the Spyder from the mechanic, and I decided to investigate when I got home. I took off a few panels and discovered that a screw was missing from a panel below the windshield. It was the source of the noise because replacing the screw fixed it. Another incident occurred after the recall modifications, and it was a lot scarier. One of those plastic lock-pin things came off a lower underbody panel, and when it caught some air at speed the panel dropped and scraped the pavement. That the panel moved back into position when I stopped made figuring this out rather difficult. Pulling on the different body panel pieces eventually revealed the problem. I returned to the dealer and they repaired it immediately. Thankfully nothing broke!

Spyder Garage

TimC,

I had the same type squeak develop on the right mirror side of my 2014 RTL after a few thousand miles. Turns out, that it was the upper corner of the right side mirror rubbing against the upper body panel. To fix it, I removed the mirror. Loosened the upper screw of the body panel and pushed the panel tighter to the frame. The screw hole in mine was slotted so I could move the panel tighter to the body. Tightened the screw and replaced the mirror. No more squeaks. You might try it. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

I have a 15 RT Ltd and had a squeak that appeared to be coming from the rear when I would get on the bike and go over something bumpy. What fixed it was my dealer's service guy. Sierra Cycles in Sierra Vista AZ, giving it a shot of synthetic spray lube, like you might use on a motorcycle chain, at the very top and bottom of the shock mounting. It's hard to get to and helps if you have a spray lube with a long straw. It was better immediately and has completely gone away after about two weeks.

Rob

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to MOB133

Took the windshield off today & lubed all bushings with WD40. Problem solved. Rode 133 miles today without a squeak! Love my Spyder again...

Thanks for the input folks and I hope this helps someone else.

Spyder Garage

my 15 RT has the same issues. going to see if I can remedy this
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl