Spyder Garage

Default BRP got it right!!

I got my bike back from having the recall done last week and I finally got a chance to ride it today. WOW what a difference!! I never had an extreme issue with the heat, but there was def some heat. Now after the recall...here are my observations... the heat is gone! the glove box is actually cool to the touch inside. I have Corbin seat with the fuel door and the heat used to pour out of that door... Now it is cool. The bike has a little more mid-range power and, for some reason, it seems to shift smoother...although that makes no sense. I loved this bike from the day I first got on it... NOW I am even more in love with it!! Well done BRP
    Jonny
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Light
    • Spyderpops Bumpskid with TricLED LED kit
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

Same experience I had . . . there was an update to the nanny computer . . . that could account for the smoother shifting

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Glad to be hearing another success story.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Great news..!!

glad to hear that even those without the great heat issue can see such a difference. thanks for posting....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully; it'll be nothing but "Beer & Skittles" from now on!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Not quite a wrap, I think . . .

I had the recall work done last Wednesday and then rode several hundred miles over four days in temperatures ranging from the upper 60s to the high 90s. A few weeks ago I had to put up with excessive heat under the upper area of the bike when temperatures went above 100. And there's always been a lot of heat coming from the radiator and some coming from under the bike near the floorboards and the passenger footrests. The new scoops definitely reduced the upper area heat concentration. However, the lower area heat seems to have increased, especially for my passenger. I'm guessing that this is due to how the new scoops have increased the air flow through the underside of the panels. And there's no obvious exit point for all that heated air except for at the underside of the bike—at the rear of the underbody panels/skid plates. So, while it may appear to some that I'm looking the gift horse in the mouth, I don't consider the recent recall modification satisfactory. There's still too much heat burning my feet at the front (radiator fan vent port) and burning my and my passenger's feet at the sides (exhaust manifold).

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have a solution for directing the heat somewhere other than at the floorboards and rear footrests on the RT-S?

Thanks,
    Dan

2013 RT-S
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

2014 grill cut to fit will fix that

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Yes, I've considered installing the 2014 grill, and I've considered cutting holes in the under plates and skid-guard plastic so that I can put a metal sheet behind that 2014 grill and completely block the air flow. But I think that directing more hot air under the bike will exacerbate the problem of heat coming out from under the bike and onto the footrests (mine and the passenger's). I believe there should be a sufficient exit point somewhere behind the passenger footrest to draw the heat out from under the bike and direct it away. As it is now, heat bottlenecks at the middle of the bike and cooks the riders. There's still a heat trap under the tupperware.

I'm considering adding heat reflecting, self-adhesive material to the back of all the body panels. I'm also going to investigate putting a thermostatically controlled fan that points downward and will force heat out of the heat trap. There may be room where the battery used to be (under the seat in earlier models). If that doesn't work, I may create a v-shaped vent into the rear wheel well. I've got to get that excess heat out and direct it towards the rear of the bike so that the air flow will work to my advantage.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dsoileau View Post
    Yes, I've considered installing the 2014 grill, and I've considered cutting holes in the under plates and skid-guard plastic so that I can put a metal sheet behind that 2014 grill and completely block the air flow. But I think that directing more hot air under the bike will exacerbate the problem of heat coming out from under the bike and onto the footrests (mine and the passenger's). I believe there should be a sufficient exit point somewhere behind the passenger footrest to draw the heat out from under the bike and direct it away. As it is now, heat bottlenecks at the middle of the bike and cooks the riders. There's still a heat trap under the tupperware.

I'm considering adding heat reflecting, self-adhesive material to the back of all the body panels. I'm also going to investigate putting a thermostatically controlled fan that points downward and will force heat out of the heat trap. There may be room where the battery used to be (under the seat in earlier models). If that doesn't work, I may create a v-shaped vent into the rear wheel well. I've got to get that excess heat out and direct it towards the rear of the bike so that the air flow will work to my advantage.
    Heat wrap exhaust headers, remove the cat converter and install bypass. This will greatly reduce heat coming from underneath. 2014 grill will reduce right foot heat. Bike will also run much better.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dsoileau View Post
    Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have a solution for directing the heat somewhere other than at the floorboards and rear footrests on the RT-S?
    My solution:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ght=heat+block

Plus see post 21 here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...TL-POST-RECALL

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post

You do not need to modify the 2014 part to fit. The tab on the right that you removed is fastened with one of the plastic pop rivet fasteners. It fits as designed if assembled in the correct order.

We also mostly blocked the upper grille area with black mesh cloth. All the heat goes out the bottom now. Much better.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You do not need to modify the 2014 part to fit. The tab on the right that you removed is fastened with one of the plastic pop rivet fasteners. It fits as designed if assembled in the correct order.

We also mostly blocked the upper grille area with black mesh cloth. All the heat goes out the bottom now. Much better.
    I modified it for easy install or removal and to allow the bottom to be a flap door

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment