Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Repair/Strengthener Hinge Kit

I was bit by the dreaded broken hinge on the side case about a week ago. I finally had time to take it apart and found where it was broken. I was not impressed with the bracing that BRP had done and if I didn't know better, it is almost like that area was left weak on purpose. The bottom portion has a very narrow section in the front and back of that hinge area that can be easily broken. Usually, this would require the inner portion of the side case to be replaced and big $$$.
    What I am going to do is make a repair/strengthening kit that will use a much larger area to secure it.
    It will work for both broken and unbroken units and is a very easy install. I wish I had made and installed this before I broke that spot, but this will be a good repair and will be stronger than original. This will be fabricated for the the RT, but might work for other models. I will keep you updated!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 07-07-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't wait to see what you come up with!
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Great idea. Keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Look forward to see what you come up with. Does indeed need a solution and BRP is not solving it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

at SpyderFest a friend's saddleback latch broke in the same place... its obvious that BRP's quality is lacking...

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    What I am going to do is make a repair/strengthening kit that will use a much larger area to secure it.
    It will work for both broken and unbroken units and is a very easy install. I wish I had made and installed this before I broke that spot, but this will be a good repair and will be stronger than original. This will be fabricated for the the RT, but might work for other models. I will keep you updated!
    Thanks. Let us know how and where to purchase when you're up and running with it.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

I had the same thing happen to my 13 RTS. BRP replaced it under warranty.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Spyder Garage

Nice idea!

Considering all the reports I have seen recently of the hinge breaking, why not fix the problem before it breaks thus saving time at the dealer?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess the problem, is that it takes a pretty fair amount of unhappy customers; before BRP will notice that there is a problem...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REALLY

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I guess the problem, is that it takes a pretty fair amount of unhappy customers; before BRP will notice that there is a problem...
    ....Bob you've got to be kidding.....right ......just look at the Mickey Mouse " Windshield Arm " they designed !!!! and How many of those have broken ????......dozens ...100's .,,a thousand ???............I'm not an engineer and even I can tell them how to fix it , and the fix won't cost anything...........they only need a NEW SAND CASTING MOLD ...........JMHO.......Mike .....

Spyder Garage

Default PICTURE

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I was bit by the dreaded broken hinge on the side case about a week ago. I finally had time to take it apart and found where it was broken. I was not impressed with the bracing that BRP had done and if I didn't know better, it is almost like that area was left weak on purpose. The bottom portion has a very narrow section in the front and back of that hinge area that can be easily broken. Usually, this would require the inner portion of the side case to be replaced and big $$$.

Doc, this is a picture of ....what ?.....the case ? the hinge ?.......Thanks .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Bob you've got to be kidding.....right ......just look at the Mickey Mouse " Windshield Arm " they designed !!!! and How many of those have broken ????......dozens ...100's .,,a thousand ???............I'm not an engineer and even I can tell them how to fix it , and the fix won't cost anything...........they only need a NEW SAND CASTING MOLD ...........JMHO.......Mike .....
    Actually; BRP has been covering the windshield strut under warranty; even when the bike has had it's warranty expire...
    They're aware of it, and MIGHT even be working on it right now!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Doc, this is a picture of ....what ?.....the case ? the hinge ?.......Thanks .....Mike
    That is the case. The molded portion where the hinges go.

UPDATE: A great deal of headway today. We are waiting on the components to get here and be assembled. Should be ready to ship early next week! From the initial estimates, the bracing will increase the strength to 3 times the original capacity if never broken. If broken, then it will make it t least 1 1/2 times as strong as the original. Once I post pictures of the how and why of this, you will see how much stronger this will be. I'll be posting pictures in a couple of days!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're waiting on "pins & needles"...

The heck with that!! We're waiting with barbecue!!

Spyder Garage

Default WOW I DIDN'T KNOW THIS

Actually; BRP has been covering the windshield strut under warranty; even when the bike has had it's warranty expire...
    They're aware of it, and MIGHT even be working on it right now!
    But if they are covering it under warranty even if the warranty has expired ....then why did you buy an Aluminum one from Australia ????.....And there are a lot of folks here who aren't aware of this extended warranty and have been paying upwards of $ 700 to have it fixed...........Why is this news a secret ?????....................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"covering it under warranty", just means that you get a replacement part of "like kind and quality"...
    I chose to pay for an improved part.

Spyder Garage

"covering it under warranty", just means that you get a replacement part of "like kind and quality"...
    I chose to pay for an improved part.
    Maybe...if the part that failed has been superseded, then if your timing is good, you might get an improved part.

In regards to what the Doc has devised, I too am unsure of his exact area where the repair is being accomplished. I have seen other failures posted here of a similar description. Enough that I personally had a look at how the hinge area is fabricated.

Like Bob, I too have the windshield arm in hand. It arrived yesterday. It is on the list of item to replace soon. The reason I decided to not wait for warranty is that most likely failure will happen during a ride and second would be I do not want anything to lessen the enjoyment or create fear for my wife on the back. It's money well spent towards what I would consider a safety item. If BRP does recall the windscreen support arms, then I will undo the work and comply.

As for what the Doc designed, yes, the failures are being replaced under warranty. Seems he has a solution for broken items or to simply reinforce non broken items. Seems if you simply ride local, warranty may be the most cost effective, provided the dealer is nearby and competent. If you travel, why let a stupid failure that may be prevented inexpensively ruin the trip.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And if the busted parts are being replaced with identical parts?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Seems if you simply ride local, warranty may be the most cost effective, provided the dealer is nearby and competent. If you travel, why let a stupid failure that may be prevented inexpensively ruin the trip.

PK
    Amen to that! "Prevention is better than cure" ~ Desiderius Erasmus, Dutch Theologian, 1466 - 1536

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

...And if the busted parts are being replaced with identical parts?
    That's BRPs option. With that though, they can replace until warranty expires. Major PITA for the owner. In cases like that, they hedge the bet that few will fail and even fewer will fail a second time. The warranty time paid out simply comes from a pool of all machines purchased. Our 14's profits likely paid for a portion of the design, fabrication and install of the 2013 heat reduction recall. Just as the 16,17 and thereafter will be paying for the recalls and warranty work, if any, on the 14s. seems kind of like Social Security...

When I ordered the windscreen arm, the wife asked, why do we have an extended warranty? Two answers...She wanted one when we bought the bike and second was in case the engine fails or something super expensive fails. So, hypothetically, if the new windscreen arm is installed and used a while then the windscreen motor fails, I'll need to remove the upgrade arm and reinstall the original for warranty. Then go back and reinstall the upgrade arm, unless BRP has done that. Crazy but there is a method to the madness.

PK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Amen to that! "Prevention is better than cure" ~ Desiderius Erasmus, Dutch Theologian, 1466 - 1536
    In this case probably, but for medically sick people with Diabetes or Cancer, that statement is seriously flawed.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES

Maybe...if the part that failed has been superseded, then if your timing is good, you might get an improved part.

In regards to what the Doc has devised, I too am unsure of his exact area where the repair is being accomplished. I have seen other failures posted here of a similar description. Enough that I personally had a look at how the hinge area is fabricated.

Like Bob, I too have the windshield arm in hand. It arrived yesterday. It is on the list of item to replace soon. The reason I decided to not wait for warranty is that most likely failure will happen during a ride and second would be I do not want anything to lessen the enjoyment or create fear for my wife on the back. It's money well spent towards what I would consider a safety item. If BRP does recall the windscreen support arms, then I will undo the work and comply.

As for what the Doc designed, yes, the failures are being replaced under warranty. Seems he has a solution for broken items or to simply reinforce non broken items. Seems if you simply ride local, warranty may be the most cost effective, provided the dealer is nearby and competent. If you travel, why let a stupid failure that may be prevented inexpensively ruin the trip.

PK
    ...Paul two things ...The NEW and Improved windshield part was a " BOLT " not the ARM that is the real problem !!!!!!.....and when you get around to putting on the ARM ( from the Aussie's ) take off the Magnet end ( after marking it's original location on the shaft )....I have taken off both the GEAR and MAGNET pieces......and the Magnet is far easier and less likely to break.......Mike

Spyder Garage

PK
    The repair/strengthener we are making can be easily removed to have the warranty case replaced and no one is the wiser that it was even there. Only thing you will have to do is remove the unit and put the original screws back in. When I have a little time I will take some close-ups of the area and give you my take on it. They could have been made stronger than they were. Referring to the above picture, the voids on each side (yellow) recess back and form a stop on each side to hold the metal plate in position. This puts the portion on the bottom as the very small load bearing area, especially if you press down on the cover with it open. Even though the other case is fine I will do both for insurance. The kit will ship to repair all four hinges on both side cases.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Lydia-- "A stich in time saves nine"

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Testers needed

OK, I have finalized the kit today. It will require an inner and an outer bracket to work correctly. The bad thing is that the case is not formed the same for the front and back hinge. I fabbed up an outer bracket today and installed it and mine works as good or better than before it broke. Going to try to keep the costs down as much as possible.
    Thinking about a couple of product testers. We will ship free to you and you give a write-up on how it worked, ease of install, etc. I need someone that has a 2014 RTS and a 2015 RTS for testers.