Thread: Grip Puppies

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Grip Puppies

I have a new to me 2012 RT and stumbled across Grip Puppies. Anyone use them? Do they help? Work with the heated grips? Easy to slide on? My hands tend to get numb when I ride, even when I have a very loose grip, so wondering if these are worth getting?
    thanks for any light you can shed on them!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpy Girl View Post
    I have a new to me 2012 RT and stumbled across Grip Puppies. Anyone use them? Do they help? Work with the heated grips? Easy to slide on? My hands tend to get numb when I ride, even when I have a very loose grip, so wondering if these are worth getting?
    NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE TERM "GRIP PUPPIES", I RESEARCHED AND LOOKED FOR LARGER GRIPS, SEVERAL M/C DEALERS, THEN WENT TO THE CAM-AM DEALER. FOUND THAT NO ONE INCLUDING BRP MAKES A LARGER GRIP. HOWEVER THEY HAD A GRIP COVER THAT (LOOKS LIKE A SOCK) SLIPS OVER THE PRESENT HEATED GRIP. IT WORKS GOOD NOT QUIT AS LARGE AS I REALY WANTED. I HAD THEM INSTALL, IT CAN BE TRICKY DUE TO THE RETURN SPRING ON THE RIGHT HANDLE BAR, IT WORKS AND THE HEAT WILL ALSO WORKS I THINK THE PRICE WAS AROUND $13.00

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default LARGER HANDLE BAR GRIPS

NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE TERM "GRIP PUPPIES", I RESEARCHED AND LOOKED FOR LARGER GRIPS, SEVERAL M/C DEALERS, THEN WENT TO THE CAM-AM DEALER. FOUND THAT NO ONE INCLUDING BRP MAKES A LARGER GRIP. HOWEVER THEY HAD A GRIP COVER THAT (LOOKS LIKE A SOCK) SLIPS OVER THE PRESENT HEATED GRIP. IT WORKS GOOD NOT QUIT AS LARGE AS I REALY WANTED. I HAD THEM INSTALL, IT CAN BE TRICKY DUE TO THE RETURN SPRING ON THE RIGHT HANDLE BAR, IT WORKS AND THE HEAT WILL ALSO WORKS I THINK THE PRICE WAS AROUND $13.00

Spyder Garage

TricLed has some foam grip covers that work great, they slide on over your original grips and absorb most of the vibration and are real comfortable, they look great, they work well with heated grips also. Grip Puppies are hard, have an annoying seam and don't last very long. MY .02 cents worth.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default I have a pair.

They're fine. Very easy install and no problem with heated grips.
    So far, my second childhood is better than my first.

Spyder Garage

Get the ones from Tricled.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Grip puppies are cheap, easy to instal, increase the diameter of the grip nicely and allegedly work well with heated grips. Can't speak to that, use heated gloves. And if you decide you don't like them they remove as easy as they install
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

you can also try the weighted bar ends to help with vibrations. I also use heated gloves and prefer to have the grips to where I can wrap my hand around them. They are inexpensive they do work and you can get them on and off easily...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought a pair of "slip over grips" at SpyderFest -- $14... they work ok for hands, BUT I CANNOT FEEL ANY HEAT THRU THEM.. they look like the same material that is used for pipe insulation.. come winter time.. I will have to remove them...

osm

Spyder Garage

I use them, and really like them.

You'll have to trim the right side a little, so it doesn't go over the grip to the bar end (it will bind the throttle if you don't)

The heated grips work very well thru them.

To install them, I take a tall water glass mostly full of water, with a little bit of dish soap. Soak them in there for a few seconds, and then work them on the grip.

If you have an air compressor, it'll go a little easier, as you can just use the air nozzle to push air into the open end of the grip puppy, to help lift it up and slide it on. It's optional, but makes it a little bit easier.

I really like that they expand the diameter of the grips, so my hands are more comfortable.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

The original Grip Puppies were sold by an enterprising vendor on here for awhile. They are no longer on the site.

We bought a pair for each . I liked them for the feel, (making the handgrip "fatter"), and helping to cut down on vibration.

I felt that heat transference for cold weather riding was not good on my machine (2010). Akspyderlady did not notice any problem with heat transfer on her 2011.

I do not use mine any more, and she still has one on her throttle grip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GRIP COVERS

These covers are made from EDPM which I believe is very similar to NOEPRENE....( skin diver suits )....Bike Bandit sells them and also DENNISKIRK.COM part # 595294 $ 12.95....( these are the larger diameter so should fit better ) according to reviews the heaters will work.....They should also last much longer than open cell foam ( ie. grip puppies ).....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Grip Puppies

Love mine and wish I had put them on first thing instad of waiting , would not ride without them , hands no longer go to sleep or crampup.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Tricled Grips

I'm in Cruzr Joe's and samwok's camp. The Tricled grips work very well with my heated grips.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I use them and am pretty happy with them. I had them on my previous bike too. They slide on nicely with a bit of hair spray inside first, and yes, the heated grips work just fine thru them. Cut to length with a pair of scissors first.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have tried them. Like the Grip Buddies much better.

Spyder Garage

Personally, I use Grip Buddies!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Grip Puppies I have used them on all my bikes since they first came on the market. I have had carpal tunnel in both hands. They just work and heat well too
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Another Option

And here is yet another option. These are similar to Grip Puppies (which I have used and like) but they are a wrap with a hook and loop closure making them easy on and off and even temporary if you like. Yes, they leave a "seam" that you can feel on the grips because they are removable but you can get used to that and you can position the seam closure in any area where it bothers you the least.

Neoprene foam grip wraps
    http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43208
    http://www.nojgear.com/NOJ_Neoprene_..._p/gw01-01.htm

The second link I believe is direct to the manufacturer. I do use these on my own Spyder RT-S but being in Southern California in the summer with a bike that is only 1 month old, I haven't had a chance to check them with the heating yet. Of course, if I don't feel enough heat, all I need to do is take them off while it's cold and then put them back on the next day.
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOPE

Quote Originally Posted by pontow View Post
    And here is yet another option. These are similar to Grip Puppies (which I have used and like) but they are a wrap with a hook and loop closure making them easy on and off and even temporary if you like. Yes, they leave a "seam" that you can feel on the grips because they are removable but you can get used to that and you can position the seam closure in any area where it bothers you the least.

Neoprene foam grip wraps
    http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43208
    http://www.nojgear.com/NOJ_Neoprene_..._p/gw01-01.htm

The second link I believe is direct to the manufacturer. I do use these on my own Spyder RT-S but being in Southern California in the summer with a bike that is only 1 month old, I haven't had a chance to check them with the heating yet. Of course, if I don't feel enough heat, all I need to do is take them off while it's cold and then put them back on the next day.
    I dis-agree they aren't like " GRIP PUPPIES " ....puppies are made from OPEN cell foam.......The above are NEOPRENE and are CLOSED cell foam.........They are very different................IMHO the neoprene will outlast the puppies X 3.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I dis-agree they aren't like " GRIP PUPPIES " ....puppies are made from OPEN cell foam.......The above are NEOPRENE and are CLOSED cell foam.........They are very different................IMHO the neoprene will outlast the puppies X 3.........Mike
    They probably are a little tougher than Grip Puppies. I have used both and I was trying to convey to the original poster that they both feel similar to me. For a low dollar item like this, the length of service is only a concern regarding the hassle of ordering another pair and then installing them. Having the hook and loop removable option available with these grip "wraps" also makes the installation a non-issue. My wife is learning to drive our Spyder and these wraps also allow us to remove them for her smaller hands and then slap them back on when I finally get a chance to drive again.
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    TricLed has some foam grip covers that work great, they slide on over your original grips and absorb most of the vibration and are real comfortable, they look great, they work well with heated grips also. Grip Puppies are hard, have an annoying seam and don't last very long. MY .02 cents worth.

Cruzr Joe
    Thanks for the lead Joe. I ordered mine today!

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass